Author Topic: Catering with toddlers?  (Read 784 times)

Fragglerocker

Catering with toddlers?
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »
I am throwing a birthday for my 4 year old daughter this Sunday. We are catering from a local Mexican restaurant. I am trying to figure out how much to order, but am running into some confusion because of the 40 guests,  about 15 are very small kids. (one is six, then there are a handful of 4 year olds, 3 year old, 2 year old, and a half dozen are under 2.) Other than one infant, all eat solids and yet I can't tell if I should count them as half an adult? More? Less?

I hate wasting food (and money) so I am hoping to figure the right amount while still generously providing for our guests.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: Catering with toddlers?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
I would cater for 30 people (so each child is a 1/3 of an adult person).
But that would vary depending on the guests. If the adults are all training for weightlifting or marathons, I would provide more food. If they are small and sedentary people, I would order less.

Kids are weird. Sometimes my kids eat two tablespoons of food. Rarely, they eat more than me. But on average, they eat less because they weigh less.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
If you can afford it and you can get the leftovers boxed up to take home - or you're having the party at home, cater for the full number but set aside food for about five for "emergency use only" and figure it is going to be for your family's next meal, so you can take some time doing the cleanup without worrying about cooking.

I'd have it set up in three or even four pans to bet set out on wire supports with pans of water & candles (WalMart & many party stores carry them for catering on the cheap) so that you can swap out the first ten or fifteen servings for more food in a clean pan - but have a half pan with the last few servings set aside where they can be put, sealed, into the fridge "for later" if you don't need them at the party.

Cleaning up a house after a big party can be exhausting and it s nice not to have to cook for your next meal.

We catered for extra for our DD's wedding from a Mexican place - the only thing that annoyed me was that some of the guests went around cleaning the tables of full plates of food so that they could move them aside to start dancing sooner...the HC ended up going out to eat later that night after the wedding.  The dancers apparently didn't want to leave a single table up for anyone to sit at - everyone had to be dancing or in another room at the venue.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:33:35 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mergatroyd

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
Toddlers tend to not eat a lot at once. I would say three toddlers = one adult. It will depend on what you order though, as ALL of the toddlers might only want ONE dish. Finger foods go over best with that crowd, so go more on the finger foods and less (quantity) of the dishes requiring forks and spoons etc..

Fragglerocker

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »
Thanks folks! Part of the reason we are using this place is the food is totally toddler friendly--taquitos, quesadillas, burritos cut in half. Other stuff too of course (like really tasty Mexican Caesar salad) but I'm hoping all the guests, big or small,  have plenty to eat.