Author Topic: Gluten Free Mother's Day  (Read 2138 times)

CakeBeret

Gluten Free Mother's Day
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
I'm finally being allowed to host a family event at my home ::)

I'm having a mother's day get-together for about 8 people, including my mom who can't have gluten. It's a casual evening get-together with snacks, and I'm making the whole menu gluten free.

Menu comments and suggestions are appreciated :)

Savory:
Deviled eggs
Brazilian cheesy puffs
Pesto stuffed grape tomatoes
Cucumber cups with cream cheese filling

Sweet:
Apples with caramel dipping sauce
My specialty Ultimate Cheesecake (crust topped with caramel, cheesecake, and then dark chocolate ganache) - usually made with graham cracker crust, I'm going to make a crust out of oat flour instead.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Gluten Free Mother's Day
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
It sounds great. I love brazilian cheese puffs.

If your looking for a little more variety, maybe do deviled eggs 2 or 3 ways.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »
Make sure that your oat flour is GF certified. Oats will cross polinate with wheat, we learned that the hard way with WulfiePartner!

Another great idea is GF cupcakes or regular cake. Betty Crocker makes a pretty good line of cake mixes that are GF.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/ has a lot of great ideas on her website.

thunderroad

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »
sounds wonderful, and the cheesecake especially so!

One thought--I make GF cheesecakes often for our family, and instead of graham crackers for the crust, I substitute whatever GF cookies I find in our local stores.  I have at times found GF graham crackers, but have also used shortbread cookies, chocolate cookies, and pecan cookies.  I have even made a nut crust, with chopped walnuts, butter and a little sugar.

Have fun!

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »
sounds wonderful, and the cheesecake especially so!

One thought--I make GF cheesecakes often for our family, and instead of graham crackers for the crust, I substitute whatever GF cookies I find in our local stores.  I have at times found GF graham crackers, but have also used shortbread cookies, chocolate cookies, and pecan cookies.  I have even made a nut crust, with chopped walnuts, butter and a little sugar.

Have fun!

GF anything is absurdly expensive here; it would cost me around $6 to buy GF cookies to use for the crust. I already have oats at home that I can grind to make an oat crust instead. :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
Oats are not gluten free, though.  They get easily contaminated.  So check the fine print on the packaging and see if it mentions whether or not they are gluten free.

What you could do, though, is make a separate little crustless cheesecake for your Mom in a bowl that she can just eat with a spoon.

I've had skewers with olives, mozzerella or boccancini balls, some sort of meat, basil leaves and drizzled with a balsamic vinegrette.  They were really good.  You just have to make sure the meat is GF.  Some salami style meats might have bread crumbs in them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dorrie78

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
I think I would add a vegetable tray with a dip of some sort. Many people might like something that can be a guilt-free crunchy and also cut vegetables can keep for a little while in the fridge if it doesn't all get eaten.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
As a celiac, I echo that unless the oats are certified GF, they're not.  They're contaminated.  Just sharing the same harvesting equipment with wheat can contaminate them.

They do sell GF graham crackers, too.  They always work awesome with my GF cheesecake.

CakeBeret

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
I am using the same type of oats my mother eats. They are not advertised as being GF but she is able to eat them without issue.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 02:48:37 AM »
I have a wonderful recipe for Chocolate Black Bean cake. Not a spec of flour in it, and even not health food friends liked it. (I make it because I'm diabetic and watch my carbs.) PM me if you would like the recipe. Really easy to make as it is all thrown in the blender.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 03:05:47 AM »
I would add more veggies, to balance out all the dairy

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
Also corn chips and cheese dip!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
I have a wonderful recipe for Chocolate Black Bean cake. Not a spec of flour in it, and even not health food friends liked it. (I make it because I'm diabetic and watch my carbs.) PM me if you would like the recipe. Really easy to make as it is all thrown in the blender.

Would you be willing to post it in the Recipes folder?  That sounds good and I've got a couple of GF friends...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 01:30:51 AM »

Would you be willing to post it in the Recipes folder?  That sounds good and I've got a couple of GF friends...

Will do!

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
Also one quick bit of advice, check your labels for the words "modified corn starch" or "modified food starch".  The majority of the time, the starches have been cut with wheat and can make someone sick.

Looks delicious, btw!
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.