General Etiquette > Life...in general

Update #35 Am I being a Special Snowflake or should seating be available

<< < (9/9)

rashea:

--- Quote from: camlan on April 25, 2013, 04:57:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: rashea on April 25, 2013, 04:15:27 PM ---They don't have to provide seating, but they do have to provide a parallel experience to a certain extent. You should ask if they have a designated wheelchair area and then either ask if they can put a chair in for her, or see if she can rent one. They should have an area that is roped off so people in wheelchairs don't end up getting squished.

--- End quote ---

But don't expect that area to have a great view of the stage. I've been in handicapped seating where the view was superb, and where the view was so-so, and where the view was obstructed by a pillar. They have to provide the space, but that's all that's required.

--- End quote ---

They are supposed to have equivalent seating for each type of ticket they sell. And it's supposed to have a comparable view. But, to skirt the politics, it's hard to enforce, and in most areas not worth the effort (the person with the disability has to sue, but can't collect even to cover their time and effort).

CreteGirl:
This may not work for everyone, depending on their disability.  I cannot stand for long periods of time because of a heel spur, but I love concerts.  At the GA venue I frequent, they allow you to sit on the floor as long as you are against the wall, and not in a walkway.  That works out quite well for me.

WillyNilly:

--- Quote from: rashea on April 30, 2013, 11:48:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: camlan on April 25, 2013, 04:57:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: rashea on April 25, 2013, 04:15:27 PM ---They don't have to provide seating, but they do have to provide a parallel experience to a certain extent. You should ask if they have a designated wheelchair area and then either ask if they can put a chair in for her, or see if she can rent one. They should have an area that is roped off so people in wheelchairs don't end up getting squished.

--- End quote ---

But don't expect that area to have a great view of the stage. I've been in handicapped seating where the view was superb, and where the view was so-so, and where the view was obstructed by a pillar. They have to provide the space, but that's all that's required.

--- End quote ---

They are supposed to have equivalent seating for each type of ticket they sell. And it's supposed to have a comparable view. But, to skirt the politics, it's hard to enforce, and in most areas not worth the effort (the person with the disability has to sue, but can't collect even to cover their time and effort).

--- End quote ---

Well the reality is at many GA shows, especially at smaller or mid-sized venues, the majority of the audience does not have a clear view of the stage, possible no view at all. (I'm thinking of NYC's Irving Plaza and Roseland Ballroom as examples of all GA and almost no view unless you are in the very front, or very tall.) So offering handicap seating with no clear view would be absolutely equivalent to the view offered for regular GA tickets - either way you are at the mercy of whomever stands in front of you.

Girly:

--- Quote from: Syfygeek on April 25, 2013, 09:38:46 PM ---I have 1 more number to call, the box office, and that's only open the day before the show, and the day of the show. Looking at other shows at the venue, the concert before the this, and the concert after both have seating, but we want to see Shinedown, not Dwight Yokum ;)..Oh well, maybe we can catch them somewhere else.

--- End quote ---

OT - I just went to the Shinedown concert in Knoxville this year. They were AWESOME. Three Days Grace was really good as well, even though their singer isn't with them. POD was just so/so, but I'm not much of a fan of them to begin with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version