Author Topic: Honesty: Does She or Doesn't She?  (Read 5241 times)

reflection5

Re: Honesty: Does She or Doesn't She?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
Some people do brag about the "Woo Hoo! I beat the system!" type of thing.

(Honest question):  Have you ever known of anyone on this site/forum to do that?  Ever?

I don't think my previous honest question was snarky; not sure why you read it that way.  Rhetorical, perhaps, but not snarky.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:48:51 PM by reflection5 »

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »

(Honest question):  Have you ever known of anyone on this site/forum to do that?

Yeah. They usually get trounced pretty well, and their threads locked or deleted. But it still happens.
Utah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »
A friend of a friend worked the tills at a racetrack.  When they put money in the till, it somehow registers on the till and then you had to clear that before you read tickets to give money out to the bettors.  The girl at the till forgot to clear the screen and then handed out $1000 more to a bettor than he was entitled to.  She was on the hook for that money.

For me, if I discover a mistake in the store or the parking lot before I head home, I go right back in and fix it - either way (my favour or theirs).  If I'm not far away when I discover the problem, I'll head back if it is more than $1 or $2. 

If I get home, get unpacked and then realize the issue, if the difference is less than $10, I don't worry about it.  It would cost me more in gas to go back and get it fixed.  Because they are scanning errors (I don't do cash back), the till would still balance and the cashier wouldn't be out money.  If it was a situation where the cashier would be out the money, I'd make an effort to go back.  If it was a small Mom and Pop store, I'd mention it the next time I went in and fix it then.  But a major chain doing thousands of dollars a day in business?  I'm not going to worry about it, whether I owe them <$10 or they owe me <$10.

But if it was major, I'd go back to the store to sort it out.  It might not be that night, but I'd do it.  I have fibro so sometimes, by the time I get home, it is all I can do to make something for dinner.  I'd be out of spoons if I had to go back out most nights.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »

(Honest question):  Have you ever known of anyone on this site/forum to do that?

No. I've never seen that on this forum.

But there's always a first! Probably won't be a WooHoo! but maybe an admission with a reason.

If someone comes forth with an admission of keeping money, let's please not slam them. Okay?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »
If I get home, get unpacked and then realize the issue, if the difference is less than $10, I don't worry about it.  It would cost me more in gas to go back and get it fixed.  Because they are scanning errors (I don't do cash back), the till would still balance and the cashier wouldn't be out money.  If it was a situation where the cashier would be out the money, I'd make an effort to go back.  If it was a small Mom and Pop store, I'd mention it the next time I went in and fix it then.  But a major chain doing thousands of dollars a day in business?  I'm not going to worry about it, whether I owe them <$10 or they owe me <$10.

But if it was major, I'd go back to the store to sort it out.  It might not be that night, but I'd do it.  I have fibro so sometimes, by the time I get home, it is all I can do to make something for dinner.  I'd be out of spoons if I had to go back out most nights.

Even if you're at home, you could always call the store.  I once bought some items at a consignment shop, and when I got home and was looking at the receipt, I realized they'd forgotten to charge me for the bassinet sheet ($2).  I called the store, and they were able to have me read them the UPC and then charge my credit card again for the $2.  I'm not sure if that's typical, and it might only work if it's under the amount that doesn't require a signature, but I know I don't have to sign for a $10 purchase, so it might work.  It's worth a try, at least, if it's a case of being undercharged for an item or not being charged for an item at all.  Guess it wouldn't work if you were just given extra money.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
Most places don't allow till differences to be corrected out of pocket because there's too much risk of skimming.  Still, differences can indeed cost a cashier their job and of course, keeping money that you know isn't yours is theft.

Virg

Moray

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 06:01:10 PM »
Most places don't allow till differences to be corrected out of pocket because there's too much risk of skimming.  Still, differences can indeed cost a cashier their job and of course, keeping money that you know isn't yours is theft.

Virg

Yup. Speaking from a purely business perspective, why would I want to employ a cashier who makes costly errors?
Utah

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »

(Honest question):  Have you ever known of anyone on this site/forum to do that?  Ever?

I don't think my previous honest question was snarky; not sure why you read it that way.  Rhetorical, perhaps, but not snarky.

To answer your edited question, it was the:

?    Really?

that I found a bit snarky.

reflection5

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
hmmm.   ???

I really like Amara (and she knows it )   :)
Amara, if you were offended I apologize.

Cami

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
Many decades ago, when I was a kid in NYC, I was hungry while we were out one day near the Museum of Natural History. My mother decided it was time for me to learn how to order and pay for my own food and gave me a $10 bill to go buy a hot dog at one of the Sabrett carts. The vendor gave me back change for a $20 instead of a $10 and I gave him the change back. I can still see the look of shock on his face and in his voice as he thanked me profusely for my honesty, said he'd been a vendor for many years and that I was the first person to ever give him back money when he'd made a mistake and told me how much difference that $10 would make to his family.

That made a deep impression on me.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »

But there's always a first! Probably won't be a WooHoo! but maybe an admission with a reason.

If someone comes forth with an admission of keeping money, let's please not slam them. Okay?

I seem to remember a post about someone bragging  trying to commit unemployment fraud and thinking it was funny.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »

I seem to remember a post about someone bragging  trying to commit unemployment fraud and thinking it was funny.

Missed that thread . . .

Allow me to restate my request:

If someone comes forth with an admission of keeping money, IN THIS THREAD, CONCERNING THIS SPECIFIC TOPIC, let's please not slam them. Okay?

SiotehCat

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »
I have seen post on this forum about cashier mistakes. Like if a cashier gives too much change or forgets to scan sodas at the bottom of the cart. That kind of thing.

A few people have said that it depends on how much the change was or how much the item costs. I have seen other people say that if the cost of the item is worth less than their time, they won't return it because it wasn't their fault.

I tried finding the threads, but I am really bad at searching.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 06:51:23 PM »
jpcher is right in that that was a different topic.

But, in keeping with the tangent story for a sec, I think that person was banned, if I'm not mistaken.

Moray

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 06:54:13 PM »
jpcher is right in that that was a different topic.

But, in keeping with the tangent story for a sec, I think that person was banned, if I'm not mistaken.

If it's the person I'm thinking of, they weren't banned. Maybe there are two?
Utah