Author Topic: The problem with technology... Update #33  (Read 3686 times)

NyaChan

The problem with technology... Update #33
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
...is learning how to survive without it when it's gone.  Here's the story including both sides ---

Sara and Vicky are going to study at Sara's house and agree to meet for dinner before by text.  The exchange goes as follows:

Sara:  "Do you want to do dinner?"
Vicky:  "Yes! Any ideas?"
Sara:  "TacoPlace?"
Vicky:  "Sounds good to me!"
Sara:  "Maybe meet at 7?"
Vicky: "Perfect."

TacoPlace is a 5 minute walk from Vicky's house.  The girls eat there every once in a while and sometimes they meet at the restaurant and sometimes Sara will park at Vicky's and they will walk over together.  On this occasion, Sara thought she had said "Maybe meet there at 7,"  however, when she parked her car, she realized she did not have her phone to check.  Not wanting to be horribly late by going back home to get it, she decided to just do without it.  She waited a few minutes to see if Vicky would walk up the sidewalk towards TacoPlace, but then figured that she'd go inside and get a table.  If worse came to worse and Vicky thought they were leaving from her apartment, thought Sara, she would realize soon enough when Sara didn't appear at her door and come over to TacoPlace. 

Meanwhile, Vicky is at home and finishing getting ready.  She figures Sara is going to come by so watches some tv while she waits.  Only Sara is not there and it is past 7.  At 7:17, Vicky texts Sara asking, "Are we meeting there or are you parking down here and walking over?"  No response.  She calls 3 times, no response.  Vicky is really worried at this point since Sara is not responding.  She heads downstairs, gets in her car and starts driving.  She goes by Sara's house and Sara's car isn't out front.  She starts the drive home and it is nearing 7:40. 

Back at TacoPlace, Sara has been sitting in the restaurant since 7.  The waitress has been giving her looks since the restaurant is starting to fill up, and Sara isn't sure how long to wait.  She has ordered a soda so she can't just leave to go to Vicky's without asking for a bill.  Her phone is at home so she can't text or call Vicky to see if she is coming.  When the taco shaped clock showed that it was 7:30, Sara finally decided to order food to go as she was starving.  She headed home and looking over by Vicky's house as she drove by at 7:45, she noted that her car was not where it was before. 

Upon reaching home, she checks her phone and sees the text message and the multiple missed calls.  She's angry at having been stood up, but calls Vicky to see what happened, her level of upset going down when she found that she had not actually said "meet THERE" in her text.  The girls share their stories and decide to study together anyways. 

My questions:  Sara is over it, but is frustrated that Vicky didn't just come over to peek in the restaurant, especially since it was so close to her house.  Vicky is sorry that Sara had to wait alone for so long, but thinks it was all just a misunderstanding.  What do you guys think?  How would you have behaved differently if you were either Sara or Vicky?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:14:14 PM by NyaChan »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: The problem with technology...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »
I think the confusion was reasonable. I think if the taco place was so close to Vicky's (5 minute walk) at 7:15, Sara should have just stated walking over there, figuring she would bump into Vicky if Vicky was on her way. I think Vicky was absolutely ridiculous to not swing by and check the taco place when she went out since its so close to her home.

So in short, I think both girls exhibited no common sense in a reasonably confusing situation.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
I'll admit up front I don't own a cell phone, so I don't understand why texting makes things so fluid. 

But where was the confusion here?  It seems very clear to me that both parties agreed to meet for supper at the Taco place at 7pm. 

Why would Vicky have tried to change the plans or thought otherwise?  If I were Sara, I'd have been angry and frustrated, too.

GSNW

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »
I don't think anyone was rude or inconsiderate.  While it may seem obvious to one person that the other would peek inside taco place, people don't always think with the same logic in these situations.  If these two are friends it doesn't seem worth being mad over... just super-clarify next time.

reflection5

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
The real problem with technology is not learning to do with out it - the problem is that people have gotten lazy and use it to replace human contact, and there are those who refuse to actually talk on the phone - even to a good friend. They would rather type/punch numbers and letters on a phone screen.

Forgetting to take your phone is not a technology problem.  It's a human problem.  People forget things.

Did Sara ever think of asking to use a phone at the restaurant to call Vicki and ask what was up?  Apparently not.  But that's what I would have done.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:50:03 PM by reflection5 »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »
The real problem with technology is not learning to do with out it - the problem is that people have gotten lazy and use it to replace human contact, and there are those who refuse to actually talk on the phone - even to a good friend. They would rather type/punch numbers and letters on a phone screen.

Forgetting to take your phone is not a technology problem.  It's a human problem.  People forget things.

Did Sara ever think of asking to use a phone at the restaurant to call Vicki and ask what was up?  Apparently not.

Gotta agree here. Including the part about the use of a restaurant phone. Common sense there.

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »

Did Sara ever think of asking to use a phone at the restaurant to call Vicki and ask what was up?  Apparently not.

Gotta agree here. Including the part about the use of a restaurant phone. Common sense there.

Just thought I'd jump in here to clarify - Sara doesn't have Vicky's number memorized, nor does Vicky have Sara's phone number memorized.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
Did Sara ever think of asking to use a phone at the restaurant to call Vicki and ask what was up?  Apparently not.  But that's what I would have done.

Do people actually know peoples number's anymore?!?!?!
I don't know anyone's number. Not my parents phone numbers, not my best friend's, not my husbands, and I'm confident none of them know mine. Its saved in my phone (and backed up by Google) I have never even seen any of their numbers written on paper!

reflection5

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:47 PM »
Well, failing to memorize a friend's phone number isn't a technology problem either.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 10:54:46 PM »
Well, failing to memorize a friend's phone number isn't a technology problem either.

No but its a reality of life for the last 10-15 years! Its an absolutely unreasonable expectation to think people have phone numbers memorized.

reflection5

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »

No but its a reality of life for the last 10-15 years! Its an absolutely unreasonable expectation to think people have phone numbers memorized.

Reality of whose life?  You'd be surprised. Just because you and your communication circle don't memorize or write down phone numbers doesn't mean it's universal.  Lots of people operate differently.

And Vicki could have dialed 411, called the restaurant and checked to see if Sara was there. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:02:23 PM by reflection5 »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »

Just because you and your communication circle don't memorize or write down phone numbers doesn't mean it's universal.  Lots of people operate differently.

And Vicki could have dialed 411, called the restaurant and checked to see if Sara was there.

Oh Vicky certainly could have called the restaurant!
But also, honestly it was a 5 minute walk - it just seems super silly to me neither of them though to take 5 minutes to check the other's location! instead they each just waited 30-40 minutes!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 11:07:32 PM »
Believe it or not, phone books do still exist. Not to mention, there are ways of calling for numbers.

You don't have to memorize phone numbers.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »

Reality of whose life?  You'd be surprised. Just because you and your communication circle don't memorize or write down phone numbers doesn't mean it's universal.  Lots of people operate differently.

Again, I agree with Reflection.

Like I was saying before, I agree that this isn't a technology problem. It was a common sense problem - on two people's parts. Technology had nothing to do with the actual issue here.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:12:17 PM by DottyG »

reflection5

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »
If people choose for their lives to revolve around text messages only, then they have to learn to live with the consequences when they make the human mistake of forgetting their phone.