Author Topic: The problem with technology... Update #33  (Read 4069 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: The problem with technology...
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »
Believe it or not, phone books do still exist. Not to mention, there are ways of calling for numbers.

You don't have to memorize phone numbers.

Phone books only work for people who have listed, landlines. I, and my DH, and many of my friends gave up on landlines years ago and solely have cell phones.

But again, regardless of any phone issues, the women were a 5 minute walk (so presumably and even shorter drive and apparently they each were driving) away from each other! And both knew of both locations, and neither checked. That to me is where the ball was dropped, more then the phone issue.

reflection5

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 11:27:58 PM »
Phone books only work for people who have listed, landlines

The restaurant most likely had a listed telephone number. 

Again, you keep referring to the preferences of you, your DH, and your own personal communication circle.  As I said, others often operate differently.

EllenS

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »
Yes, it was a silly misunderstanding.

Yes, Vicki could have stopped by the restaurant.  There are a number of things each of them could have done differently, but did not occur to them at the time.  They are both right, and they were both wrong.

If either of them is more interested in holding onto a snit, than holding onto a friend, perhaps they should find other people to study with.  I know if someone agreed to put a misunderstanding behind us, and then continued to act aggravated with me because of said misunderstanding, we would not remain friends for long.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »
Phone books only work for people who have listed, landlines

The restaurant most likely had a listed telephone number. 

Again, you keep referring to the preferences of you, your DH, and your own personal communication circle.  As I said, others often operate differently.

Yes, my reference is my circle. But my experience is not uncommon. Millions of Americans, especially younger ones, don't have landlines and don't have phone number's anywhere but in their cell phone (or backed up on a 'cloud'). Its pretty common, if not totally universal.

And you keep coming back to using phones. Vicky probably didn't think to call the restaurant because she didn't know Sara didn't have her phone with her. She tried calling Sara's phone. So she thought she did try calling.

Her next step was to physically look for Sara. But instead of looking in the closest place, which was a very real possibility, she chose to check the farther place first. Regardless of any phone issue, this was where she definitely lacked common sense. If the taco place is a 5 minute walk away, its mostly likely no more then a 5 minute drive either and she was in the car anyway.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 04:06:56 AM »
WillyNilly and reflections, enough with the sniping, please. You're arguing over a difference of lifestyles and experiences,neither of which are right or wrong, they just are.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 04:14:40 AM »

My questions:  Sara is over it, but is frustrated that Vicky didn't just come over to peek in the restaurant, especially since it was so close to her house.   Vicky is sorry that Sara had to wait alone for so long, but thinks it was all just a misunderstanding.  What do you guys think?  How would you have behaved differently if you were either Sara or Vicky?
Bolding mine

If Sara is over it, why is she frustrated? Have they not done the rational thing and chalked it up to miscommunication or are they having a dispute and involving others to take sides?
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 04:48:35 AM »
Memorizing phone numbers for many people is a thing of the past, mostly because we no longer have to and we are no longer repeatedly dialing those numbers manually; we simply look for a name in our contact lists and push a button. So if I forgot my cell phone, I might run into the same problem. I have to wonder how we managed before? Actually, how we "managed" before cell phones was exactly this scenario: if there was a miscommunication or someone got held up, the other person waited and waited and waited, tried calling from a pay phone (which only worked if the person you were meeting hadn't left home yet) and eventually gave up. This was usually followed by a phone call much later that evening: "Where were you? I waited for an hour and gave up." "Sorry, my car got stuck in a ditch" or even, "I waited and waited too. For an hour. Oh, you meant the Starbucks on X and Y street? I was waiting at the Starbucks on A and B street."

So I guess this thread just illustrates the problems we had BEFORE this technology.

FWIW, I think Vicky should have popped her head inside the restaurant. And to me, "meet at 7" means you meet at the destination. If I was going to someone's house first, I'd say, "I'll come over to your place at 7."

Still, I don't think anyone should be mad at anyone. It was clearly a miscommunication.

SpikeMichigan

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 06:11:51 AM »

I have to say, I would be surprised to learn somebody had any of their friends phone numbers memorized. Apart from my home phone number (the same for the 23 years I've been alive) and my mobile number (the same for about 7 years), I don't know anyones. I've definitely heard of this as a generational thing.

As for the situation at hand - simple communication error. Not worth making a big deal over really, and I'd be weirded out if somebody I know turned it into an 'issue'. Mistakes happen. She'll know in future to check the restaurant.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 07:19:14 AM »
DH and I had this issue before cell phones.  We'd arranged to meet and eat at the dining hall in our university but hadn't been terribly clear on where we'd meet, just when.  I was waiting outside my dorm, he was waiting inside the dining hall.   What really seems silly to me now is that my dorm was right next to the dining hall and I was sitting just outside of it.

How he didn't manage to see me or I him, I don't know, though my guess is he took the hallway that connected the student center to the dining hall since he expected me to come inside. 

So it's certainly not a technology issue, just a communication one.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »
I have to say, I would be surprised to learn somebody had any of their friends phone numbers memorized. Apart from my home phone number (the same for the 23 years I've been alive) and my mobile number (the same for about 7 years), I don't know anyones. I've definitely heard of this as a generational thing.

I got a cell phone when I was 20 - that's 13 years ago now.

The only numbers I have memorized are those that haven't changed since then (my parents', my DH's cell, my home number, my sisters') and my work number (because it's embarrassing when clients ask and I have to look it up).

This is coming from somebody who is good with numbers. Prior to cell phones I'd memorize everything.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 07:57:32 AM »
I'm not good at remembering numbers myself.  I used to do very poorly in social studies tests that involved remembering exact dates.  So having a cell phone that remembers them for me and technology that allows for transfer of info between phones is even better.

I can remember my number, DH's and my oldest son's but that's because their #'s only differ in the last digit. 

ETA: I also have a hard time remembering any zipcode but my own.  I send stuff to my bff a few times a year and still have to look up her zip code though I can remember the rest of her address.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
The other lesson here for all of us is to be specific.

"Now, specifically, where will we meet?"
Settle that right away.

If either of them is more interested in holding onto a snitthan holding onto a friend, perhaps they should find other people to study with.  I know if someone agreed to put a misunderstanding behind us, and then continued to act aggravated with me because of said misunderstanding, we would not remain friends for long.

I'm w/ EllenS.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
But again, regardless of any phone issues, the women were a 5 minute walk (so presumably and even shorter drive and apparently they each were driving) away from each other! And both knew of both locations, and neither checked.

Exactly!  Lack of common sense on both sides.

If Sara is over it, why is she frustrated?

My question as well.

I have to say, I would be surprised to learn somebody had any of their friends phone numbers memorized.

Prepare yourself to be shocked.  I do.  And quite a few people I know do as well.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
The problem is the phrase "we'll meet at 7".

A time is not enough to establish a meeting. You also need to fix the location.

I've learned from dealing with my dearest sib that you need to be very, VERY clear about these things. Maps help. "See, I'll be standing right there, waiting for you. Yes, at 7. No, not 6:07. Seven o'clock. Yes, PM."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

fountainof

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »
I think being upset about the situation is an over-reaction.  On friend forgot her phone and didn't know the phone number of the other, the other one didn't think to check the restaurant but did check other places.  Communication fails on both sides.  Something me and my friends would find hilarious and a great story rather than being upset about it.  After all both parties contributed something to the situation and it was an accident/misunderstanding/whatever, nothing was done purposely.