Author Topic: House Guest eHell  (Read 13335 times)

QueenfaninCA

Re: House Guest eHell
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »
because they bring all their own bathroom stuff anyway, not just soap and shampoo, but towels and bathmats as well. (By the way, is this normal? When I've traveled and stayed with family or friends, towels are provided.

I have brought towels when staying with someone who only recently established their own household or when a bunch of people stayed overnight somewhere. In each case I just wasn't sure if they would have enough towels to go around. If they offered towels, I'd use those, but I'd always have some in my bag just in case.

menley

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 06:49:35 PM »
Not at all eHell-worthy, but the question on multiple showers made me think of it!

I never noticed before, because whenever my in-laws came to visit us, they always stayed in a hotel (and I guess I wasn't very observant when we visited them). We recently moved out of state, and because they now have to fly to visit us, we emphasized that they are welcome to stay in our guest room. While they were here, my FIL took at least (and usually more than...) four showers a day. I was baffled. We didn't do anything during the day that would require two showers, much less four! And the weather was cool. I asked my husband about it and he said he's done that as long as he can remember.

heartmug

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »
I too had the in-laws that came to "help" after the baby was born and expected me to wait on them.  Thankfully this was baby #3 so there was no room at the inn for them.  They stayed at a hotel but DH would drop them off at our home each morning before going to work.  I (sleep deprived) was greeted by "What is for breakfast?"  When I suggested they take 3 year old son to the park so I and baby could nap before dd got home for school, they didn't want to.  When I asked MIL to cook dinner, I was told that this was her vacation.  After 3 days I told DH that they could come in the evenings.  (They were here for 2 more days.)  He picked them up, picked up dinner (and paid for it) and then they could come over.  I got the stink eye from MIL but she didn't dare say a word.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 08:11:15 PM »
I discovered that white wine in a coffee cup works wonders to lessen the effects of PITA situations.

My inlaws are not really bad, but when they come, they just take over. I've long learned just to be prepared as best I can and let the event just take on a life of it's own.

We have found that red wine in a coffee cup is more inconspicuous. The bathroom, behind the lower towels, is a good stashing place. Just saying.........

I found out on a trip "home" that drinking made in law visits much nicer. I'm not a big drinker, I need a crowd over to help me drink wine, but really, a drink to start out a family reunion is wonderful!

I can also hide it in my bathroom cabinet when they come to visit, because they bring all their own bathroom stuff anyway, not just soap and shampoo, but towels and bathmats as well. (By the way, is this normal? When I've traveled and stayed with family or friends, towels are provided. As a matter of fact when my inlaws come, I set them out nicely in the "guest" room. They don't get touched.
I take my own towels, even hostel sheets but not bath mats. In the bizzaro world that is Kimberly  ::) [size=78%]- I once nearly died from an allergic reaction to bedsheets (Actually the residue of detergent left in the sheets) - so my family puts up with my quirks. I vote not normal for normal human beings but acceptable under extreme conditions. [/size]
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
I will sometimes take my own towels, depending on who I'm visiting.  My Dad?  No - I will often start a load of laundry with the sheets and towels before I leave.  If I've been invited for a visit and am more of a guest, I don't take my own towels, except maybe my microfibre one for my hair.  My brother's camp where laundry is a problem, I take my own everything.  If I'm crashing at friend's for a night, I'll usually take my own towels so I'm not causing them extra work.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 08:33:42 PM »
When Younger Bro and SIL were newlyweds they came to visit our folks for Xmas. SIL kept asking "Who gets this when you're gone, and who gets that? After all, I am the first daughter-in-law..." Not a good first impression to make to your in-laws.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Bottlecaps

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »
When Younger Bro and SIL were newlyweds they came to visit our folks for Xmas. SIL kept asking "Who gets this when you're gone, and who gets that? After all, I am the first daughter-in-law..." Not a good first impression to make to your in-laws.

Wow!!!!  :o

Edit: Would it be Ehell-approved to say, should anyone ever ask me this question, "Not you"? (I'm guessing no, lol.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:53:51 PM by Bottlecaps »
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

reflection5

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »

Wow!!!!  :o

Wow X2.

re: bolded, yeah, no kidding.  ::)

Bluenomi

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »
When having DD I learned the big difference between my parents and the in laws. Both stayed at our house while I was in hospital.

My parents check with both me and DH if that was ok, tided up after themselves, did some cleaning, some of our washing, bought some groceries, bought dinner and arranged a spare key so they could come and go without bothering DH. He had no dramas with them at all. They even went home a day earlier than planned because they heard the In laws were coming and expected to stay with us.

In Laws told us they were coming and even after DH said they could only stay while I was at hospital (niether of us really wanted them there on DD's first night at home) they booked a flight home the day after I got back and expected to stay. Made DH wait on them, got grumpy if he came to visit DD and I and left them unattended (even though he gave them is car keys and they knew how to get places) left the place a mess, didn't help out in anyway and got grumpy if I wouldn't let them hold newborn DD because I was trying to feed her.

Needless to say thankfully this time we won't have a spare room anymore so they will have to stay at a hotel!

snowdragon

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
I let some folks crash once when they were in town for a concert. They played scrabble on my pull out sofa - and left the "evidence" for me to find when I went to change the sheets. They wanted to come back next time that band was in town and were offended that I refused.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »
This is a little different because they didn't come but I'll nominate my mom.

She called on the Wednesday before Labor Day (always the first Monday in September) to ask if they could come and stay with us for the long weekend.  Starting on Friday.  She got really pissed off when I told her I had no place for her to stay and we already had plans.  She snarled at me when I asked for a little more notice the next time they wanted to come, "Well, we have to see when the flights look good!"  It's true that my dad worked for an airline and they flew standby.  But is it wrong to ask for a bit of advanced notice such as, "Hey, we're thinking of coming for Labor Day if the flights work out."? I don't think so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »
Auntie Entitled was in a graduate degree internship one summer and came to Southwest Desert Region to stay with us (double income, no kids, new house without a back yard or a fence at that point). 

She brought her oldest (adopted), my cousin - who was a  very cute four year old.

Highlights - she complained about the car we loaned her while we adjusted our work schedules to go in to work together (not too bad - but still annoying).  She took the GOOD towels from my linen closet to send to day car with Cousin for swimming lessons, that the day care lost.  She didn't take the plain white towels. 

She would go out for dinner several nights in a row while I had cooked dinner for four.  The first time we went out to eat, she came home to find us gone, "thawed" a T-bone steak on high because she didn't bother reading the instructions on the microwave, cooked it, left what they didn't eat sitting in the oven until dry, and loaded the tricksy dishwasher & started it (I had told her NOT to start it, as I had to adjust the load or it broke glassware).  I lost three glasses while running down the hall to the kitchen (she started it while we were home). 

She would make long distance calls (1980 or so - long distance was expensive and NOT included in the monthly flat rate) and never paid for them - but didn't let me talk to her big sisters (Mom & my aunts) or her parents (my grandparents).  She would come in to a house with the windows open (cool fresh air in the desert at night) and turn the A/C on then lower the setting to match the computer room where she was working during the day (very cool - she wore cardigan at work) - leaving the windows open (outside may have been a lot cooler than during the day but it was not cooler than the A/C setting).

Then she moved in with a "friend" from work who lived closer to downtown - saving her thirty minutes of driving morning & night and complained about us not wanting OUR car to be downtown at someone's house that we didn't know.......

+++++++++++

Blonde Weasel - killed the house plant in the guest room because he left the blinds down all the time, tried to quiet a crying baby in a car by swatting at her (his arm was too short) but wouldn't pull over to let her get a dry diaper or a meal (BF, no bottles), and generally behaved badly enough that VorGuy cut off his oldest and dearest friend-turned-parasite.  And realized that he'd been a parasite at least ten years earlier - he just hadn't recognized it back then.......his family didn't prepare him for that level of toxic. 

There had been times from when they graduated high school together that could have told VorGuy a lot, but between being a military brat with few long term friends and them having been on the track team together - it took a LOT to open his eyes and strengthen his spine.

+++++++++++++++++

SIL who sent nieces with Grandma & Grandpa for a week in our summer time share without mentioning that they had head lice - but refused to allow their long hair to get cut.  Not that happy with Grandma & Grandpa (aka Mom & Dad) but they felt rather trapped by having *promised* to take the girls to Disney.

Mom combed their hair out morning and night; their hair was kept tightly French braided; and their sheets & such were washed in HOT water, daily (washer & dryer in time share) - and twice after they left (before we did - due to travel time).

We did not invite them the next couple of summers........

When we did invite them again, they cancelled out at the last minute - after we'd arranged and paid for a larger unit (younger kids could share bedroom - older kids and MORE relatives meant we needed more space & more beds - bigger kitchen never hurts, either, with at least ten people expected instead of seven).  We ended up with six people - and it was spacious,  Did wish my parents had come, to see their great grandchild........but that was their loss, I suppose.

No one had bugs in their hair, either.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:28:26 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »
My youngest sister (26 at the time) came to visit me five years ago. She was a horrible house guest, as she is very self-absorbed, and would not help with anything. We took her to Margaritaville, which is a favorite restaurant for us and she wouldn't try anything, just ordered a children's chicken fingers meal.

She has absolutely no brain to mouth filter and her disregard for the simplest requests have ensured she will never stay with us again.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
Worst house guest? My sister. Called this year on Wednesday the 13th of February - Thursday being Valentine's Day, and Friday being Good Friday, and asked if we would be home to let her and niece in on Thursday early evening, as she was planning to stay with us for an unplanned trip to a local event.

No shiny spine for me, I let her come. Oh, my.

I set up the guest room with fresh sheets, the guest bathroom with clean towels, kitchen with healthy (diabetic approved) snacks. When she left, my Godiva stash was low, the bedroom was a wreck (how she managed to half push the mattress on the floor, I'll never know), the bathroom awash in wet towels, all over the floor, and the kitchen sink full of food-covered (half eaten meals) dishes.

Never again. My parents, sure. My friend Lil, who came up and stayed one night, helped cook dinner, brought flowers, bought dessert, chatted and was friendly? Anytime. My sister? When you are ice skating on the Styx, maybe.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
The one and only time the ILs stayed at our house, they gave us fleas. Never again.