On this baby shower. I posted about this place in the I Need a Hug Folder and here in All in Day's Work. Links to both threads:http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=125498.0http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=125788.0
So, I was invited to the baby shower for one of the people I support who is my "boss". I don't know if I should go.
1) I know I will never be hired on full-time as a regular employee.
2) The shower is being held on Friday afternoon, during work hours. The company policy is contractors (me) are not to be included in any company sponsored social events or activities. I think a shower qualifies, but I checked with my agency and she thinks I should go. However, my agency contact has no idea how psychotic the environment is here.
3) If I do go, it will be on my own time and I'm really not inclined to give up my personal time for this event.
4) I do not want to mess up any references I may get, but on the other hand, I'm not sure anyone here would give me one as that is probably against company policy as well.
5) I just got an e-mail from backup manager telling me I need to be here for very specific hours as support, and not to deviate from them in any way.
I'm torn. My inclination, right now, is to not go and send a gift. I don't want to look petty, and am afraid I may end up doing just that.
What would you do? Go or not go and just send a gift?