Author Topic: Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"  (Read 10766 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
Dazi wrote:

"I once found a huge stock pot in my cabinet.  I had no idea where it came from, no one in my house knew where it came from.  One day it was just gone.  We joke that my cabinets must have portals to other kitchens or something since I've also had the same thing happen with a random plate, colander, butcher knife and assorted flatware...none of which matched anything I own and do not belong to any friends or family."

I'd have to suspect a family member or someone with access to your house is playing a prank on you.

Virg

I'd agree with you except that my DH is the only other person that has a key to our home and he is way too cheap to spend over $100.00 for a Cuisinart 10-12 qt stock pot as a joke...now if it was some $10.00 Walmart one maybe. It has reappeared and disappeared many times over the years.  None of my friends or family own a similar pot. Same thing with the butcher knife and colander...both really expensive pieces.  The random small stuff I was willing to chalk up to stuff he may have accidentally brought home from work from the communal extra dishes.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
I love to write with fountain pens and have several beautiful ones. I found a clear plastic Lamy pen about three years ago and I used it for a short time. It disappeared. We have moved since then, and my son found it in the garage sitting on top of the table, where I pass every day. I put a fresh ink cartridge in it, and have it in my purse.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »
Things that are out of place, things that appear or disappear, odd things that really make you wonder what on earth happened while you were gone.

Two examples:

1. Today, when I got home from work, I saw 4 first-aid kits on the kitchen counter. Our first aid kits are stored in a cabinet above the sink (I know, I really do need to consolidate, but they are somewhat organized for specific injuries.) My first thought was "Oh, no. DD#2 must have injured herself before she left for school" (She won't be home for at least another hour) After looking around for bloody spots/tissue and finding no clue, I thought "What on earth did she do to herself that she took down all 4 kits?" Hmmmmm . . .

2. Last week CW came to work in the morning and said "What the heck this? Where did this come from?" There was a sizable cigarette ash in the middle of her desk. Our facility is a no-smoking building. We figure that a security guard found her desk the perfect place to take an illegal smoke break, but still . . . very odd, and Hmmmmm . . .

What about you? Have you found odd things out of place in your home, at work, or elsewhere that made you go "Hmmmm?"

edited to add a word so the sentence made sense.
wait - so why DID she take out four first aid kits? (curious minds etc)

She was looking for an ACE bandage, which was in the bottom box (with splints/slings, etc.) that we never use. She twisted her ankle the night before and thought it would help her since she'd be on her feet all day long.

She's fine, nothing major. Thanks for asking. ;D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »
I think I told this story before.  Anyway, a relative kept having her paychecks bounce.  She was about to go to small claims court, but could not find the checks.  Years later, they appeared on top of a high window air conditioner.  There is no reason why they would be up there.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
I think I have told this one before, but we came home from work one day to find an egg on the kitchen floor. Yes, a perfect chicken egg. No cracks on the shell or anything. Which is even weirder because I don't keep eggs in the house; we use liquid eggs in a carton.

We have a large, open kitchen so DH and I both got on our hands and knees and looked under the baker's rack and microwave stand. We scratched our heads over that but ultimately put it in the trash.

A little later that same evening I walked out in the kitchen and found...another egg. On the floor. In the middle of the room. I checked the trash can and the original egg was still in there, so it was definintely a second egg. To this day we cannot come up with a reasonable explaination for their appearance.

We still joke that we have the world's only egg-laying cat (male, at that).

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

sevenday

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »
Is your cat indoor-outdoor? My parents had a cat deposit a bird egg on their kitchen floor once...

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
I came home one day to find a sack on my front porch, containing a couple dozen cans of cat food. It was a miscellaneous collection--big & small cans of all sorts of brands and flavors. I do have cats, but they only get dry food. Quizzing of friends and neighbors brought no answers.

My local animal shelter has a pet food bank.  The idea is that it is better to help people in financial difficulty to feed pets than to have to deal with the pets being surrendered to the shelter. Better for both pets & owners. The pet food bank got all the cans.

I never found out where the cat food came from.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

SamiHami

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »
Is your cat indoor-outdoor? My parents had a cat deposit a bird egg on their kitchen floor once...

He is 100% indoor. And even if he were allowed out...how would be he get 2 chicken eggs in (up the brick steps to the house), over the threshold, through the living room to the kitchen without even cracking one of them? I don't know if we'll ever figure that one out.

SamiHami

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
I came home one day to find a sack on my front porch, containing a couple dozen cans of cat food. It was a miscellaneous collection--big & small cans of all sorts of brands and flavors. I do have cats, but they only get dry food. Quizzing of friends and neighbors brought no answers.

My local animal shelter has a pet food bank.  The idea is that it is better to help people in financial difficulty to feed pets than to have to deal with the pets being surrendered to the shelter. Better for both pets & owners. The pet food bank got all the cans.

I never found out where the cat food came from.

Maybe a neighbor had a cat that passed away and figured they would give you the food they had left? But...then again, why wouldn't they have said something about it. Very strange indeed.

reflection5

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »
Maybe a neighbor had a cat that passed away and figured they would give you the food they had left? But...then again, why wouldn't they have said something about it. Very strange indeed.

That's what I was thinking - either their cat passed away or the cat of someone they know.  Still odd not to say something or leave a short note.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »
We had a head-scratcher a few years ago.  There was an envelope in our mailbox from someone else in our building.  It contained a group photograph from a party we had attended about ten years before. 

We didn't know the people who sent it.  We do know they weren't at the party because we knew everyone there. 

It was a nice photograph and we were happy to have it but it's still a mystery. 

Along the same line, we're still getting mail with our correct address down to the apt. no.  The problem is the people to whom these are addressed have never lived here. We know this because we moved in on the day the building was approved for occupancy.   

We've been keeping track and, if this mail is to be believed, there are now 15 people living with us in our two bedroom flat. 

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »
Found a large bright yellow shovel (price tag still on it) in our garage. No clue where it came from, and not the sort we'd use or buy. It's HUGE and ergonomic, and looks too big to even handle.

Puzzled over that one for a few weeks. Turns out my FIL left it for us because it was too big for him.

We also periodically find empty beer bottles and beer caps hidden in weird parts of the house, but there really isn't much mystery to that - generally it happens a week or two after DS1 or DS2 has been home  ;).  .  They are both of legal age, so the only question is why they find it easier to creatively stash them somewhere than to just toss them in the recycling.

SamiHami

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
We had a head-scratcher a few years ago.  There was an envelope in our mailbox from someone else in our building.  It contained a group photograph from a party we had attended about ten years before. 

We didn't know the people who sent it.  We do know they weren't at the party because we knew everyone there. 

It was a nice photograph and we were happy to have it but it's still a mystery. 

Along the same line, we're still getting mail with our correct address down to the apt. no.  The problem is the people to whom these are addressed have never lived here. We know this because we moved in on the day the building was approved for occupancy.   

We've been keeping track and, if this mail is to be believed, there are now 15 people living with us in our two bedroom flat.

Well, that sounds cozy!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »
Perhaps a bit too cozy. 

We've talked to the post office about this.  We've put up large stickers on the  inside floor and sides of our mailbox that ONLY mail for (our first names and last names) belong in this box. Still, they come. 

We're just afraid that the Housing Authority might get wind of this and decide to pay us a visit.  If we could contact these people we would, but the only address we have for them is our address.  We've even invested in a rubber stamp that says 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS'.  So far, nothing has worked. 

TOLady

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
This just happened over the weekend.

We have our transit passes mailed to our house on a monthly basis and they usually arrive around the 20th.  I recognize the envelop and always keep an eye out for it and when it arrives, take out mine and put in my wallet and give my husband his. This month, we didn't get them. I was getting a bit miffed since I would have to go to the headquarters and it's a real pain.

I was cleaning my bookcase and opened a box I keep there for the old transit passes and there on top of the pile was the May 2013 passes. I know I didn't put them there and husband didn't put them there. So how did they get there?  :o