Author Topic: Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"  (Read 10685 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:17 PM »
Things that are out of place, things that appear or disappear, odd things that really make you wonder what on earth happened while you were gone.

Two examples:

1. Today, when I got home from work, I saw 4 first-aid kits on the kitchen counter. Our first aid kits are stored in a cabinet above the sink (I know, I really do need to consolidate, but they are somewhat organized for specific injuries.) My first thought was "Oh, no. DD#2 must have injured herself before she left for school" (She won't be home for at least another hour) After looking around for bloody spots/tissue and finding no clue, I thought "What on earth did she do to herself that she took down all 4 kits?" Hmmmmm . . .

2. Last week CW came to work in the morning and said "What the heck this? Where did this come from?" There was a sizable cigarette ash in the middle of her desk. Our facility is a no-smoking building. We figure that a security guard found her desk the perfect place to take an illegal smoke break, but still . . . very odd, and Hmmmmm . . .

What about you? Have you found odd things out of place in your home, at work, or elsewhere that made you go "Hmmmm?"

edited to add a word so the sentence made sense.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:17:24 PM by jpcher »

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
I once found a huge stock pot in my cabinet.  I had no idea where it came from, no one in my house knew where it came from.  One day it was just gone.  We joke that my cabinets must have portals to other kitchens or something since I've also had the same thing happen with a random plate, colander, butcher knife and assorted flatware...none of which matched anything I own and do not belong to any friends or family.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kaymyth

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:29:34 PM »
I once found a huge stock pot in my cabinet.  I had no idea where it came from, no one in my house knew where it came from.  One day it was just gone.  We joke that my cabinets must have portals to other kitchens or something since I've also had the same thing happen with a random plate, colander, butcher knife and assorted flatware...none of which matched anything I own and do not belong to any friends or family.

Perhaps your cabinets are a popular vacation spot amongst the cookware population.   ;D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
My office keys and ID.

Some years ago, we went on vacation.  I swear I left my keys and ID on the dining room table when we left. 

When we returned home, they were nowhere to be found.  Although we turned the house upside down, they remain lost to this day.

BTW, I'd like it very much if a nice, new wok decided to vacation in our kitchen. 

Coralreef

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »

Wow!  You found the sacred bree*ding grounds of kitchen implements.  ;D

[/right

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:58 AM »
I went to a mom's group at somebody's house once.  When I went to leave, I couldn't find my keys.  I'd driven there, so they had to be somewhere between the car and the house.  There were a whole bunch of keys on a long, bright-red lanyard, so you'd think it would be hard to miss.  I checked in the car, the path I'd walked to the house, the chair I'd been sitting at that I'd tucked my purse under, everywhere I could think of.  I ended up having to use a spare key to get home.  What mystified me is that I *never* found the keys.  Considering that I'd cleaned and vacuumed the car many times since, and that I continued to be acquainted with the woman who had hosted that meeting (so presumably if she found the keys in her yard or house she'd have brought them to me), it's just such a mystery that they never, ever showed up again.

I also lost my friend Giraffe, Esq.'s key when she so kindly trusted me with one on a visit to her city.  :(  I never found that one, either, even though I didn't bring all that much stuff to her house, so other than being in my clothes, my coat pocket, my purse, or my suitcase, there weren't that many places it could be!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
A bird feather.

One afternoon, I was sitting at my work desk and printed something.  I went over to the printer (a few feet away) and when I came back, there was a bird feather sitting right on top of my keyboard.

I looked up and around to see if a bird had somehow found their way into the 50th floor office space of a highrise building but nada.

I have no idea where that thing came from.  It was a decent sized feather.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »
I once found a rattlesnake rattle on the floor in a doctor's office. 
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
MommyPenguin wrote:

"What mystified me is that I *never* found the keys.  Considering that I'd cleaned and vacuumed the car many times since, and that I continued to be acquainted with the woman who had hosted that meeting (so presumably if she found the keys in her yard or house she'd have brought them to me), it's just such a mystery that they never, ever showed up again."

In this case I'd bet that they either got dropped outside and a passerby took them, or they got left inside in a place where they'd be discarded without anyone knowing.  I had a friend almost lose his keys because they fell into an empty pizza box and whoever put the boxes aside didn't notice when they cleaned up.  The owner of the apartment found the keys the next day when he took the garbage to the dumpster, happened to tip the pizza box on the way and noticed there was something inside.  If he hadn't tipped the box, the keys would have gone in the trash with no one the wiser and when my friend went to leave he'd have had the same problem you had.

Dazi wrote:

"I once found a huge stock pot in my cabinet.  I had no idea where it came from, no one in my house knew where it came from.  One day it was just gone.  We joke that my cabinets must have portals to other kitchens or something since I've also had the same thing happen with a random plate, colander, butcher knife and assorted flatware...none of which matched anything I own and do not belong to any friends or family."

I'd have to suspect a family member or someone with access to your house is playing a prank on you.

Virg

reflection5

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
Can’t resist – although this is fictional, I think the ultimate example is in Fatal Attraction Michael Douglas’ wife coming home and finding a pot boiling on her kitchen stove.  She frowns, thinks ??? “what the ?”, and most of us know how that turned out.  :-\

Long time ago I arrived at work and found a pair of male briefs on the floor near my desk.  (Janitor?)  I grabbed a plastic bag and very gingerly disposed of them. 

snowflake

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »
Yes, this happens often.  I find a book or CD and say to my husband: "Hey!  When did you buy this?  I've been dying to read this!"   And then he looks at me blankly and tells me that I bought it 5 years ago and he saw me read it.  Then I read the first chapter (or listen to a few tracks) and discover that yes, I really did buy it and forgot.

Sigh.

I know Alzheimer's runs in my family, but I was sort of hoping that it would happen when I was 80.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
We live in the country and have an outdoor cat. One day, he showed up at meal time with a new collar. Since I knew my dh didn't buy it and I didn't buy it, we have no idea where it came from. A week later, the collar was gone.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
We live in the country and have an outdoor cat. One day, he showed up at meal time with a new collar. Since I knew my dh didn't buy it and I didn't buy it, we have no idea where it came from. A week later, the collar was gone.

Oh, dear. I bet someone put it on him, thinking, "There, Snowball's got a collar". Then, next week, realized, "Whoops, that's not Snowball...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mumma to KMC

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

Oh, dear. I bet someone put it on him, thinking, "There, Snowball's got a collar". Then, next week, realized, "Whoops, that's not Snowball...."

That's what I'm thinking as well.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 07:03:01 AM »
Things that are out of place, things that appear or disappear, odd things that really make you wonder what on earth happened while you were gone.

Two examples:

1. Today, when I got home from work, I saw 4 first-aid kits on the kitchen counter. Our first aid kits are stored in a cabinet above the sink (I know, I really do need to consolidate, but they are somewhat organized for specific injuries.) My first thought was "Oh, no. DD#2 must have injured herself before she left for school" (She won't be home for at least another hour) After looking around for bloody spots/tissue and finding no clue, I thought "What on earth did she do to herself that she took down all 4 kits?" Hmmmmm . . .

2. Last week CW came to work in the morning and said "What the heck this? Where did this come from?" There was a sizable cigarette ash in the middle of her desk. Our facility is a no-smoking building. We figure that a security guard found her desk the perfect place to take an illegal smoke break, but still . . . very odd, and Hmmmmm . . .

What about you? Have you found odd things out of place in your home, at work, or elsewhere that made you go "Hmmmm?"

edited to add a word so the sentence made sense.
wait - so why DID she take out four first aid kits? (curious minds etc)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools