General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Freebies & Reviews is there an etiquette.

(1/4) > >>

PurpleFrog:
I'm a member of a parenting site, though I rarely use it, a friend pointed me to an advert (placed by the site owners) looking for people to test 30 brand A nappies in size x & y. Tadpole is in size y so I applied on the off chance, there were questions with short paragraph answers (i.e why do you want to test brand A) which I assume were to rule out bots, though it may also have been to obtain a sample of writing style.

Long story short, we've got a big box of free nappies and some coupons. They have asked me to write a reveiw in the products section of the site, write a review on a specially set up thread, and fill in a survey. The second two are simpleas they are clearly related to product sent free, I do wonder if there is an etiquette to the first one. As it will be in the general section, should I mention somtjing like 'I was sent a pack of brand A to test'. Is it rude/misleading not to mention they were test freebies. Conversely, is it rude to mention it ss it might make the reader doubt a positive review, which could affect their trust of the brand.

I could leave this sectin, however they are offering a prize draw for shopping vouchers as an incentive to complete all three. I could ve overthinking this, it wouldn't be the first time

MariaE:
I can only respond based on my experience with books and receiving ARCs (Advanced Reader/Reviewer Copies) there.

Generally speaking it is considered best practice to mention somewhere that this was a freebie. Many reviewers have a standard pre-amble along the lines of:
"I received this book as an ARC. I receive no other compensation for the writing of this review..."

In other words "I'm paid to review this product, but not for the contents of the review".

MrTango:
There's never anything wrong with full disclosure on a product review.  I'd mention first thing that I got them for free in exchange for writing the review.

TootsNYC:
I agree--I think disclosure is almost required by etiquette.

betty:
Bloggers are required to disclose that they've been "compensated" (or given something for free) when they post a review of a product. While this is a little different, it would be both ethical and polite to mention that you tried the product for free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version