Author Topic: House Guest eHell  (Read 11774 times)

mumma to KMC

Re: House Guest eHell
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
The one and only time the ILs stayed at our house, they gave us fleas. Never again.

So I'm not the only one! And here I was, trying to keep dog damage to my house to a minimum by being firm and making them keep the dogs outside and still managed to get fleas in the house.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
My youngest sister (26 at the time) came to visit me five years ago. She was a horrible house guest, as she is very self-absorbed, and would not help with anything. We took her to Margaritaville, which is a favorite restaurant for us and she wouldn't try anything, just ordered a children's chicken fingers meal.

She has absolutely no brain to mouth filter and her disregard for the simplest requests have ensured she will never stay with us again.

You took her to Margaritaville and she didn't like it?

Mind boggles, taste buds rise up in revolt, and I only got to go ONCE while DD, WSIL, WGS, and I were visiting Panama City Beach - swoons at the idea of going back....because it was fun.  And I am a picky eater, too, I'm just not THAT picky, compared to your baby sister.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
She wouldn't even try the appetizers we ordered to share either. Our favorite hot crab and mushroom dip with garlic toast was enjoyed by us, but she eats everything and chose to be picky that trip.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
When Younger Bro and SIL were newlyweds they came to visit our folks for Xmas. SIL kept asking "Who gets this when you're gone, and who gets that? After all, I am the first daughter-in-law..." Not a good first impression to make to your in-laws.

Wow!!!!  :o

Edit: Would it be Ehell-approved to say, should anyone ever ask me this question, "Not you"? (I'm guessing no, lol.)

That was pretty much my mom's reaction. (Not to SIL's face, though.) :)

SIL's gotten better over the years, or at lest better at keeping her mouth shut.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

HelenB

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »
I've got a "guest from eHell averted" story.  We have a MIL apartment in our house, and my husband runs his business from our home.

My brother in law recently called my husband (his brother).  My BIL's wife's mother lives in our area, and she was selling her house and buying another one. Now, when my BIL and SIL visit our city, they never know until they get here if they'll be able to stay with her mother. Some times she's all sweetness and light, and some times she's a screaming ball of irrationality.

So, she had sold her house, but wasn't able to take possession of the new one right away, and needed a place to stay.  In two days.  And she'd be staying for... six weeks. 

Yup, she knew she wasn't getting into the new house for six weeks, sold the old one, and had no plan at all for where she'd stay.

With her Great Dane.

But, BiL said, if we let her stay in our apartment,  the Dane wouldn't be a problem because, if my husband had a client over she could take the dog out for a walk, because she was unemployed.

So, we'd have an unstable person and her huge dog living in our tiny apartment, and she'd be there All...The...Time. For six weeks.

Fortunately, my husband's MIL is going to coming to visit and will need the MIL apartment during the same time frame, so we declined.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »
She wouldn't even try the appetizers we ordered to share either. Our favorite hot crab and mushroom dip with garlic toast was enjoyed by us, but she eats everything and chose to be picky that trip.

That sounds less like pickiness and more that she was in a sulk about something.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

SoCalVal

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
They wanted to come back next time that band was in town and were offended that I refused.

DH has a "friend" who was so offended that DH had to turn him down for staying at our (then just DH's) house that he flaked on plans he and his family had made to visit.

We just bought our house last year; escrow closed then DH gave 30-days' notice to vacate his apartment.  DH also had an annual commitment that took place the last weekend he would have his apartment (which still had stuff in it and still needed to be cleaned).  Prior to escrow closing, DH's friend announced he and his family (six individuals total) would be coming up for the event.  We had no idea when escrow would close so, as far as Friend knew, DH would still be living in his apartment when they showed up.  About a week before the event (when DH had been living in our house only two weeks at this point), DH said Friend asked if he and his family could spend the night at our house (I wasn't living there yet but, still, it was OUR house so DH wanted to make sure I was okay with it).  DH said he needed to check with me first but didn't think it would be a problem.  I reminded DH that he needed to be out of his apartment by the end of the weekend so, no, having a big family (or anyone, for that matter) stay over was not going to fit with our schedule that weekend.  DH wasn't happy (because he hates saying no to anyone for anything) but agreed about the schedule conflict so let Friend know that it wasn't going to work out and was honest with him about the reason.

Friend didn't say anything but, apparently, was not okay with DH not letting him treat our house as his own personal hotel because, when day of event came (and event came and went), Friend and family were a no-show, no-call.  I wasn't surprised because something similar had happened a year or two earlier.  Friend and family were on a vacation road trip so Friend announced he would be in our area and wanted to visit DH; DH and I went grocery shopping in anticipation of them coming but didn't know the time they'd be arriving.  DH finally called Friend's wife since he couldn't reach Friend and asked her, and DH said she seemed a bit put off by the question and said *she* didn't know.  Anyway, we learned the afternoon of the day they were supposed to come by that they decided to overnight at their friend's house about 45min-1hr away from DH's apartment and wouldn't be coming by after all.  I just looked at DH and said (to which DH agreed), "Next time they say they're coming by for a visit, we don't do ANY shopping until we know they are on their way" (they live about 3-4 hours away from us).

So, this previous rudeness still in the air, Friend flakes again.  DH and I get back to our house, and DH, a little concerned (and a little ticked), calls Friend to find out if something happened to them.  Friend claims he had a headache and suggested to DH that DH go back to doing his apartment cleaning.  >:(

I was pissed.  I couldn't believe how rude and entitled Friend was that when DH had a legitimate reason to say, "No, you can't stay over because it will cost us $$ per each extra day in that apartment if not vacated by the agreed-upon date," Friend held it against him (never mind that Friend used to treat DH as his own personal bank years ago and, when DH had to sell his father's business, Friend ASKED DH TO GIVE HIM THE MONEY!!!  :o).

Anyway, I still couldn't believe, right after that conversation with Friend, DH asked if we could invite him and his family to stay at our house the month after our wedding.   >:(  :o .  I told DH no and that the answer to that kind of behavior is not to reward it (DH couldn't understand why I was so against this idea until I put it in those exact words "You don't reward bad behavior").

I still don't want them staying at our house as I'm afraid Friend and family would be unkind to our house (Friend destroyed his wife's grandmother's house by letting it fall to ruin instead of maintaining it; their own house was the same way).  I'm also afraid Friend might take something from us (Friend swindled one of DH's best friends out of a few hundred dollars and had just met the guy; Friend met DH's best friend then, a few days later, calls him and asks if he could "borrow" some money -- BF, thinking Friend must be a good guy because he's a devout Catholic like DH and one of DH's friends, loans him the money...then Friend dodges all of BF's phone calls.  The money, 20 years later, still isn't paid back).

The only reason DH maintains contact is because he is godparent to ALL of Friend's children and takes that connection seriously.  I like Friend's wife, and the children are nice people.  Friend is actually a friendly guy.  HOWEVER, I don't want any of them staying at our house, especially after I've seen how they didn't take care of their own (really, the thought causes me a lot of anxiety and, actually, DH doesn't really want them staying at our house either as he agrees that we'd likely be treated as a hotel).

MissRose

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
I will not invite my mother over to my place again.  When I was living 2 hours from my home town, she and my dad would visit me for the weekend, and I would take them places.  My dad is a good house guest no matter if its 2 minutes or a few days, and doesn't complain about anything.  My mother: did some of my house cleaning / tidy up as it was not up to her perfectionist standards, complained about the traffic buzzing at night by as I lived close to a major highway so I told her close your eyes & go to sleep, and also complained about my driving at times.    I was grateful when I had wisdom teeth extraction that my father stayed the weekend as he never once annoyed me and made sure I had what I needed as I was in no shape to go any place after the surgery on a Friday morning.

I now live 10 minutes away from my parents, my mother has never been invited in but my father has been by because he helped move in and sometimes has brought stuff by for me that requires his truck & an extra pair of hands to carry it up the steps to my flat.

andi

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »
I discovered that white wine in a coffee cup works wonders to lessen the effects of PITA situations.

My inlaws are not really bad, but when they come, they just take over. I've long learned just to be prepared as best I can and let the event just take on a life of it's own.

We have found that red wine in a coffee cup is more inconspicuous. The bathroom, behind the lower towels, is a good stashing place. Just saying.........

My parents are like this - especially my dad. When I lived alone they would call and say "we are coming next week for 2 weeks" never waiting to see if I had plans. Dad would rearrange all my furniture, they bought no groceries and I'd pay my own way if we went out.  They tried it a few times since I got married, but hubby helps my spine

weeblewobble

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »

I was pissed.  I couldn't believe how rude and entitled Friend was that when DH had a legitimate reason to say, "No, you can't stay over because it will cost us $$ per each extra day in that apartment if not vacated by the agreed-upon date," Friend held it against him (never mind that Friend used to treat DH as his own personal bank years ago and, when DH had to sell his father's business, Friend ASKED DH TO GIVE HIM THE MONEY!!!  :o).

Wait, I'm going to need some elaboration, please.  Was this phrased as a request for a loan or did he just expect to be gifted with the profit from the sale? As in your DH said, "I'm selling my father's business, my family legacy."  and his friend said, "I think you should hand that cash over to me as a reward for all of my years of devoted friendship."

???

NyaChan

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »
I don't remember if I related the full story of this particular Thanksgiving, but it was really really bad.  During/after my Father's family came to stay for a large family celebration of the holiday, they're antics were such that:
-my parent's marriage had a serious crisis (walked in on both of them sitting in tears)
-my mother had a nervous breakdown and my sister had to put her to bed
-caused a major rift between me and my parents that even for us was pretty bad due to the conditions in the house
-My sister and I ended up sick for a week afterwards from stress, sleep deprivation, and exposure to people who should not have attended due to illness

My Mother swore she'd never go through it again and my father for once raised no objection - I think it really opened his eyes to how bad his family always treated Mom and us kids and for once in an obvious way, him.

katycoo

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 01:34:26 AM »
3. I ran the meal plan by them each day, especially for dinner, and asked if they were okay with what I planned. I got the response "Yes, we eat anything." I guess they don't actually eat anything,  because each dinner I made was "supplemented" by something they brought and they ate more of that than what I made. The night I did from-scratch pizza, my sil (who came with them) ended up eating yogurt, because pizza upsets her stomach. She smiled and nodded enthusiastically when I suggested homemade pizza for dinner. Thanks, kid.

Did you call SIL on this?  ASk her why, if pizza upset her stomach, she had agreed with your suggestion?

mumma to KMC

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »
3. I ran the meal plan by them each day, especially for dinner, and asked if they were okay with what I planned. I got the response "Yes, we eat anything." I guess they don't actually eat anything,  because each dinner I made was "supplemented" by something they brought and they ate more of that than what I made. The night I did from-scratch pizza, my sil (who came with them) ended up eating yogurt, because pizza upsets her stomach. She smiled and nodded enthusiastically when I suggested homemade pizza for dinner. Thanks, kid.

Did you call SIL on this?  ASk her why, if pizza upset her stomach, she had agreed with your suggestion?

I thought about it, when I found out about it, but I was in a different room, nursing, so I couldn't do it right then I decided it wasn't worth it when I had the chance later.

dawnfire

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »

hot crab and mushronm dip ohhhh that sounds lovely  :D

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »
Before I go back to giggling over the posts, I had to share some of my nightmare ones.
*  ExLDH and I moved to Baltimore from Pittsburgh 2 months after we married.  His parents decided to come for 3 days, unfortunately by the time MIL decided to come down at FIL's insistence, it was too late for me to take the time off work.  She told the hubby 'good, I can take care of the house better'.  She re arranged my kitchen, she went through my drawers and moved my clothes around including removing some to a pile on the closet floor so her son could have more room, and removing some pictures I had displayed.  We were taking them to a fancy restaurant one night, but not til 7 due to me working.  She suggested they go early and maybe they could bring me something back :o.  Oh, and she finally gave us our wedding gift..a pillow.  Yes, one bed pillow. 
*BF and her DH come down to spend a long weekend with us in Baltimore.  I was so excited!  I was so happy when they left!  They left wet towels everywhere (she used 2 towels every shower!), her husband whined like a 2 year old about food (he only liked plain meat and potatoes, nothing fancy like, oh say Italian ::) ) and the kicker?  We gave them our bed because the bed in the guest room was the box spring and mattress on the floor until we got a new frame.  We had a water bed that we gladly gave them..and we discovered the slow leak when we went to bed the night they left.  She admitted later they were playing scrabble and her ring had punctured the mattress !  So they knew about it, said nothing and we discovered it 8 hours later, thus meaning instead of going to bed we had to empty it out !  Between being squicked out about what they did in my bed, they wrecked and, knew about it and didn't say anything!