Author Topic: Do you take a list when shopping?  (Read 2609 times)

demarco

Re: Do you take a list when shopping?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »
I don't keep a running list but I always make a list just before leaving for the grocery store.  I  put eight headings on the sheet: produce, canned, condiments*, staples, nonfood, dairy, frozen, and meat. Then, I swing around the kitchen, checking the fridge and the cabinets.  I usually also look in the bathroom closet and the laundry to see what is missing and put the missing items on the list, under the appropriate category.  Then I add whatever special things I want to make in the coming week.  I can zip through this whole process in five minutes. 

Organizing things into categories helps me remember everything in the event that I somehow manage to lose the list before I get to the store. 

I've been trying to adjust to using a grocery list app but I'm not there yet. 

* For the purposes of my list,  "condiments " includes condiments and whatever doesn't fit into the other seven categories. 

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 11:56:28 PM »
I have the Grocery Gadget app on my iPhone, with lists for all the major places I shop. DH has it on his phone too and we're joined via the app so he can add things and it syncs across all devices immediately. Our lists are also accessible from any PC via their online site. Me going shopping without a list is BAD. I meal plan Saturday-Saturday & then make my shopping list based off of that & whatever the family adds. No list = me forgetting lots of important things.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 02:31:45 AM »
Not usually, but I am trying to develop the habit of always shopping with a list.  Browsing the aisles and shopping when hungry are two huge mistakes. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2013, 05:58:57 AM »
My shopping needs are threefold:   the items we buy on a weekly basis like bread, eggs, dairy, fruit/veg.
The fruit and veg, while i tend to buy the same things every week, I do focus on fresh/in season so I just buy what is available in the market. So no list for these items.

Second group are things we buy when they run out. For this We have a whiteboard on the fridge where we [ are supposed to] jot down the big items we run out of like spices, salt, to, etc. Plus specialty/seasonal items ( matza for passover, baking goods for someone's b-day cake. For these I do use a list cause otherwise I'll for get

The third group are specials at the store-but I try to stick to items I would buy anyway, just maybe wasn't' planning on buying on that particular day. I'm not going to pass on cheap chicken just cause it wasn't on the list

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2013, 08:56:48 AM »
I've always used a list when shopping and, since I know the layout of the stores, set the list up by aisle.

Once Mr. Thipu retired, he started using them too.  A list saves money by minimizing impulse purchases.

We like daily calendars and the pages are a good size for a shopping list. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
I've always used a list when shopping and, since I know the layout of the stores, set the list up by aisle.

Once Mr. Thipu retired, he started using them too.  A list saves money by minimizing impulse purchases.

We like daily calendars and the pages are a good size for a shopping list.

When I was fresh out of high school and had my first full time job I worked with a wonderful lady.

One thing I found odd was that, during breaks, she would take out a piece of paper and write something in the middle of the paper. Then another word on the top left corner, then another word in a completely random spot.

Curiosity finally got the better of me, so I asked her what she was doing.

She was making her shopping list like you do -- writing the items down in aisle-order and placement of the product!  ;D

Thanks for the memory, Thipu. I haven't thought about Verna in years! She was quite the lady.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2013, 02:20:13 PM »
Usually I do, though it's often general (fresh vegetable, frozen vegetable, cheese). If I don't, I end up doing what I did yesterday and forgetting two important things and buying a bunch of extras.

NyaChan

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 02:36:53 PM »
I try to make lists but then I realized that unless I put the items in the order that I'd find them in the grocery store, it just made things harder on me.  If I ever had a pen on me I could have crossed things off as I went, but that never seems to happen  :(  Instead, I end up skipping things, then forgetting, then having to go back across the store.  Easier for me to go through, get whatever I remember I need and then check the list to see if there is anything I want badly enough to go back into the fray for.

delabela

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
I have to have a list when grocery shopping or I waste time trying to remember what I need.  I set it up by category, and include the meal plan and coupons I want to use.  It's actually probably the most organized thing I do! 

There are specific items I check every week to see if they are on sale - they don't go on the list because I automatically check them. 

reflection5

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
put the items in the order that I'd find them in the grocery store,

This is what I do.  I organize my list arrocting to where the items are located in the store.  When a store remodels and rearranges it throws me off for awhile.

emwithme

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
As DH is not working (and I am dealing with some disability-related issues), we tend to do the grocery shopping together.

We have a wipe-clean board on the fridge door where we write things in the week as we finish/run low on them.

Our choice of supermarket has a lovely cafe and we always have something to eat before we start the shopping.  When we've eaten, but haven't finished our drinks, I take the note I've made of what's "on the wall", and we discuss what we fancy eating for the week.  With that quick meal plan in mind, I then write the proper shopping list "in aisle order". 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »
I don't have a smartphone, so no grocery list apps, but I got a program for my computer that lets me keep a list.  I made a list of all the aisles by number... for instance, 15 is Dairy, 14 is paper products, 13 is cleaning supplies (only I have lot more detail in the contents of the aisles).  I have a master list, so if I need something I buy regularly, all I need to do is click on it in the master list and hit the arrow key, and that moves it to that day's list.  If it's something that I haven't bought before, I add it to my master list, selecting the department at that time.  Then when I'm ready, I print out the day's list, and it organizes it by aisle.  Since the aisles are numbered instead of just labeled by name, they go in the correct order.  So I'll have a list that is something like

00 - Produce
bananas
carrots

01 - Ice cream
ice cream

02 - Soda
Coke Zero

03 - Salty Snacks
Snickers bars
Saltines

Etc.
So then I can start where I want and progress through in whatever order I want, and I know exactly what aisle number to look in.  It's great, because it used to be that I had a general idea of where raisins were, but I'd need to walk slowly as I went through that section of aisles and look up high on the right, or whatever, checking to see which of those aisles had it.  Now, I know *exactly* which aisle it is, and I can speed quickly past aisles that don't have anything I want.

We're moving soon, and I'll have to find a new grocery store.  :(  Sad.  So I will have to spend a day going through and writing down the main contents of each aisle, and change the department labels in my program.  But once they're set, they'll stay forever.  Oh, and you can make the settings different for each store, so if you shop at multiple stores, you can have different departments listed for each.

reflection5

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
So I will have to spend a day going through and writing down the main contents of each aisle, and change the department labels in my program.

MommyPenguin, after you move and find a new grocery store you might check at the Customer Service counter or ask a manager if they have a printed list  which tells aisle numbers and contents.  My store did this after they remodeled (I didn't know until I saw someone referring to the list).  It's cross-matched with alphabetical list of items.  Very helpful!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 01:37:02 AM »
I keep a list on my fridge for stuff we've run out of - but there are certain things I just buy, routinely, and sometimes I'm not sure what I want (fruit or salad for lunch? what's on sale and in season?) so I just put down categories.

Of course, the 'buy things routinely' sometimes means I end up with five containers of salad dressing or six dozen eggs (DP eats 3 eggs a morning, doctors orders, and so we go through an absurd amount of them). However, most of the time, it works out.

I make out a list, but I also list things I don't need to buy.  This comes in handy if I bought, say, paper towels that were on sale the time before, because we don't use them that fast.  I always buy at least four boxes of tissues, because this is something we use constantly, but occasionally they do pile up.  I remember once getting on an onion soup kick - I use onion soup in recipes and could never remember if I'd bought it or not, and we ended up with four boxes of onion soup.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 09:21:10 PM »
I thought about this thread today. I needed to go to the store, so I consulted the ad, clipped the digital coupons I needed and used my list.

A funny story of excess products: My FIL loves to spend hours at his three favorite stores. He will buy things he thinks he needs, but doesn't always check first to see if they have extra. He bought a 4-pack of brown mustard and brought it home. I opened the pantry to show him the two other 4-packs. He and MIL live alone!