Author Topic: Adoption finalization party - gift ideas?  (Read 7184 times)

Green Bean

Adoption finalization party - gift ideas?
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:42:02 PM »
My daughter has a friend (age 7) that is being adopted by her stepfather. The process will be final in  a few weeks. My DD has been invited to a party to celebrate with her friend.

Is this a gifting occasion? What kind of gift would be appropriate for a child of this age?

Arrynne

Re: Adoption finalization party - gift ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »
When we had adoption day for our son, we threw a big party. We didn't expect any gifts, but some of our friends did choose to give them. Some of the gifts were typical kids birthday party stuff. Others were somehow symbolic of our new family. We were just happy to have our friends share in our happy moment.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
I don't know if it is a gifting occasion or not since I've never been invited to one and know no one else who has either.

But if you're wondering what gift would be appropriate for an eight year old, why not ask your daughter.  She would probably know what she likes (herself) and she might also know what the other child already has or doesn't have and would like.

Jones

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
Hmm. I've been through a few adoptions, rarely celebrated with a real "party", usually a barbeque or family dinner. If you wanted to give something for the occasion, you could; probably something like a book, or journal, or a small necklace.

Oh Joy

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:32:05 PM »
How about a picture frame craft kit, and maybe a $5 gift card to a local retailer where she can print a favorite family photo?

amylouky

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 12:03:07 AM »
When we adopted our DSs, I made them jerseys with their new last name on the back.
Also, someone gave us a gift certificate to have a family portrait made, that was much appreciated!

delabela

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 01:44:23 AM »
I would give a gift because I love giving gifts - but I don't think it's required.

I like the idea of a picture frame or maybe a kid friendly photo album.  I think also just the kind of gift you would give for a birthday would be appropriate - it is a new beginning for her. 

Redsoil

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 04:11:50 AM »
Maybe a nice (blank) card with a sincere message of congratulations and good wishes on this special day, along with movie tickets just for daughter and father to spend quality time together?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »
How about a picture frame that says "Family" so they can put a picture from their day in?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
I wouldn't consider it to be a gift giving occasion. But if the child is changing their last name, maybe a monogramed pillow or a frame with her new monogram?