Author Topic: Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"  (Read 10437 times)

Clarissa

Re: Finding odd things that make you go "hmmmmm"
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
Sorry Shoo. I tried to quote and reply but it went wrong. I was in the carnival, on the main float. But I still don't know who sent me the pictures!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
I haven't talked to DD#2 yet, she's at work, but this really made me go "hmmmm"  ??? ??? ???

I parked my car in the driveway Friday after work. DD#2 came home shortly after and we did some chores, cooked dinner, watched TV then both went to bed after 10:00.

Saturday we went grocery shopping (used DD#2's car.) I did some yard work in the front and my car was clearly in the driveway. DD#2 mowed the lawn, did some laundry, then BFbob came over, visited for a while and when he left DD#2 went to visit some friends. I watched them both leave, DD#2 in her car and BFbob in his car.

DD#2 came home with a few friends. We cooked dinner and a good time was had by all. Friends left by 9:00 since DD#2 had work this morning. DD#2 went to bed and I stayed up for a couple hours watching TV.

I mention the above because I honestly cannot think of a time when DD#2 left the house without my knowledge.

This morning, Sunday, I had a breakfast date. I was running short on time, also knowing that I needed to stop for gas, and I could not find my keys. Anywhere. Frantic search, retracing my steps, checking pockets, etc. Nope. No keys.

I grabbed my extra set of car keys, called my friend to apologize/explain why I might be a few minutes late, ran to my car thinking I'd stop at the gas station for just a couple of gallons in order to get me there and I'd fill up later.

I start my car.

My gas tank is full.

Hmmmmm . . . I'm wondering why on Earth would DD#2 take my car when she has a perfectly good car of her own . . . Why would she fill the gas tank . . . and, especially, where are my keys?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2013, 07:03:43 AM »
I haven't talked to DD#2 yet, she's at work, but this really made me go "hmmmm"  ??? ??? ???

I parked my car in the driveway Friday after work. DD#2 came home shortly after and we did some chores, cooked dinner, watched TV then both went to bed after 10:00.

Saturday we went grocery shopping (used DD#2's car.) I did some yard work in the front and my car was clearly in the driveway. DD#2 mowed the lawn, did some laundry, then BFbob came over, visited for a while and when he left DD#2 went to visit some friends. I watched them both leave, DD#2 in her car and BFbob in his car.

DD#2 came home with a few friends. We cooked dinner and a good time was had by all. Friends left by 9:00 since DD#2 had work this morning. DD#2 went to bed and I stayed up for a couple hours watching TV.

I mention the above because I honestly cannot think of a time when DD#2 left the house without my knowledge.

This morning, Sunday, I had a breakfast date. I was running short on time, also knowing that I needed to stop for gas, and I could not find my keys. Anywhere. Frantic search, retracing my steps, checking pockets, etc. Nope. No keys.

I grabbed my extra set of car keys, called my friend to apologize/explain why I might be a few minutes late, ran to my car thinking I'd stop at the gas station for just a couple of gallons in order to get me there and I'd fill up later.

I start my car.

My gas tank is full.

Hmmmmm . . . I'm wondering why on Earth would DD#2 take my car when she has a perfectly good car of her own . . . Why would she fill the gas tank . . . and, especially, where are my keys?

Do not question the ways of the gas fairies.   ;)

I know that I have personally had a similar thing happen, only later to realise I was the one who actually filled up my tank.  I must have been in autopilot and just did it.  Sometimes we just forget the mundane things that we do everyday.  It happens to just about everyone from time to time. 

Option 2 is DD went out after you went to bed and filled up the tank then.  I wouldn't be too upset if she did, but I can't imagine why she would take your car unless you were blocking her in.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2013, 08:04:03 AM »
I once found a huge stock pot in my cabinet.  I had no idea where it came from, no one in my house knew where it came from.  One day it was just gone.  We joke that my cabinets must have portals to other kitchens or something since I've also had the same thing happen with a random plate, colander, butcher knife and assorted flatware...none of which matched anything I own and do not belong to any friends or family.

Perhaps your cabinets are a popular vacation spot amongst the cookware population.   ;D
Lol!  There's a shiny brochure somewhere, in which the cabinet interiors appear twice their actual size.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
I've lost my new casserole dish.   It's a nice Pyrex dish, the perfect 2-qt size that I've been wanting (my 1-qt dish is nice for me, but not for church dinners).  Most of all, I was thrilled to find the perfect 'slot' to store the new dish.......and now I can't find it.   My apartment isn't that big!  I know it's somewhere around the kitchen, but I've looked in every closet at least twice. 
*sigh*   I am *not* buying a new casserole!!  I have one!  It's just......well, buried somewhere. 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
Fascinating thread! The first thing I thought of was a monthly magazine I used to get. I'd been living at an apartment for about a year, and the magazine just started showing up. I think it had someone else's name on it, so presumably the former tenant of that apartment, but why would it just start showing up a YEAR after they'd moved? And it kept coming for the remaining year and a half I lived in that apartment.

If I recall correctly, I actually went online and changed the address so it would follow me to my next apartment, which it did, again without me paying anything! I honestly didn't really think that would work, but figured no harm in trying--I figured when I changed the delivery address AND NAME they would ask for some kind of verification that I couldn't provide, and that would be that. NOPE!

No one ever mentioned that they'd subscribed for me as a gift or anything, I think it was really meant for this other person. Finally after about two years it stopped.

I can only imagine it was a gift subscription for someone else, and Great-Aunt Matilda finally gave up after a couple years of the little snot never saying thanks or even mentioning the magazine to her... Thanks, Great-Aunt Matilda! :D
~Lynn2000

nayberry

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »
I've lost my new casserole dish.   It's a nice Pyrex dish, the perfect 2-qt size that I've been wanting (my 1-qt dish is nice for me, but not for church dinners).  Most of all, I was thrilled to find the perfect 'slot' to store the new dish.......and now I can't find it.   My apartment isn't that big!  I know it's somewhere around the kitchen, but I've looked in every closet at least twice. 
*sigh*   I am *not* buying a new casserole!!  I have one!  It's just......well, buried somewhere.

could it be in the oven?  thats where i find things

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »
Fascinating thread! The first thing I thought of was a monthly magazine I used to get. I'd been living at an apartment for about a year, and the magazine just started showing up. I think it had someone else's name on it, so presumably the former tenant of that apartment, but why would it just start showing up a YEAR after they'd moved? And it kept coming for the remaining year and a half I lived in that apartment.

If I recall correctly, I actually went online and changed the address so it would follow me to my next apartment, which it did, again without me paying anything! I honestly didn't really think that would work, but figured no harm in trying--I figured when I changed the delivery address AND NAME they would ask for some kind of verification that I couldn't provide, and that would be that. NOPE!

No one ever mentioned that they'd subscribed for me as a gift or anything, I think it was really meant for this other person. Finally after about two years it stopped.

I can only imagine it was a gift subscription for someone else, and Great-Aunt Matilda finally gave up after a couple years of the little snot never saying thanks or even mentioning the magazine to her... Thanks, Great-Aunt Matilda! :D

We've been getting mystery magazines and catalogs since we moved into our new house. In general, they've been at least tangentially relevant (housewares, cooking supplies, that kind of thing). The funny one though? Allure magazine, which is a paid subscription that I never paid for. A stack of women's beauty, fashion and hair tips.....addressed, very specifically, to my husband.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »

I start my car.

My gas tank is full.

Do not question the ways of the gas fairies.   ;)

I know that I have personally had a similar thing happen, only later to realise I was the one who actually filled up my tank.  I must have been in autopilot and just did it.  Sometimes we just forget the mundane things that we do everyday.  It happens to just about everyone from time to time. 

Option 2 is DD went out after you went to bed and filled up the tank then.  I wouldn't be too upset if she did, but I can't imagine why she would take your car unless you were blocking her in.

Bold ^ LOL! I was beginning to think that's exactly what happened! But where on earth are my keys? ;D

Turns out that DD#2 stops at the local gas station (2 blocks away) to get her morning breakfast drink every day before she goes to work. She remembered me saying that I had to get gas before my date and didn't want be to be all gas-smelly, so she took my car in the morning and filled it up for me (then dropped my keys in her purse, and went to work :D)

Darn Tootin! I'm never going to question the ways of the gas fairies again! ;D ;D ;D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »

We've been getting mystery magazines and catalogs since we moved into our new house. In general, they've been at least tangentially relevant (housewares, cooking supplies, that kind of thing). The funny one though? Allure magazine, which is a paid subscription that I never paid for. A stack of women's beauty, fashion and hair tips.....addressed, very specifically, to my husband.

I received a mystery magazine for over 15 years. It was addressed to me (although the last name was spelled a bit differently.)

After the first five years, and every 5 years thereafter, I received a post-card saying "Your free gift lifetime subscription will end if we don't hear from you."

Since I liked the magazine, I filled out the post card and sent it back. Either I missed the postcard after 15 years or they decided that was enough of a life-time.

The best I could figure is that I signed up for a raffle or some such thing and won.

HyenaInPetticoats

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »

Sitting down in a Literature lecture, when I feel something hard and spikey brush my leg. Apparently someone in the 9am lecture before felt the need to bring in an entire pinapple, and forgot it under the desk.  :o

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »
Darn Tootin! I'm never going to question the ways of the gas fairies again! ;D ;D ;D

Was that a pun?  :P
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »

I received a mystery magazine for over 15 years. It was addressed to me (although the last name was spelled a bit differently.)

After the first five years, and every 5 years thereafter, I received a post-card saying "Your free gift lifetime subscription will end if we don't hear from you."

Since I liked the magazine, I filled out the post card and sent it back. Either I missed the postcard after 15 years or they decided that was enough of a life-time.

The best I could figure is that I signed up for a raffle or some such thing and won.

You know, I could buy that if it were addressed to me, even incorrectly. But he doesn't even have any hair to speak of, so it's hardly likely that he would purchase something that would flag our address as "Send this person lots of fashion and beauty tips in the Michael Kors and plastic surgery price range."
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

m2kbug

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »
I keep finding clear marbles everywhere, including the car.  These are decorative marbles you put in a vase that can help hold up flowers, which I do have a wall vase that has those marbles in it.  When the kids were little, sometimes they'd get in there and play with the marbles, to which they would get in trouble.  Here it is, years later, the kids are teens, there is absolutely no reason to use the marbles.  I've gotten after them (cuz it's not me) to not touch the marbles and they are not toys, you should know better by now, you have no reason to go after the marbles, etc.  They are not touching the marbles.  Nobody is touching the marbles.  I've started collecting these random marbles in a new cup.  I'm curious to see if I can double up on these marbles.  Random $20 bills would be better. :)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
I keep finding clear marbles everywhere, including the car.  These are decorative marbles you put in a vase that can help hold up flowers, which I do have a wall vase that has those marbles in it.  When the kids were little, sometimes they'd get in there and play with the marbles, to which they would get in trouble.  Here it is, years later, the kids are teens, there is absolutely no reason to use the marbles.  I've gotten after them (cuz it's not me) to not touch the marbles and they are not toys, you should know better by now, you have no reason to go after the marbles, etc.  They are not touching the marbles.  Nobody is touching the marbles.  I've started collecting these random marbles in a new cup.  I'm curious to see if I can double up on these marbles.  Random $20 bills would be better. :)

If you've had the car a long time, you might be finding leftover bits from a spill or "stash" years ago. I remember one time my mom and I had a small disaster resulting in a rain of M&M's inside the car, and for years afterwards we would find random M&Ms that finally rolled loose from under the seat or had gotten caught in the folds of a map in the door pocket or something.

Or maybe the kids are now messing with you on purpose. ;)
~Lynn2000