Author Topic: youth hostels in Rome  (Read 495 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
youth hostels in Rome
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:00:36 AM »
DD's going to spend some time in Italy this summer and wants to visit Rome at the end of her studies.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to find a youth hostel that's safe, etc.? I don't know the likelihood that one of them will be in a shady area, or not well run, but she's feeling nervous, and I am too, to be honest. (Trying to be very matter-of-fact with her and also to not do things for her, but also feeling that since it's her first trip abroad, I can assist with a few things.)

Margo

Re: youth hostels in Rome
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »
I would suggest that she start with rough guide / lonely planet guides, then check the specific hostels one more than one site - www.hostels.com and TripAdvisor.  One she narrows it down to one or two, she can post specific questions in the relevant forums on trip advisor about things such as whether the area is generally a safe one, how far to he nearest  station etc.

If you read reviews look for patterns - if one person says that the place was dirty, it may be that they are overly picky, or had a bad day. If lots of people say the same then it's probably correct.

Rome has some women-only hostels, if she would feel safer with that than a mixed one. There are also quite a lot of hostels in Rome which are run by various religious orders or groups. They don't (generally) have any restrictions about who can stay, but are likely to be a lot quieter and probably attract an older clientele, which again, may feel safer.

It's worth thinking about what she wants to do, what her priorities are etc - for instance, larger hostels will have more facilities, may well organize or facilitate trips and other activities, but are often very noisy, and can be less secure due to the numbers of people going in and out.  Smaller hostels are likely to be much quieter, generally less likely to attract big groups of be the focus of boozy parties, but are less likely to have extra facilities. 

form what I recall, a lot of hostels (and cheap hotels) are in the Termini area, near the main railway station (and in walking distance of most of the big attractions) This area has a bit of a bad reputation but no more so than any city centre, but if your daughter is concerned than she might want to look for hostels which are on a fairly main road, rather than down back streets - they'll be noisy, but the main streets are well lit and public transport is good.

When I travelled alone and stayed in hostels, i would normally choose to stay either in a single room, or a medium sized dorm (4-6 people) for preference - sharing a 2-bed dorm with a stranger felt less safe to me than being in a larger room.  That said, the only trouble I ever had was with noise/disruption (we booked late, and ended up in a big (12 person) dorm in a big hostel in Barcelona - there were several big groups (stags and hens) who were out late and drinking heavily every night, and of course very loud and clumsy when they came to the dorm.)

Generally, however, I've had very good experiences - met lots of interesting people, and generally found people to be very welcoming at to a great extent to look out for one another (I got acute food poisoning when I was in Warsaw, and the kindness and help of the other guests and the staff was amazing)

I hope she has  fantastic time!

Coralreef

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
I use www.hostelworld.com.  They have a listing of pretty much every hostel in every town in every country.  Users will post their comments and there are ratings for cleanliness, location, safety, etc.  User comments should be read, just as a previous poster said. 

I love going to youth hostels, even if my youth is somewhat way behind me.

[/right

Aoife

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
This info is a few years old, but for what it's worth - the beehive is behind the train station, but it was great and the area wasn't bad if she isn't walking by herself at night. I'd recommend avoiding the starlight and gullivers if they're still about, they messed us around with bookings so we ended up desperately searching for somewhere to sleep for a couple of nights.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
Some people hate him, but Rick Steves lists hostels in all his guidebooks.  His website also has a pretty good forum section for people to exchange info.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
Many moons ago I stayed in a hostel/hotel in Frascati. It was run by nuns and most guests were on a pilgrimage. The price was slightly above a hostel, but I had my own room with my own bathroom. Breakfast was at communal tables with a buffet. It was a 20 minute walk through town to w the railroad station and a 30 minute (super cheap, think couple of $) train ride into Rome. There are probably similar places in Rome itself.

OK, a little check on googlemaps helped. This was the place where I stayed: http://www.villacampitelli.it/Home.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:02:07 PM by QueenfaninCA »

sarahj21

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
In 2011, I stayed in "When in Rome Accomodation" which is a hostel near the central train station. Short distance to haul my suitcase and an easy morning walk to the station to get the train all around town. They only have a few rooms and shared bathrooms, but the area is clean and quiet with a couple cafes and restaurants right nearby, and a laundromat. The shared bathrooms were really nice, and I don't mean "for a hostel," I mean actually nice. ;)

I booked through hostelbookers.com but hostelworld.com is also good. They both publish tons of reviews from customers so you get a real picture of what places are like.

If she wants to go to Pompeii by train, she has to go via Naples. Don't be alone in Naples after dark. The pizza is amazing and cheap so bring friends to enjoy it with and walk to/from the station with. That is my one piece of advice.

at5115

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 01:52:06 PM »
It's not a youth hostel, but I stayed at the Roma da Noi BB in Rome.  http://www.romadanoi.it/romadanoi_new/gh/eng_stanze.php#  It was 60 euro/night for a double, 40 euro per night for a single (w/ private bathroom, meal tickets for breakfast, etc...).  The proprietor was a very kind woman.  I would definitely stay there again.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice! I'm going to pass it on to my DD.

After all, there's no more reliable source than strangers on the Internet, no?
 ;)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice! I'm going to pass it on to my DD.

After all, there's no more reliable source than strangers on the Internet, no?
 ;)

On this specific site? Yes! LOL!

No information or guidance for when in Rome, just thinking about you and wishing your DD a wonderful trip/experience.

Along with internet good vibes from one mother (who just had a daughter go overseas) to you. Stay Mommy-Strong! ;D