Author Topic: do waiters chase you if you don't tip in america?  (Read 12357 times)

reflection5

Re: do waiters chase you if you don't tip in america?
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
I may end up in e hell for this, but I have been given the wrong bill in a restaurant and I have paid for it. But that was because the food was terrible and the servers were bothering us every five minutes. DH and I were on our second date and we could barely complete a conversation sentence when someone would come up and ask us if our meal was all right.

Well, you knowingly skipped out on part of your bill so ehell worthy and also criminal. Valid options would have included complaining to management, reflecting service issues in the tip, posting reviews, never returning. Theft - not so much.

I was a little confused about this - Katana_Geldar, did you mean you were given someone else's bill which was less than what your bill would have been?

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
well, i live in the UK so tipping isn't something you do unless you received phenomenal service, over here it's become a running joke that if you don't tip waiters in america they will do anything short of kidnapping you to get you to pay extra.  ;D what is with the obsession with tipping? surely you just pay the price of the food on the menu, i mean, i know waiters are paid badly but don't they receive minimum wage?  :o and do waiters really hunt you down if you don't pay up? i'm really curious if it's true as it's not something we do here  :)

Really?

Uh, no.

Uh, yes. Keep reading the thread.

While there are some anecdotes, her question asked it as if wondering were it a common or standard thing - it is not. I think even though who have directly experienced it would likely agree that being "tailed" by a waiter is uncommon. I know several people that have worked that job and never ever followed someone down for non-tipping.

It can happen, sure, but it's not a common practice would be the most correct answer.

Thanks! Exactly.
Words mean things.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »
I may end up in e hell for this, but I have been given the wrong bill in a restaurant and I have paid for it. But that was because the food was terrible and the servers were bothering us every five minutes. DH and I were on our second date and we could barely complete a conversation sentence when someone would come up and ask us if our meal was all right.

Well, you knowingly skipped out on part of your bill so ehell worthy and also criminal. Valid options would have included complaining to management, reflecting service issues in the tip, posting reviews, never returning. Theft - not so much.

I was a little confused about this - Katana_Geldar, did you mean you were given someone else's bill which was less than what your bill would have been?

If that had happened to me, I might have paid the lesser bill but added a tip that would cover what my bill should have been, without tip.  Especially if I just wanted to get out of there.  But I wouldn't have left less money than I minimally owed.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LeveeWoman

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
If they were paid minimum wage, the quality of servers would go down.

I have heard this argument several times and it's always puzzled me, because it simply isn't my experience. I've been to many restaurants in tipping and non-tipping countries both, and have seen no real difference in the level of service I receive in the different countries. But tipping affect the cynical side of me. If I receive good service in a non-tipping country I think, "Wow, excellent service. Cool!" If I receive good service in a tipping country I think, "Hmmm... Angling for a better tip there, aren't you?"

It's not the norm to tip where I live, and that's definitely what I prefer (restaurants aside, I felt terribly condesending tipping the bell boy, which I know is completely irrational), but "when in Rome...", so I never stifle people of a tip when abroad - and I err on the side of caution which has resulted in a UK waiter coming up to ask me if I really meant to tip him that much ;)

What's wrong with working hard to make more money?

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
I've never heard of the concept of the waiters having to pay the restaurant for a meal that the guests have essentially stolen (like when guests leave before paying, not paying for what they owe, etc).  In every other industry I've heard of, when people steal stuff it's considered shoplifting or theft and the employee is not liable for the costs and they definitely don't have their wages garnished.

Why is it okay for employers to garnish wages from waiters for people stealing food?  I don't want to get into legal territory, but it just doesn't seem like that should be legal.

NyaChan

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
I think part of the reason is that the restaurant considers it the waiter's job to present the bill and collect payment - i.e. pay close enough attention that someone can't leave without paying their bill.  Think of it as working as a cashier:  If they just handed over the food and said "That'll be $5" but never made sure to get the money, they'd be in trouble right? 

I believe it is also meant to deter people pocketing the money and claiming nonpayment or from giving away free food to their friends.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
I've never heard of the concept of the waiters having to pay the restaurant for a meal that the guests have essentially stolen (like when guests leave before paying, not paying for what they owe, etc).  In every other industry I've heard of, when people steal stuff it's considered shoplifting or theft and the employee is not liable for the costs and they definitely don't have their wages garnished.

Why is it okay for employers to garnish wages from waiters for people stealing food?  I don't want to get into legal territory, but it just doesn't seem like that should be legal.

Just because something is illegal doesn't mean that it never happens.  I remember about 30 years ago in a restaurant a frazzled waitress was chasing a customer who'd skipped out on the bill - yelling something like "you're stealing $35 from me".  Dh and a few sympathetic customers joined in the chase but no one ever caught up with him.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
If they were paid minimum wage, the quality of servers would go down.

I have heard this argument several times and it's always puzzled me, because it simply isn't my experience. I've been to many restaurants in tipping and non-tipping countries both, and have seen no real difference in the level of service I receive in the different countries. But tipping affect the cynical side of me. If I receive good service in a non-tipping country I think, "Wow, excellent service. Cool!" If I receive good service in a tipping country I think, "Hmmm... Angling for a better tip there, aren't you?"

It's not the norm to tip where I live, and that's definitely what I prefer (restaurants aside, I felt terribly condesending tipping the bell boy, which I know is completely irrational), but "when in Rome...", so I never stifle people of a tip when abroad - and I err on the side of caution which has resulted in a UK waiter coming up to ask me if I really meant to tip him that much ;)

What's wrong with working hard to make more money?

Yeah, I wondered that too.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »
One time a friend and I were having dinner out at a nice restaurant. At the table next to us was what I'll call the Obnoxious Family. Mom, Dad, two small kids. The kids were running around and yelling. Throwing food on the floor, spilling on the tablecloth, rubbing crumbs into their hair. The waitress had to bring refills for their drinks twice, because the kids kept spilling them.

The parents were worse. They complained about every single item that was brought to their table. The rolls weren't warm enough. Not that the rolls were cold, mind you. Just that they weren't warm *enough*. There was too much ice in their sodas. They asked for extra croutons on the salad and not tomatoes, but didn't get enough croutons. Everything they ordered had some change from the menu, either an addition or subtraction or substitution. They claimed that none of their special requests was correct. (Which I found odd, as this restaurant was very good at special requests and a lot of people with allergies eat there because they are so good with the special requests.)

How did we know all this? Because they kept broadcasting their displeasure in loud tones that echoed throughout the dining room.

Their waitress was almost in tears at one point--I thought the dad was going to throw a plate of food at her. She was running back and forth, really trying to get things right for them. She brought the manager to them at one point and the manager tried to both assure them that the restaurant was doing its best to cater to them, and also to get them to rein in the kids a bit, which they finally did. The manager also comped their desserts because they complained so much.

When they finally left, they announced loudly to the waitress that they were not leaving a tip, because her service had been so poor. All of us at the surrounding tables were not pleased.

When the waitress came back to the table to start to clean up the mess--with the overturned glasses of soda, the crumbs on the floor and the chairs--she was a little surprised to find out that she did have a tip. Everyone at the surrounding tables had been sliding a dollar or two under one of the plates--I think she ended up with about $25. Not really enough to compensate for dealing with that family, though.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2013, 04:15:27 PM »
I used to frequent a local Italian place that was right next to my office.  They did a lot of carryout business and kept a pretty ornamental box (with a lid) by the register to collect tips for the hostess/cashiers marked "carryout service tips."  I usually tipped about 20 percent. 

One afternoon, I went in to grab my carryout lunch order.  Unfortunately, the hostess had her back turned and didn't see me drop my tip into the box.  The odd thing was that I was having such a good day, I decided to "pass it on" and tip generously.  As I counted out my cash to pay the bill, I dropped what amounted to a 100 percent tip in the box.  It was the only cash in there, so I guess I was the first tip of the day. When my transaction was complete, I called a cheery thank you to the hostess and walked to the door. I guess she didn't check the box, because she hollered, "You know, it's NICE to tip the people who handle your FOOD.  Especially if you come in here a lot.  Cheapskate."

I literally froze in my tracks.  I turned around, opened the box to show her the bills I'd just dropped in and said, "I'm going to need to speak to your manager."  The woman's face went white, but she went to get the manager, who apologized profusely.  I didn't take the tip back. I refused an offer for a gift card. But I did inform the manager that due to the hostess's attitude and the fact that she would be handling my food, I was not comfortable coming back to the restaurant.  So they'd just lost a regular customer who came in at least once a week.  I've never been back.

Wait, this was a carryout restaurant?  I didn't think you needed to tip at a place where you don't get table service?  I mean, they're not bringing things to you at the table, getting you napkins and drinks, etc., they're just handing you your order, right?

reflection5

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
"You know, it's NICE to tip the people who handle your FOOD.  Especially if you come in here a lot.  Cheapskate."

:o  >:(

Outrageous.  I really think she should have been fired.

I did a search and saw that this board really lights up bigtime whenever the subject of tipping is brought up (not sure why).  But in another thread the issue of whether or not to tip on carryout food was discussed,  There are different opinions.

But to insult a regular customer (or any customer) and namecall like that is so over the top and wrong. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:30:11 PM by reflection5 »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
I always tip with carry out.

And I also tip on the full amount on bills - ie, including the tax.

Income taxes are automatically taken out of their checks

On what amount? (That's a curiosity question - not a snarky one. I'm really asking what numbers they use to determine it.)

CharlieBraun

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
I used to frequent a local Italian place that was right next to my office.  They did a lot of carryout business and kept a pretty ornamental box (with a lid) by the register to collect tips for the hostess/cashiers marked "carryout service tips."  I usually tipped about 20 percent. 
(snip tree)
 So they'd just lost a regular customer who came in at least once a week.  I've never been back.

Wait, this was a carryout restaurant?  I didn't think you needed to tip at a place where you don't get table service?  I mean, they're not bringing things to you at the table, getting you napkins and drinks, etc., they're just handing you your order, right?

I bolded the part of the related post - the restaurant did a lot of carryout, but seems not to have been solely carryout.

I seem to recall that we had an entire thread about tipping on carryout, and the consensus was 10%.  So yes, it is customary to tip for carryout, although "needing" to tip is kind of the discussion of so many of these threads.  Personally speaking, I would never not tip; the only variant is the percentage.
"We ate the pies."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »
I very rarely get carry out or delivery.  If I get delivery and there is no separate delivery fee, I'll tip ~15% to the driver.  If there is a delivery fee, I generally tip a little less, more like 10%.  But for carry out, they are saving on dishes and table clean up, saving on bussing and on plating.  So I will tip but generally just round up to the nearest dollar or add another dollar if that would be less than 50 cents.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »

We only tip here for exceptional service as servers get a liveable minimum wage. There's no way I was giving them extra money. The food was actually that disgusting that I wanted to send it back to the kitchen and not pay for it at all. They were lucky to get what they got.

DH actually said at the time that he usually would have said something. But our experience was so bad...