Author Topic: Do you take a list when shopping?  (Read 2678 times)

GratefulMaria

Re: Do you take a list when shopping?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
Oh, I love lists!  For everything!  DS1 and DS2 amuse themselves by telling me they do their grocery shopping without one, just to see me twitch.

My grocery list is in my personal planner, so DH doesn't often go in it -- either he's rushed, or doesn't want to poke around in my stuff, or he can't find it.  Our policy is if we're running out of something to leave it, or its empty container, on the counter.  As soon as one of us gets it on the list, back away it goes.

If I forget my list, I kind of rebuild it by mentally walking through our day and its meals.  That usually gets me home with most of what we needed, even though it feels as though I've been playing some sort of 3D chess game in my head.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
Heck yes! We are a family of 5, one kiddo eats as much as DH, so I have to be very strict with our groceries or we'd easily spend over $1k a month just browsing and grabbing whatever looks good.

I pre-plan meals two weeks at a time and write three grocery lists on a phone app I use (ShoppingList which totals it up including tax, then you check things off as you shop). I also add to it as needed for the usual toiletries, cleaning products, etc.

Each payday Monday I hit Costco for meat, milk, eggs, cereal, lunch packing stuff, etc., then the grocery store for both weeks' worth of non-perishable goods and the first week's perishables. The following Monday I get the perishables for the 2nd week. I go with only about $10 more cash than I expect to need just in case I see something I had forgot to put on a list, and stick to my budget.

pandabear

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »
 I too use a list.  I keep a pad on the fridge, as others have mentioned doing.  Then I rewrite the list, adding whatever else is needed for dinners to a sheet of paper I keep in a three-ring binder that also holds all my coupons.  I try and mark which items I have a coupon for as well.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »
Yes. I always use a list or the Out of milk app to make a list electronically.

I plan out X number of dinners, lunches, special items a week, then add breakfast and snack supplies. I only shop at Publix, Sam's Club and BJ's, so I divide amongst those stores on the same list. I rarely have or use coupons, as I buy primarily fresh items and store brand staples.

gingerzing

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 02:16:42 PM »
I write my list out after I make my weekly menu. 
My DH thinks that I am slightly odd since as I write my list out I have spaces (large to small) while writing it out.  That is because I try to write my list in the order of the grocery store aisles. 
When we lived in Suburb, it was fairly easy since I usually only shopped at one particular store.  So not only was my list in order of the aisles, it usually was in the order of the items in each aisle. 
Since we live in town, I have several stores that I can choose to go to.  Though normally I have two that I usually go to so I fold my paper in half and on one half is Trader Joe's and the other Hy-Vee (regional grocery store like Kroger or Food Lion)  And I try to get the basic aisles correct.  We usually pick up a couple extras while shopping.  (especially when TJ's is sampling something)

We also tend to have to make a list for the day if we have loads of errands to do.  Again, I try to make it go in an order so we aren't going to the west side of town and then to the east side for a hair appointment then to the west side again for something else.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »
Oh, goodness, yes!  DH and I are huge list freaks.  Groceries, to-do, packing for trips, baby reference info.  As I type this, I have two separate documents open that are both lists for something.  So yes.  Lists are big.*

For groceries, we keep a notepad with a magnet on the back on the fridge.  We write down whenever we're out of or low on something, especially if it's something we don't run out of often and therefore take for granted, like yeast or pickle relish.  We also sit down once a week and make our meal list for the following week (did I mention lists?  Lists.).  We make sure we have all the ingredients for the meals we're planning, and add whatever we don't have.

I also go through sale ads for the places we do our grocery shopping at, and make a list (seriously, my life could be a drinking game for lists) of what's on sale, and anything we can stock up on from that list we add to the grocery list as well.

* You know what's sad?  I very nearly started making a list of all the lists I make and maintain.  I think I may need a list intervention.  Let me go make a list of people who should come.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
I wouldn't be able to function without lists.

I have a running Costco list that I start as soon as I realize I need something from there.  Once the list gets sufficiently long, I'll make a trip.

For weekly shopping, I make a grocery list and then I make a list of stores and what their sales are that I'm interested in.  Then I go to the one or two stores that hits the most items off my grocery list, on sale.

And if it isn't on the list, chances are really good that I'll forget to grab it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »
I create meal plans for Sun-Thur and do all of those in one weekly shopping trip, usually on Sat/Sun. I always use a list for this trip. We have a wipeoff board near the kitchen that gets items added to it during the week and I'll include those on the list. The kids learned by 9 or 10 to not complain that they were out of their favorite cereal/snacks/fruit/drinks if they hadn't added it to the board. Trying to say that they had told me doesn't fly.

If we decide to eat at home Fri or Sat evenings, I'll just go to the store and find what looks good to make unless I have a new dish I want to try and then I'll take a list with me.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »
For me there are two distinctively different kinds of shopping:

One is grocery shopping and for that I always use a list and rarely vary from it under any circumstances.  My husband does some of the grocery shopping too, and he is even more of a stickler for keeping to the list than I am.

The other kinds of shopping though --  clothes, Christmas gifts, stuff for the house -- I take a "kind of" list.  That consists of stuff I know we need, but that I won't buy unless I see something I really, really like and want to buy. 

For the grandkids' Christmas gifts I just write down each of their names and  at any time during the year when I see something I think one of them would like, I buy it and put a mark beside that one's name.  I keep going until each child has the same number of gifts in the same approximate total price range.  I keep a running total for each child on my computer and write down on the list the 'amount left to spend to keep things even' when I get near the end.

So far that system has worked for me and I've never, so far, been more than a couple of dollars off from one child to another which is insignificant as long as all the kids liked whatever I got for them.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »
It depends, if I am going for basics like milk and cheese, I don't, but if it is before a holiday or company visiting, I always bring my list. Or, if  I am shopping with my kids and dh, as there are many distractions at that point. :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »
I used to have to take a list when the DDs were younger. It kept them from asking for extras. I would say "Sorry, hon, it's not on the list." ;D

When they got old enough to take the list and the cart while I stood in line at the deli, I noticed a few extras would pop up in the cart. "Excuse me? That's not on the list!"

"Oh, yes it is!" They showed me the list. Yup, the little buggers brought a pen and added the items to the list. ::) ;D

Now, I don't use a list unless I'm party planning or making a new recipe. DD#2 does her own shopping for her lunches (she does make a list) and I usually do the dinner shopping by seeing what's on sale and go from there.

For items that are must-get I think in my head "4 things -- TP, Milk, Laundry Detergent, Ketchup. 4 things, 4 things, 4 things." Then I get 3 things just fine and stand in the middle of the store, staring off into space like an idiot, thinking "4 things. What on earth was the 4th thing?"

Yeah, maybe I should start taking a list again. :P

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 07:18:09 PM »
I take a list and my coupons, but always allow for some "float" money for deals or "oh what the heck" buys.  I know that defeats the discipline of only buying off the list  ::).

SiotehCat

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »
I refuse to use a list. I don't like the way it makes me feel.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
I make two lists- I have a master list of everything I ever buy on my computer, so I copy that and remove everything I don't need. Then I copy the revised list on paper and carry that along.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
For grocery shopping I use Grocery IQ. When I'm working in the kitchen, I usually have my phone playing either audible, podcasts, or amazon cloud player. So I just scan anything I'm low on into Grocery IQ.

Produce was harder because it would depend on what was available at the farmer's market. But now I use  http://www.greenling.com/ they deliver 2x a week from the same farms that are at the famer's market. So I take my Chromebook into the kitchen and order what I need and want. I'm trying one of their meal boxes this week. They should be delivering the makings of my tacos in the next hour and 1/2. (You get to pick a morning or afternoon delivery. The box was cold to the touch when I got the first one Tuesday.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future