Author Topic: Honesty: Does She or Doesn't She?  (Read 4992 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Honesty: Does She or Doesn't She?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »
I don't really understand the question.

Of course I would give back the money - keeping it is theft. Straight up, black and white, theft. I doubt anyone is going to say they would keep it, and quite frankly I wouldn't trust that store anymore, or at least not help from the bagger, if he admitted he would have stolen.

We always tell when the change doesn't seem right.  It may take a little longer at the check-out to straighten out the situation but we don't want the employee to end her/his shift with a register that doesn't balance.  It's only the decent thing to do. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
My take on this is: What a horrible, horrible thing to do to the cashier. No matter how much I might be able to use the money, I'm sure her need for her job is greater. 

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »
Short answer: I would most definitely give the money back

Longer answer: This happened to me as a cashier running the "snack shack" on a golf course. It was totally dead one moment, then suddenly I was dealing w/a number of golfers ordering hot dogs, sandwiches, drinks, etc. and of course ringing them all up. Some guy gave me money for his order and I inadvertently handed him $20 back. So basically I paid him for his food. I thought I had messed up, but wasn't positive until later when I was counting out my till and I was $20 short. Luckily I had an understanding boss and it wasn't an issue, but I felt so bad.

Needless to say I couldn't imagine doing that to someone else  :-\

StarFaerie

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »
Every time it has happened to me, I have corrected the mistake of the cashier.

And the time the EFTPOS machine crashed half way through and no-one was sure if it went through or not, I went home, checked and when it didn't show up in 30 min, I went back and paid. (the owner though was so surprised that I came back that he gave me a bottle of wine)

And the time I found the KFC bank deposit sticking half way out of the after hours deposit box ($23,000 or so - written on the outside, I didn't open it) and put the deposit back in, made sure it cleared properly and then put in our store's deposit.

Anything else would go so completely against the person I see myself as, that it would be unthinkable.

Amara

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 09:17:29 PM »
OP back. =

The total came to something like $120 with the requested cash back. The cashier, who is an older woman but very good--I've gone through her line many times--looked at the receipt as she gathered the cash from her drawer and saw the $120 so grabbed the $100 and handed it over. It was undoubtedly one of those brain drain moments we all get to have now and again. ;D I don't know if she would have lost her job as the store has a union, but I am sure there would have been at the very least a disciplinary action.

And my question was honest. I did not expect anyone to raise her or his hand and say, "I do. I like to cheat others." It was just one of those experiences that really touched me in several ways. I felt truly good about my honesty; not that it's a big deal. It's part of my life like breathing. But that honesty benefited someone and maybe, just maybe, the young bagger will think twice about his actions if he has the same opportunity I did. (He wasn't kidding about keeping the money, I am sure. His voice told me that.)

katycoo

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2013, 01:50:03 AM »
Yes, I return the money.  I also ask the cashier to check if everything was scanned when my total looks low (I nearly got free pants by accident the other week at Target).

I have had one situation where I nearly took the money though.

I was at a bowling alley, and the fee was, say $12.  I paid with a $20.  And the guy gave me change, which included a $50.  So I stopped him, and explained that my change was wrong.  He double checked and said no, it was right.  I again explained that it couldn't possibly be right, and he had given me too much.  No, it was definitely right.  The third time I argued with him I thought to myself, 'If he STILL doesn't get it, I'm just going to concede and take the money'.  He finally twigged.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2013, 02:29:56 AM »
Every time I do as you did people are surprised.  And I'm surprised that they are surprised.
I always let them know of the mistake.  Why people don't see that keeping that money would be theft is beyond me.  It just isn't ours to keep.  :o
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

CakeEater

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »
I recently posted back some belonging of a hotel we stayed at when they were quite accidentally mixed up with our things and came home. The manager(?) seemed completely astonished when I emailed to ask for the best address to send the parcel.

Any time I notice an overpayment at the checkout or shortly thereafter, I'd return the money. If I noticed later that I was overpaid by a dollar or two (I don't know where the cutoff would be), I don't think I'd bother returning it.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »
I would, and have in the past, return money that was overpaid to us.

That said, whenever we get a really good and surprising deal at a store (items on sale unexpectedly, etc.) we usually walk sedately out of the store and then hurry to the car saying to each other, "Start the car!  Start the car!"

I hope I'm not the only one who remembers that Ikea commercial.

NestHolder

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »
I was once given double the requested amount by a hole-in-the-wall cash machine.  The receipt was for the amount I'd requested, but the cash was doubled.  I went inside the bank and explained that their machine was being ridiculously generous (and I'd been queuing behind another customer who'd just walked away).  It wouldn't have occurred to me to keep the money, even if I hadn't had my children with me, but for their sakes it was *essential* to do the right thing.

A few days later, I got a cheque for 50 (more than the extra the machine had offered me) and a thank you from the bank.  Which was nice.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »
I was once given double the requested amount by a hole-in-the-wall cash machine.  The receipt was for the amount I'd requested, but the cash was doubled.  I went inside the bank and explained that their machine was being ridiculously generous (and I'd been queuing behind another customer who'd just walked away).  It wouldn't have occurred to me to keep the money, even if I hadn't had my children with me, but for their sakes it was *essential* to do the right thing.

A few days later, I got a cheque for 50 (more than the extra the machine had offered me) and a thank you from the bank.  Which was nice.

Bold -- You are so spot on about the essential need to show a good example in front of your kids.

The two times the DDs were paying attention and I questioned the amount returned to me they were confused and wondered why I returned the money. They thought it was "free money!" I explained the theft aspect, the knowing right from wrong, the fact that the cashier made a mistake and would probably be punished for doing so.

A proud moment in my life was when DD#1 (16 at the time) told me that she bought gas and the cashier charged her from a different pump number -- which was about 1/2 of the gas she purchased. She corrected the cashier and paid the full amount owed.

DD#1 said "I was soooo tempted to just give him the money that he asked for. It would have been easy to just walk away. Who would have known? I could have gotten away with it . . . But it really feels good that I did the right thing."

Green -- Yeah. Isn't Karma wonderful?

My mechanic once forgot to charge me for an oil change. He did the oil change on Friday, wasn't able to do the rest of the work until Monday but I needed the car for the weekend. He said he'd give me one bill on Monday and let me take the car for the weekend.

When I picked up the car on Monday, I paid the bill thinking that it was a bit light. I got home, double checked the receipt and sure enough he didn't charge me for the oil change.

I called him up and asked about it. He said "Wow! You're right! Looks like you got a free oil change." I insisted on paying, he said it was his mistake and not to worry about it. I left a check in his drop box anyway.

Not that the service wasn't great to begin with, I now get wonderful bend-over-backwards service from my mechanic.

I certainly wasn't looking for any special treatment, I was just trying to do the right thing.

Sometimes doing the right thing pays off in the long run.

NyaChan

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »

Some people do brag about the "Woo Hoo! I beat the system!" type of thing.

(Honest question):  Have you ever known of anyone on this site/forum to do that?

I have seen it on this forum, in fact I saw something similar just recently on another thread. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
Some guy gave me money for his order and I inadvertently handed him $20 back. So basically I paid him for his food

He may not have taken the money deliberately/dishonestly. If it was that busy, he may have not noticed in the hubbub.

I remember one time finding money in my purse that I wasn't expecting. I suspected it might have been something like this - someone gave me too much change, and I didn't notice. While I should check my change when I get it, there are times when I'm in a hurry or things are crowded and I need to move on or some other reason why I don't do it at that moment. I remember trying to figure out where I'd been and who might have given me extra money. Or, if I'd just not realized I had that extra bill in my purse all the time and not realized it - and hadn't been given it in change at all.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »
I was at a big box store once and was leaving after I checked out. As I was walking out I saw a "wad" of cash on the floor. Like someone tried to put their change in their pocket and missed. I picked it up and returned it to the Service Desk. The clerk looked at me like I had 2 heads. Sorry ~ found it. Not my money. And then it made me sad about her response. Why wouldn't you turn it in? I was just sad.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I have probably been in a situation in which I didn't realize I had too much money until it was so late that it seemed way too annoying to take it back, especially given the amount of money.

But I have to live with myself, so I'm not knowingly walking out with anybody else's money or merchandise.

Once I went to buy fabric for Halloween costumes--specifically, a Harry Potter robe.

In the $2/yard section, there was a thin-but-substantial black knit. I asked the guy, "Is this in the right section? It looks too expensive compared to the other bolts." No, he said, it was the right one. "Are you sure?" I must have pressed him three times. Each time, no, he was sure.

OK, great, I told him I wanted something like 12 yards. As he was getting ready to cut it--hadn't put the scissors to it yet--another guy came buy and they spoke in their language, gesturing to the cloth. I asked what it was about--turns out the stuff was $6 a yard.

"Oh!" I said. "Then only give me 3.5 yards." No, he insisted, he'd quoted me that price, he'd sell it to me for $2.

"But you haven't even cut it yet! I asked you, remember, so I'm not surprised it's more expensive. You shouldn't sell it to me at that low price."

He insisted, I argued. After 3 rounds I gave up. And after I left the store I realized I'd forgotten to look for some other fabric for a knight costume, so I went back in to find him telling someone else about the goof.

I told him again, I'm so sorry, I could return some of the yards and pay the right price. I think he was a bit embarrassed to be caught talking about it, but he again refused.

So I bought vinyl fabric to make pants for a knight costume, and I make that store my first stop every time I go to the fabric district.

I'll say, even though I behaved completely honorably and perhaps had the right to feel proud of my "steal," it did feel a bit like a steal, with no quote marks. Kidna ruined the fun of the find.

But I made a ton of costumes out of that fabric, and he got a lot of goodwill.  I don't know if he got $12 worth of future profits out of it!