Author Topic: Gluten Free Mother's Day  (Read 3497 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Gluten Free Mother's Day
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
Sounds lovely!

Specky

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 06:32:04 PM »
Don't forget nut flours.

doodlemor

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
Here is my favorite dessert, which I've posted before.  It is extremely easy - it takes more time to prep the pan than it does to mix the beast together with a whisk. 

The initial sugar syrup needs to be done on the stove, but the chocolate and butter or cream that need heating can be done carefully in the microwave.  Just microwave a bit, then whisk - repeat until the chocolate is all melted into the cream.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2006/09/la_bete_noire

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
These were made as mini-cupcakes for a party I attended. Of the 8 desserts on the table, these were the ones everyone loved and were asking to take an extra home, even non-GF people. The woman neon madden them topped each with an small piece of peanut brittle.

doodlemor

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
These were made as mini-cupcakes for a party I attended. Of the 8 desserts on the table, these were the ones everyone loved and were asking to take an extra home, even non-GF people. The woman neon madden them topped each with an small piece of peanut brittle.

I never thought about making these as cupcakes - that would certainly affect the cooking time.  The recipe is supposed to serve 16, and it is very filling due to the high protein and fats in it.

LadyBatman

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
When I make gf cheesecake I usually home make peanut butter cookies (recipe on the back of the pb jar) then crush it up with butter to almost make it a paste. Pb cookies are really cheap to make!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 11:58:32 PM »
When I make gf cheesecake I usually home make peanut butter cookies (recipe on the back of the pb jar) then crush it up with butter to almost make it a paste. Pb cookies are really cheap to make!

Are those the kind that don't have flour?

Also one quick bit of advice, check your labels for the words "modified corn starch" or "modified food starch".  The majority of the time, the starches have been cut with wheat and can make someone sick.

That's interesting! I was of the impression that under the new rules if they *had* been cut with wheat, it was required that they say it on the packaging.

And that most modified food starch is not wheat based and is safe, unless it is specifically designated.
http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/nutrition/gluten-q-and-a/modified-corn-starch/
The FDA’s Code of Federal Regulations spells out what can be used to modify corn starch, as well as other starches, and none of the allowed substances contain gluten.

Modified corn starch sometimes appears on a label as plain “modified food starch.” In that case it is still gluten free. The only time you have to worry about modified food starch is when it is made from wheat. On foods regulated by the FDA, wheat has to be specified on the label so the label will say “modified wheat starch,” “modified food starch (wheat),” or wheat will be listed after the ingredients in a “contains” statement.

doodlemor

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 12:58:50 AM »
I've always thought that oats could be a problem with gluten, too.

I've made a walnut crust many times for cheesecake, and it is delicious.  I just ground walnut pieces up in my aged blender, and added sugar and butter.  It is an Atkins recipe - I'm sure that there are many online.  You could probably use other nuts, too.  Almonds are hard and don't grind as easily, but almond flour is available.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 04:22:16 AM »
sounds lovely.

YOu could also add hummus with ... something for dipping (corn chips? veggies? rice cakes?). or stuffed grape leaves (canned - oh so easy to pop open a can and dump artistically arrange on a plate

I have somewhere a great recipe for GF chocolate cake - it's beyond amazing , even for non-gf guests (I think i may have posted it here at some time. it uses ground almonds in place of flour)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyBatman

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »
Yes, the cookies are simply peanut better, sugar and egg. The recipe is on the back of kraft peanut butter. Most times i add a bit of gf all purpose flour in (to help with the shaping of balls) but if it's being crushed up anyhow as a crust, just spoon dallops onto the baking sheet!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »
I've always thought that oats could be a problem with gluten, too.

I've made a walnut crust many times for cheesecake, and it is delicious.  I just ground walnut pieces up in my aged blender, and added sugar and butter.  It is an Atkins recipe - I'm sure that there are many online.  You could probably use other nuts, too.  Almonds are hard and don't grind as easily, but almond flour is available.

Oats can be a problem because cross-contamination risks are huge, and sometimes they even happen in the field.

There are gluten-free oats available. However, every now and then there's a gluten-free someone who has a bad reaction even to them. But that's something else in the oats, I think.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
sounds lovely.

YOu could also add hummus with ... something for dipping (corn chips? veggies? rice cakes?). or stuffed grape leaves (canned - oh so easy to pop open a can and dump artistically arrange on a plate

I have somewhere a great recipe for GF chocolate cake - it's beyond amazing , even for non-gf guests (I think i may have posted it here at some time. it uses ground almonds in place of flour)

If you're talking to the OP then I just want to note that her party was a year and a half ago.    :)

I'm going to try some of the suggestions in this thread though - yummy!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"