Author Topic: Do I need to provide anything else?  (Read 477 times)

Goog

Do I need to provide anything else?
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »
DS is having a very small birthday celebration with a couple of friends.  (They're all in the 9-10 range.) We're going to do an activity and then will go to the buffet place so the kids can pig out on whatever they want.  Both families know that it's small....just DS and the other two boys. We will, of course, pay for the admission to the activity and then the dinner afterwards.  My question: do I need to plan to have goodie bags or anything like that for them to take home?  I wasn't planning on it, since it was so small, but then I started to second-guess myself.  Thoughts?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Do I need to provide anything else?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
Your plans sound lovely just as they are. By that age, I would expect goodie bags to have been phased out (I associate them with younger children, up to 6 or 7).

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »
No, that sounds great.

(I'm not a fan of goody bags, though they seem ubiquitous. For the last birthday I succumbed by having a craft where the kids decorated a little notebook and then I added a pencil and eraser and maybe a candy to a little bag)

doodlemor

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »
Former teacher here.  If you feel that you want to give a small token, how about an inexpensive paperback book.  There are probably lego and minecraft magazines, too.

lowspark

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »
When I was young and even when my kids were young (they're in their 20s now) goody bags didn't exist. I see them as just another thing to spend your money on that no one cares about or will miss. It seems to me that the trinkets & stuff that fill those bags are mostly throw away type stuff.

Anyway, off my soapbox now. I think the event you are planning sounds perfect as is. Don't think of it as a party as much as your son inviting two friends to celebrate his birthday with him. Goody bags aren't necessary for that kind of gathering.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »
I agree a goody bag is not necessary and probably will not be missed at all.

If you want to do something, I like doodlemor's idea.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
Former teacher here.  If you feel that you want to give a small token, how about an inexpensive paperback book.  There are probably lego and minecraft magazines, too.

This.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

purple

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
I'm a proud member of the "I love goody bags" team.

I always do them - for every party - Christmas Eve dinner, Easter lunch, birthday parties, Halloween.

(I should add, I'm a 40 year old woman with no children - I do them for all the parties with all my adult friends :)).

So, I vote yes, if your budget can stretch to a few dollars per kid, do a little goody bag  :).  I especially like a little goody bag or bon bon if it's a gift-giving event.  I wouldn't say you're rude if you don't do it though.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »
I do,not believe a goody bag is needed.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Your plan sounds perfect - i wouldn't add goody bags.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeEater

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »
I associate goody bags with 'pin the tail on the donkey, pass the parcel' type parties. Where would you keep goody bags while you did the activity, dinner etc, and when would you hand them to the departing kids? Sounds a bit awkward to me.

Plus, it takes a bit more than a party blower and a balloon to impress 9/10 year olds - anything you'd buy for a smallish cost probably wouldn't be that well appreciated, especially compared to their day's activities.