Author Topic: Do you take a list when shopping?  (Read 2806 times)

reflection5

Do you take a list when shopping?
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
I always keep a list going at home and write down things I’m running low on.  Before I go to the store I add a few things, get my coupons, and go.  I’m also good at estimating the total ( I can decide if I’m going to pay cash, credit card, whatever.

Yesterday I totally messed up.  I took my list, glanced at it as I entered the store, and put it in my pocket as I was looking at some plants and flowers.  I decided to rely on my memory, which is usually really good.

As I began to put my things on the conveyor belt, I thought of two important things I forgot.  I apologized to the cashier, put my stuff back into my cart (she hadn’t started yet, so no biggie) and told the person behind me to go ahead.  This process repeated a few minutes later.

Why didn’t I take the list from my pocket?  I don’t know. :-\  To make it worse, when I got home I realized I’d forgotten to give the casher a coupon for a free item that cost $4 and the coupon expires today.  I got a few discounts from e-coupons I'd loaded onto my store card, but still.........

In the parkiing lot I realized there was yet another item I forgot - and it was on the list!  Didn't want to go back, store was crowded and I needed to get home to do something.

GRRR.  >:(  Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:27:23 PM by reflection5 »

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
Re: Do you take a list when shopping?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »
I try to use a list when I go shopping, using Evernote for Android on my phone (which syncs with my desktop, laptop and Kindle Fire devices).  There are time however that I will remember that I promised to pick up something and will just dash into the store after work... :)
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
I use a list when I go weekly or otherwise major shopping.  If I'm just running in on my way home from work for something for dinner, I usually skip the list.  I don't usually forget anything, but I'm a lot more likely to come out with double the items that I went in for on those quick trips.

CakeBeret

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:36:55 PM »
I'm a complete spaz, so I always use a list when shopping. I keep the list on my phone, and if I have any coupons I also notate that on the list.

Your grocery store reminds me of last night when I decided I was going to make a recipe from memory. First I forgot to add the cheese...then I realized I forgot to add the egg...I got it put in the pan and realized I forgot to grease the pan...and then I realized I left out the salt! Some days I swear I don't know how I function. ;)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

MindsEye

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »
I use a list.  I use lists for everything....

During the week I keep a list on the fridge where DH and I can put down stuff that we have run out of.  Then on Saturday morning I decide what I want to cook for lunches/dinners during the week, and fill in the rest of the list with all of the ingredients that I need.  Then I ask DH if there is anything else that I need to add to the list.  Then the list and I go to the store.

I shop to the list, and very rarely deviate from it (like, only if there is an unexpected sale on salmon filets or something like that) so if something isn't on the list, chances are good that I won't buy it.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39:44 PM »
I make lists for everything, so it's only natural that I make grocery lists. I keep a pad stuck to the refrigerator and when we run out of something, it goes on the list. One day a week I sit down and make a meal plan for the week, add those item to the list, ask anyone who's home if they need to add anything, and I'm good to go.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
I use the cozi app on my phone as a shopping list (and to plan meals). That way, my DH can also add whatever he wants to the list if I'm going to the store. I always order it in the order that things are laid out in the grocery store... otherwise I end up forgetting something. I usually keep my coupons in my wallet, too, so I remember to use them. :P
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Gail

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
I HAVE to use a list. Because the moment I enter the store I begin to look around -oooh, shiny packets, red, blue, oh, chocolate!... look, popcorn!... - and my mind goes blank and I'm lucky if I remember one thing I need.  :-[ :-[ :-[
The last time I said what I was really thinking there was an "intervention".

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
I shop to the list, and very rarely deviate from it (like, only if there is an unexpected sale on salmon filets or something like that) so if something isn't on the list, chances are good that I won't buy it.

When I have a list I rarely deviate, but for some reason last week I got completely scatterbrained.  Part of it was that I worked half a day and then went to the store without eating lunch (hungry at the grocery store is usually a bad idea).  I didn't buy anything that won't get eaten, but I did buy 20 pounds of chicken.  For DH and I.  I wasn't expecting to see whole chickens at Sam's for $0.99/lb.

andi

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
I make a list - but then forget to take it. I used to do the "running" paper list but would always forget it. Now I use my phone- but forget to put things on it (not always where I need I)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »
I keep a list on my fridge for stuff we've run out of - but there are certain things I just buy, routinely, and sometimes I'm not sure what I want (fruit or salad for lunch? what's on sale and in season?) so I just put down categories.

Of course, the 'buy things routinely' sometimes means I end up with five containers of salad dressing or six dozen eggs (DP eats 3 eggs a morning, doctors orders, and so we go through an absurd amount of them). However, most of the time, it works out.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:51 PM »
When I lived alone I would only use a list if shopping for a specific recipe (not often). I knew what I had and what I needed/wanted and all was fine. it helped i had 2 grocery stores each no more then 3 blocks from my home so even if i forgot something it wasn't too big a deal.

Now that I'm married and one of those stores has closed, I tend more to use a list, but even then, its only a few items, the major of the shopping I wing. And often the list is vague "meat" or "veggies" or "fruit" and I just see what looks good or is on sale once I get to the store.

I have a great list pad - a magnetic pad on my 'fridge. I start the list from the bottom, up, so I can just cut off the portion I need and still have the rest of the paper for the next list - I've had the same pad for almost 4 years now since its about 6 inches long but I never use more then 2 inches at a time.

MrTango

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
I use the Grocerysmart app on my smartphone.  The app allows anyone who knows the loging & password to access the lists from their phone's app or from a web browser.

That way, if one of us (me or LadyTango) is going to the store, the other one can add to the list from wherever they are and the lists will synchronize with each other.

turtleIScream

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
And often the list is vague "meat" or "veggies" or "fruit" and I just see what looks good or is on sale once I get to the store.

I have a great list pad - a magnetic pad on my 'fridge. I start the list from the bottom, up, so I can just cut off the portion I need and still have the rest of the paper for the next list - I've had the same pad for almost 4 years now since its about 6 inches long but I never use more then 2 inches at a time.

I do that too! Except my note pads don't last that long.

I tried to keep my list on my phone, syncing with my husband and daughter's phones. It was great for letting them add things, but I could never view the list, track what I'd already purchased, and still manage to drive my cart. So I am back to paper.

And I use a list for all my shopping, not just groceries. It's especially helpful when shopping for kids clothes and staying within budget.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
Not unless there's a recipe I'm going to make.

Otherwise, I just think about what I need when I get there.