Author Topic: do waiters chase you if you don't tip in america?  (Read 17201 times)

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Re: do waiters chase you if you don't tip in america?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
Some waiters DO get minimum wage - it totally depends on the state you are in - but since no one is going to look up the minimum law wage requirements for each state we kind of just assume all waiters get less than minimum wage (it drives me a bit batty but there you go).  I have never personally heard of a waiter running after someone for tips, although occasionally you do read the story about it on the internet.

reflection5

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »
Actually, the idea of a waiter chasing someone for a better tip is rather absurd.  "Oh.  So you think chasing me and telling and demanding more money is going to result in me giving you more money?"  Umm, no.  I can't imagine giving in to any service provider (hair stylist, waiter, etc.) who does that.  It's kind of.........crazy.   :o

ncgal

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »
I have not had anyone chase me down for a tip, but I did return to the restaurant once because of a tip mishap.  I was paying in cash, and somehow my mind counted a five as a ten.  It hit me a day or two later was I was driving to work.  It was enough to pay the bill, but not enough to include a tip.

I went back to the restaurant and left the money for a tip, plus a little extra.  The restaurant says it happens a lot (no tip or just not enough to cover the tab), but people very very rarely come back in to cover the cost.  I was an oddity and got thanked a lot that afternoon.  The waiter was not there, but I was able to identify him for management. 

GSNW

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »
I've never had a waiter chase me down for a tip, but that's because DH and I are good tippers.  I've never heard of this happening or seen it happen, either.  I did have a bartender in the UK refuse to let us tip him after ordering a second round of drinks at the bar (we tipped him after the first round).  Another diner in Italy laughed at us when we leaned over to ask if tipping was appropriate ("no no no, keep your money").  A tip was graciously received in the Czech Republic, but we were at a fancier place - I got the feeling that it was the norm there.  Or maybe our waiter just didn't want to embarrass us by giving our money back.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
Ah. A good idea to always put the tip on the credit card (if used), to avoid theft, then.

I used to wait tables. We actually preferred cash. For one thing, having the tip on the card means you wait to get your tip. Some places are faster than others. Most people who wait tables could their money *right now.* But, a tip on a card is better than no tip at all if that's the only option.

If I don't trust that a tip goes to the person who waited on me, I will give it to them directly. And if I found out that another patron/employee was stealing the tips, I'd be livid!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
No, they don't get minimum wage. They get somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 an hour if they are tipped. That's why the obsession - it's more like commission sales than cashier, really.

Most won't chase you, but I have had one scream across the room at me - he hadn't known that I had put a cash tip on the table, and just saw the 0.00 tip on the credit card slip, and got angry.

In many states they DO get at least minimum wage plus tips.

reflection5

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »
If the waiters want more money maybe they should chase the owner of the restaurant.  Customers don't establish wages.

Also, I'd think chasing a customer might get confrontational and even a dangerous "call the police" scenario.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
I briefly kept books for a small restaurant... base pay was $3 per hour

If tips are on credit cards the waitstaff receives them at the end of the evening and it goes towards making sure that the restaurant is paying at least minimum wage and income tax wages come into play for withholding

if the employee is tipped in cash, it is not counted in their pay and thus is not included in wages for income tax purposes

(because if the employee is not making at least minimum wage - the restaurant has to pay the difference until it meets minimum wage)

While we never had to make up the difference between our base hourly wage and minimum wage, I know for a fact that many of the waitstaff are not having to pay the same rate of income tax as the rest of us!

And it is a bookkeeping nightmare some nights...

gollymolly2

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
As others have said, wages depend on the state. The lowest anyone can get is $2.13, which is the federal minimum for tipped employees. In other states and cities, the minimum is higher. I waited tables at the same chain restaurant in two different states; in one I got $2.13/hour, in the other I got about $8/hour.

In any event, the minimum wage always comes up in tipping threads and I really think it's a red herring. We tip because it's customary in the US, and there's basically a social contract. If you go out to eat,you leave a tip. That tip can vary based on the level of service and other factors, but it's a violation of the social contract to go out to eat and not leave a tip simply because you think it's a bad system. Many of the etiquette rules we discuss here are customary and I'm always curious why we struggle so much with that idea when it comes to tips.

A solution to the tipping "problem" is that we could have all restaurants simply raise their prices by 15-25%. In most restaurants, it's a safe bet that the waitstaff wouldn't end up bringing home 100% of that increase. The ability of a customer to address poor service and reward great service Wuld be taken away. So basically, the only people who would "win" are restaurant owners.

The current system gives customers some control and gives waiters the opportunity to make a good living. Minimum wage is irrelevant.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »
I don't have a problem with the concept of tipping.  I do have a problem with the steady increase in the percentage we are 'supposed' to leave and with the proliferation of people who expect to be tipped.

I think servers here make slightly less than regular minimum wage.  Minimum wage is ~$10, servers minimum is ~$8.  It used to be that 10% was considered a good tip.  Then it went up to 15% and now, 'they', whoever 'they' are, say it should be more like 20%.  Not going to happen, from my wallet, unless the service is stellar.  Our tax here is 13% so I tip the tax, rounded up close to a dollar.  So if the tax came out to $2.43, I'd leave at least $3 and a little more if I had quarters.  If the service was lacking, I'd round down to $2.  And if it was worse than that, I'd speak to the manager.

And to answer the OP's question, I've never seen the server run out after a patron but I have been there when the server confronted the person paying the bill.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »
Outdoor Girl, I think the main issue with the rising tip percentages is that the minimum wage for service workers has stayed the same for 20 years, while costs and taxes have obviously increased. (FTR, Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington are the states where servers are paid minimum wage with no regard for tips.)

I have seen a waiter run out after a patron as I was walking into a restaurant, though that was because she thought the family hadn't paid their bill. The dad claimed (quite aggressively, IMO) that he left cash on the table, but I shamelessly eavesdropped once I was in the restaurant and apparently they hadn't even left enough to cover the check, let alone a tip.

“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

reflection5

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
but I have been there when the server confronted the person paying the bill.

But what right does a server have to confront the person paying the bill?  ???   They aren't stealing.  The only person the server should be "confronting" is the owner of the restaurant (I'm not understanding why the owner/management is left blameless).

Can anyone address this?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
I don't have a problem with the concept of tipping.  I do have a problem with the steady increase in the percentage we are 'supposed' to leave and with the proliferation of people who expect to be tipped.

I think servers here make slightly less than regular minimum wage.  Minimum wage is ~$10, servers minimum is ~$8.  It used to be that 10% was considered a good tip.  Then it went up to 15% and now, 'they', whoever 'they' are, say it should be more like 20%.  Not going to happen, from my wallet, unless the service is stellar.  Our tax here is 13% so I tip the tax, rounded up close to a dollar.  So if the tax came out to $2.43, I'd leave at least $3 and a little more if I had quarters.  If the service was lacking, I'd round down to $2.  And if it was worse than that, I'd speak to the manager.

And to answer the OP's question, I've never seen the server run out after a patron but I have been there when the server confronted the person paying the bill.

While I agree tips have been steadily rising, I can say in my lifetime (and I'm over 35 years old) 10% was never a norm in NYC. As a very small child I remember my dad explaining to me about tips and the rule back then was "double the tax" which has hovered at about 8-9% in NY my whole life, which put the norm at 16-18%. By the time I was in junior high in the late 80's early 90's and kids were going to diners by ourselves, everyone seemed to just know the "double the tax" rule and even when I went to HS in a different county but same city everyone knew doubling the tax was the norm.

And to be honest just about everyone I know still doubles the tax and then rounds up or down depending on the service, which keeps the normal tip rate between 15-20%. I think as much as anything tips are higher now because the bills are higher, so the same rate is of a higher total. 18% of a $10 check ($1.80) vs a $20 check ($3.60) makes it feel like tips went up, when really they didn't.

Dorrie78

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 02:11:43 PM »
As others have said, wages depend on the state. The lowest anyone can get is $2.13, which is the federal minimum for tipped employees. In other states and cities, the minimum is higher. I waited tables at the same chain restaurant in two different states; in one I got $2.13/hour, in the other I got about $8/hour.

In any event, the minimum wage always comes up in tipping threads and I really think it's a red herring. We tip because it's customary in the US, and there's basically a social contract. If you go out to eat,you leave a tip. That tip can vary based on the level of service and other factors, but it's a violation of the social contract to go out to eat and not leave a tip simply because you think it's a bad system. Many of the etiquette rules we discuss here are customary and I'm always curious why we struggle so much with that idea when it comes to tips.

A solution to the tipping "problem" is that we could have all restaurants simply raise their prices by 15-25%. In most restaurants, it's a safe bet that the waitstaff wouldn't end up bringing home 100% of that increase. The ability of a customer to address poor service and reward great service Wuld be taken away. So basically, the only people who would "win" are restaurant owners.

The current system gives customers some control and gives waiters the opportunity to make a good living. Minimum wage is irrelevant.
And also, a decent waiter at a restaurant with a normal amount of customers will be making far more than minimum wage with the tips. When I used to wait tables, I was probably earning more than $15 an hour including tips (this was at a coffee shop type place). I would have been firmly opposed to taking away the tips and raising my salary to minimum wage. That would have been a huge pay cut!

Margo

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »
My dad had a waiter 'chase' him - he and some colleagues went to the US on a business trip - they had a terrible journey with a very rough flight, lots of turbulence, the flight being delayed, then diverted, then delayed again, so when they arrived and went to get food they had all been awake for almost 24 hours. My dad said by the time they had eaten they were all pretty much sleepwalking and didn't remember to tip - the waiter rushed after them asking if anything was wrong, did they have a complaint.. He said they were very polite and appeared genuinely concerned. 

My dad & his colleagues apologised, explained about the jet lag, and gave them a decent tip.