Author Topic: Babysitting wages.  (Read 994 times)

snowdragon

Babysitting wages.
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
 I am looking for a job and one of things I did was register on Care.com as looking for both babysitting and senior care positions. What I've noticed is that the wages for babysitting are almost always around $5.00/hr but want someone to shuttle kids to and from school and activities - most times for multiple kids.
  Am I right in thinking that this is rather low paying for what is expected. I could almost see $5.00/hr  ( almost!) if one were picking one kid up at the bus stop and only staying at the kid's home.
   What is a reasonable wage for a babysitter these days, if one is expected to watch multiple kids.

Thanks.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Babysitting wages.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
My mom, nannying for a family back in the early 90s, made $10 an hour for one kid. Even when I was babysitting (about the same time) I was making $5 per kid, per hour. I'd say the people looking for those kind of wages are looking for a high school kid who is too dumb to know they are being taken advantage of - that's not even minimum wage! I'd expect to pay about $10 for the first kid and $5 each additional kid, per hour, plus gas for shuttling them around.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »
My daughter, a college student, makes about $10 an hour to babysit one child in the child's home. There's no driving involved. Mind you, DD is a fantastic babysitter, she's actively engaged with the child the whole time, no plopping the kid in front of the TV for her. But this is in San Diego which is kind of a high cost of living area.  I'd imagine the going rate would really depend on where you live.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Of all the things to low ball on, I would think child care should not be one of them - especially if there is driving involved!

I would expect $10 an hour minimum for the first kid with an additional $2-5 per kid, and some sort of extra is a car is being used (unless the sitter is driving the parent' car).

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »
That's very odd that you see so many so low! You can use the care.com rate calculator to figure out a fair wage in your area: http://www.care.com/visitor/childCarePayCalculator.do
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

MrTango

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
Yeah, I'd never provide childcare + transportation for that little.

I'd expect a minimum of $10/hr/child + $.25/mile.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »
Where are you? I can't even hire a mother's helper (someone to entertain the kids while I get some work done but am still in the house) for $5/hour. That's unbelievable.

ETA: Or is this $5/hour per kid? Like, they have 3 kids and are paying you $15/hour? Because that I could believe.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »
I live in the NYC area, which is pretty expensive.  It's at least $10/hour for one child for regular babysitting.  If transportation is involved, usually it's $15-$20/hour for one child, with another $5-$10 for additional children. 

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
In a major metropolitan area, I get $10/hour for babysitting a single kid, no transportation involved. Both families I sit for are moving away next month, so I never bothered figuring out what my price would be for the almost-here additional kids, but it would probably depend on how old they are.
For infants and preschool age? I'd probably add on another $2-3/hour. They don't require as much totally hands-on interaction to keep them from diving off the backs of couches onto their faces.
For additional toddlers I'd probably ask +$5/hour. They take WORK. Fun work, but still...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
I was getting $5/hr for two kids in the '80's in a small town so yeah, I think they're lowballing just a tad.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bottlecaps

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
I too registered on Care.com not too long ago, and was very dismayed at the pay rates I saw. That's the reason why I didn't heavily pursue any listings in my area. I can understand getting paid five bucks an hour for the occasional casual babysitting job of one child, but even the website itself has a disclaimer stating that all potential employers on there are subject to minimum wage laws, with said casual/occasional care gigs being the only exception. There was no way I was willing to watch multiple children as well as shuttle them around in my car for five dollars an hour - no way, no how.

Many people (at least in my area, but apparently in other places as well based on the comments in this thread) are lowballing on there. I would think that when finding someone to care for your children, that isn't something someone would want to skimp on!

I would expect at least $10.00 an hour, plus mileage if they're wanting me to do pick-ups, drop-offs, etc. Of course I'd be willing to negotiate, but five dollars is just way too little.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »
Don't ever try to babysit in a military town. It's ridiculous how little people want to pay for sitters. Sometimes what people want to pay averages to like $3 an hour. Its crazy. I have 2 young ones (4 year old and a 16 month old) and I'd pay probably $12/hr. At least. Haven't had to look for a sitter yet though because we can't afford it :)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
I hired two sitters from Care.com and I'm paying one $12/hr and one $15/hr. They both pick her up at the bus stop and stay with her at our home until I get home from work.
One of them is picking DD up from an after school activity and bringing her home one day per week (the one with higher pay).

So yes, I would take a look at the area and do a calculation - plus you can browse other members' listings to see what their asking rate is.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
I imagine Care.com takes a cut of the hourly rate or charges a fee of some sort.   That can lower the rate the parent is willing to pay, I would imagine.