General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Freebies & Reviews is there an etiquette.

<< < (2/4) > >>

WillyNilly:
Like others, I think you should mention you got the diapers to review. But you are free to put in you aren't being paid for writing the review - it was just one package of free diapers.

And just so you know, if I read a review like that it wouldn't color my mind at all. All sorts of companies give out all sorts of products - thousands and thousands - for free all the time in the hopes of getting new customers to try them and then love them and spread the word.

Hmmmmm:
POD to others, mention you received them free and then write an unbiased review.

Yvaine:
A wording I've seen is "(Company) sent me a free (item) in exchange for an honest review." I like it because it discloses the freebie but also expresses the idea that you're not just giving it a positive review because it was a freebie.

RebeccainGA:

--- Quote from: Yvaine on April 25, 2013, 11:43:10 AM ---A wording I've seen is "(Company) sent me a free (item) in exchange for an honest review." I like it because it discloses the freebie but also expresses the idea that you're not just giving it a positive review because it was a freebie.

--- End quote ---
THIS. I'd tend to trust this review even more than a random one, because I knew that the person was a) really putting effort into reviewing b) wasn't complaining about something just because they thought an item was too expensive or they didn't like the shopping experience and c) was someone that was a real user of the product, not just a sock puppet.

Good instincts on the disclosure, too - I'm a member of several review sites like the one you've described, and the times I've gotten an item, I've been told that I MUST disclose that I got the item for free.

DottyG:
I disagree with the above.  When I see mention of getting something like that for free, my view of the review is diminished.  In fact, I usually skip those reviews entirely, because (in my mind) they're not as valid or trustworthy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version