Author Topic: Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"  (Read 10996 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »
My college ring. I think my jr. year, We flew from NJ/Md (me) to OR to spend Christmas with my dadís family. I had only had my ring a short time, and was quite proud of it, gold with black onyx. We were staying at my grandmotherís house, and she had no dishwasher, so that was me. We also had my various cousins etc. wandering in and out. I was wearing that ring, plus 2-3 others.

I took them all off, put them on the kitchen table, and went to do the dishes. When I finished, I think maybe I left the room, donít really remember, but I came back, and all my rings except that one were there. We looked high and low, emptied the trash, moved the stove and fridge out, and looked everywhere. It was nowhere to be found. Yet the others were undisturbed. This was 25+ years ago. After my grandmother passed away, dad went out to help his siblings clean out the house, and prior to that, I had a dream that my ring was in a sugarbowl, so I asked him to look there. nothing. I hate to say it, but the only logical explanation is perhaps one of my cousinís took it. It was only off my hand manybe 20 minutes, including the time it took to do the dishes, so it couldn't have gone far. Had it fallen on the floor, it was heavy enough i would have heard it ping!

The other is my roasting pan. I have had a great cast aluminum roasting pan, double sided, my mom got at a garage sale. I went to use it last Thanksgiving and it was nowhwere to be found. Now its huge; top and bottom, so you can cover it, or use it as two. I tore apart my kitchen but it was nowhere to be found. I either gave it away (which I think I would have remembered) or I left it when I moved here EIGHT years ago. And just missed it, but I could swear Iíve used it since I moved to this apt.  Itís a mystery.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
I had a combination lock on my locker in High School.  Today (5284296) years later I still remember the combo.

Funny "hmmmmm" part - I once came across a lock and unlocked it using my HS combo.  This was NOT my HS locker lock, that was still in a drawer with a slip of paper with the combo written on it just in case I forgot.  I pulled it out just to be sure.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »
Perhaps a bit too cozy. 

We've talked to the post office about this.  We've put up large stickers on the  inside floor and sides of our mailbox that ONLY mail for (our first names and last names) belong in this box. Still, they come. 

We're just afraid that the Housing Authority might get wind of this and decide to pay us a visit.  If we could contact these people we would, but the only address we have for them is our address.  We've even invested in a rubber stamp that says 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS'.  So far, nothing has worked.

I'd be very nervous that someone is perpetrating a fraud somewhere, using your address.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
We have considered this but, with one exception, the mail has been benign. 

Mostly, it's been catalogs for baby things and toys.  We did receive a holiday card.  The only thing that seemed in the least troubling was something that may have been a mailing from a credit card company. 

We keep a close eye on our accounts and everything is just fine but thanks for the alert. 

Now,it's time to go and make dinner for 17 people.  ;D

Minmom3

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »
We had a head-scratcher a few years ago.  There was an envelope in our mailbox from someone else in our building.  It contained a group photograph from a party we had attended about ten years before. 

We didn't know the people who sent it.  We do know they weren't at the party because we knew everyone there. 

It was a nice photograph and we were happy to have it but it's still a mystery. 

Along the same line, we're still getting mail with our correct address down to the apt. no.  The problem is the people to whom these are addressed have never lived here. We know this because we moved in on the day the building was approved for occupancy.   

We've been keeping track and, if this mail is to be believed, there are now 15 people living with us in our two bedroom flat.

What a PITA...  What I did when I had easy access to a few sheets of mailing labels was to print up a label that said:  MOVED, left no forwarding address.  Printed up 2 or 3 sheets worth.  That way, when ever we got mail for Not Us, I'd slap a sticker on it over the address, but not blocking the name.  It made dealing with the mail much easier, and did very slowly reduce the incidence of Other People's mail we got.  Mostly I did it so I didn't have to write on envelopes, multiple envelopes, every darned DAY.!   >:(
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »

Mostly, it's been catalogs for baby things and toys.  We did receive a holiday card.  The only thing that seemed in the least troubling was something that may have been a mailing from a credit card company. 

We keep a close eye on our accounts and everything is just fine but thanks for the alert. 

Now,it's time to go and make dinner for 17 people.  ;D

It is possible that there is a very similar address with maybe a directional difference?  1121 E. 121st St. rather than 1121 W. 121st St. ?  Or a 1121 E. 121st Lane or Place or Avenue?*

If so, it's possible the people addressing the mail may be making the mistake and the people at the other address are wondering whatever happened to that card or catalog.  Otherwise I might try looking my address up on the web to see who else might be listed as living there.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »
The odd thing is that our building has an unusual way of numbering apartments.  Other buildings use a number followed by a letter like apt. 12C. Because our building has an odd layout, the numbering system is unique.

The apartments are given a letter a number and another letter. Although this isn't an actual apartment number, think of 'Q5Z' as an example. 

That would be hard to mistake.     
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:25:42 AM by Thipu1 »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »
Today I found a spoon in the freezer.

I asked DD#1. She said "Maybe somebody wanted something cold? I dunno."

I asked DD#2. She said "What's a spoon doing in the freezer?"

Just odd . . . hmmmm.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »
Many moons ago, my little library circle went on a girls getaway vacation to a little Pennsylvania resort.  One member of the group had a birthday that weekend and we were toasting her day when, inexplicably, the waitstaff appeared with a small birthday cake and they sang the traditional anthem.

The mystery?  *I* didn't order a birthday cake for Friend.  Neither of the others ordered the cake and Friend doesn't really LIKE cake so she didn't order it for herself.  Her husband knows she is not a cake fancier, her sisters did not know where she was going and since it was a different one of us who made reservations, the staff would not know her birthday was coming up.

To this day we have no idea where that cake came from.

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »
I am the Head Buyer of Sox, Drawers and Other stuff around here, and I do the laundry for the past 19 years or so, so I know what we have/need/should buy....

I was taking DH's laundry out of the dryer one day last month, and this weird, blue dress sock showed up. It's obviously a man's but we have no idea where it came from. The very same thing happen the next week, only the sock was a pale mint green. DH has a sense of humor, but he swears they aren't his (and I know that I've never bought pairs like that....)

Now if only yhe dryer could produce a new car......... lol
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
Yarnspinner wrote:

"One member of the group had a birthday that weekend and we were toasting her day when, inexplicably, the waitstaff appeared with a small birthday cake and they sang the traditional anthem."

My bet is that one of the staff overheard you talking about her birthday, and responded with a cake and song.  Most restaurants are prepared to address a birthday at short notice so it's not at all odd that they had a little cake at hand.

Virg

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »
I had one the other night. I am blind as a bat, and only take my glasses off to shower and sleep. I will even wear them in teh pool or ocean, as long as I'm not putting my head under.

Due to the actions of a long-ago cat, who liked to swipe things, including my glasses, off the nightstand, I now put them in a hard case, and the case on my nightstand. I never fall asleep with them on, as Iím afraid Iím going to damage them, and they were quite pricy.  Once in a blue moon, however, since I have no cat, I will just put them on my nightstand, but rarely.  Sometimes I put the  case on the bed, or on the vanity on the other side of my bed, but I always can find it. The other night, it wasnít on my nightstand, but I distinctly recall picking up the case from where it was, so I would think I put my glasses in the case.

Woke up in the middle of the night, rolled over, and felt something hard underneath me. Which turned out to be my glasses! I have no idea how they got there, since if I hadnít felt like finding the case, I would have just put them there, but I remember finding the case. And there is no reason they should have been IN my bed at all. Very bizarre.

Dawse

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »

I used to work for a catalogue company - it's just possible that someone in their mailing department is being lazy. The way our address system used to work, we put in the post code and house name or number and it would search for the address. If it didn't find anything, it would come up with some suggestions in case you had entered something incorrectly or you could do an override and enter the address manually - but as this takes, you know, time, I'd bet at least a few people just pick an address from the suggested list and go 'that'll do', hence you ending up with a mailing not for you. I agree, though, that many is WEIRD.

Also from working at the catalogue company, if you send an unopened catalogue back with something like 'Return to sender, unknown at this address' they should take your address off their mailing list. Might take a while though :-\
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
Yarnspinner wrote:

"One member of the group had a birthday that weekend and we were toasting her day when, inexplicably, the waitstaff appeared with a small birthday cake and they sang the traditional anthem."

My bet is that one of the staff overheard you talking about her birthday, and responded with a cake and song.  Most restaurants are prepared to address a birthday at short notice so it's not at all odd that they had a little cake at hand.

Virg

I don't know about that since many people don't like being the center of attention.  Very risky for a restaurant to surprise a customer like that not knowing how people will react.  My thought was they made a mistake on which table ordered the cake and now they are going to have to scramble up something for the correct table.

Dawse

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
Many moons ago, my little library circle went on a girls getaway vacation to a little Pennsylvania resort.  One member of the group had a birthday that weekend and we were toasting her day when, inexplicably, the waitstaff appeared with a small birthday cake and they sang the traditional anthem.

The mystery?  *I* didn't order a birthday cake for Friend.  Neither of the others ordered the cake and Friend doesn't really LIKE cake so she didn't order it for herself.  Her husband knows she is not a cake fancier, her sisters did not know where she was going and since it was a different one of us who made reservations, the staff would not know her birthday was coming up.

To this day we have no idea where that cake came from.

Similarly -

We used to go on holiday to caravan parks when I was young. One year, my mum picked one that had a pretty good kid's programme with a mascot called something like Barney Bear. My birthday tends to fall in the holidays, and so it was this year. On my birthday, a lady from the kid's programme comes over to the caravan, with a birthday card for me and a plushie Barney Bear. To this day, my mum swears she didn't tell anyone at the park it was my birthday, my dad says it wasn't him, afaik it wasn't my grandparents... it remains a total mystery how anyone knew it was my birthday that day. Just weird. I think I still have the bear somewhere though ;D
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'