Author Topic: Honesty: Does She or Doesn't She?  (Read 5024 times)

Amara

Honesty: Does She or Doesn't She?
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
I had an experience about an hour ago that has made a deep impression on me. I was at Albertson's, a grocery store chain picking up some things. At the checkout stand, I paid the $80 bill with a debit card and asked for cash back. I had to punch in the $40 amount. The cashier turned to her register, counted out the money, pulled the receipt and counted $100 into my hand.

I looked at it puzzled for just a second, then immediately spoke up. "This is too much," I said, "I only asked for $40 back. Here is all of it." I handed it back to her and she looked dismayed, startled, astonished and very much relieved.

"Thank you," she said with several sighs of relief and gratitude, "thank you so much." She handed me the $40. The bagger, a young man, and I then proceeded out to my car. Upon passing the doors, he said, "I would have taken the money and run." I glanced at him and told him that I wouldn't. We got to my car and while he was putting the groceries in the trunk I explained that taking the extra money wasn't even a consideration. It was a matter of honoring my late father and of acting in the right way because ethics are not a slip on/slip off garment but something live or you don't. He and my mother were always the two most ethical people I have ever known. They attended church but were never preachy about their beliefs; they kept them to themselves. They never told anyone else what to do. They role modeled the highest forms of ethical behavior throughout their lives.

But the reactions of the cashier, the bagger and the people in line behind me--all of whom were floored by my actions--is interesting. I have posted a topic on our local community website asking fellow members what they would do. But I wanted to post here and see what you would have done or hoped you would do.

As a point of interest, I really, really could have used that $60. So I will admit the thought of keeping it crossed my mind--but thankfully the thought was out of my mind, rejected, before it even finished entering it.  ;D

MindsEye

Re: Honesty: Does She or Doesn't She?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
I would not have kept the extra money, I would have done as you did... and in fact I have.

Actually I don't do cash-back at store checkouts anymore for this very reason, it seems like almost every other time I did it, the cashier made a mistake and either gave me too much or too little.  ATMs only from now on.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »
I don't really understand the question.

Of course I would give back the money - keeping it is theft. Straight up, black and white, theft. I doubt anyone is going to say they would keep it, and quite frankly I wouldn't trust that store anymore, or at least not help from the bagger, if he admitted he would have stolen.

Bright

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »
I was handed a 100 note instead of a 20 when I asked for cashback once. I didn't even think twice about it, I handed the note back to the cashier and told her she'd given me the wrong amount of money. She was so upset when she realised what she had done that she was visibly shaking. She had to call over a supervisor to deal with it.

I would not have taken the money. I've done similar when I was given an item that cost 100 more than the item I had paid for. (They were similar items in similar boxes). I handed the item back and told them of their mistake and got the item I could afford, which was far cheaper and not as good.

To me  it's theft and it's wrong. Years on my mother still chides me for these incidents. However if that cashier's till had come up 80 short she'd have been disciplined for it.  I couldn't have done that to her. It would have been wrong.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 03:56:24 PM »
Was going to respond and then WillyNilly said exactly what I was going to.  This one seems like such a no-brainer to me.  I'm saddened to think others wouldn't think so.

I don't really understand the question.

Of course I would give back the money - keeping it is theft. Straight up, black and white, theft. I doubt anyone is going to say they would keep it, and quite frankly I wouldn't trust that store anymore, or at least not help from the bagger, if he admitted he would have stolen.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »
I suspect the cashier was more astonished that she'd made such a huge mistake, and I bet the bagger was joking. I don't think most people who would seriously keep the money would actually say so out loud.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
I suspect the cashier was more astonished that she'd made such a huge mistake, and I bet the bagger was joking. I don't think most people who would seriously keep the money would actually say so out loud.

I was going to say that I think hypothetically, some people might think they'd keep it, but in the actual moment, they'd give it back. Then again there are those who just don't care and would keep it. Then there are those who might not notice and walk off with extra money, not being malicious, but just not thinking about the extra money.

Maude

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
She handed you $100 of YOUR MONEY.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »

Where are you getting that from?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »

Probably not. The OP had to punch in the amount to be charged to her card, so $40 extra was charged to the card but the cashier gave her $60 extra of what was just sitting in the till from other customers. Now, if the OP had been charged an extra $100, then that would have been her own money, but that doesn't sound like the case.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

I'm not seeing that . . . OP entered $40 on her debitcard by herself. The cashier accidentally handed over $100 instead of $40.

But that's a good thought . . . OP, have you checked your debit statement lately?

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

Nope. That's not how that works. She had $80 worth of product, but wanted $40 cash back. So she authorized a total debit of $120. If the Cashier gives her $100, that doesn't automatically mean the authorized debit amount changes to $180...the store is still only allowed to charge her bank the $120 she authorized.
Utah

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
Your bagger would have really rolled his eyes at me when I walked back from my car to return an overpayment of just $5 that a cashier accidentally gave me. I never even considered keeping it because I know it would have come out of the cashier's pocket and possibly cost him his job. Not worth it!!

reflection5

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
I have posted a topic on our local community website asking fellow members what they would do. But I wanted to post here and see what you would have done or hoped you would do.

OP, did you really expect anyone (here or any other website) to say "I would have kept the money.  I'm dishonest".

?    Really?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »
I have posted a topic on our local community website asking fellow members what they would do. But I wanted to post here and see what you would have done or hoped you would do.

OP, did you really expect anyone (here or any other website) to say "I would have kept the money.  I'm dishonest".

?    Really?

I'm hoping that was an honest question and not as snarky as I read it.

Some people do brag about the "Woo Hoo! I beat the system!" type of thing. My dear late FIL was one. He was born in the backwoods of Arkansas, raised with a still in his fathers barn. The stories I could tell! But he had a heart of gold and would be the first to offer you the shirt off his back if you even almost kinda-sorta looked like you needed a helping hand.

With the hard-luck life that he had growing up, he honestly did get a gleam in his eyes if some cashier handed back more change than what was deserved. He would brag about the incident. "Some stupid a****** wasn't paying attention and I got an extra $20 today! Ain't that a kick!"

No, I absolutely do not agree with his thinking.

But, deep in my heart? On some level? I don't blame him.