Author Topic: First aid kits . . . what's in yours?  (Read 996 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
First aid kits . . . what's in yours?
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
How many do you have? Where do you keep them?

What should one be aware of as far as "updating" them?*

I have one in my car (1 in the DDs car) full of band-aids, travel packs of neosporin, gauze pads and tape.

I have 4 ::) in my kitchen (I donate to a certain charity and one of their "thank you for your donation" give-aways is a first aid kit):

1 -- with a large assortment of band-aids, gauze pads, tape, neosporin and anti-bacterial spray.*

2 -- with burn gels*, gauze, gloves, scissors, etc.

3 -- with ACE bandages, sling, finger splints, heat & cold packs*.

4 -- pretty much a mish-mosh of everything else needed, including scissors, tweezers, rubber gloves, asprin packets, and a booklet on how to treat what injuries.

Am I on overkill here?

I'm curious as to what everybody else has for first-aid kits. How often do you update the "ingredients?"

*Do things like neosporin, burn gels and ice/heat packs (the kind where you twist them to activate) expire? Unless I'm stupid-blind (probably the case), I'm not finding expiration dates for any of these products.

Seven Ate Nine

Re: First aid kits . . . what's in yours?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
Both of my first aid kits are of the prepackaged sort.  I have a big one in the house, and a much smaller one in my atv.  I should buy another one for the car.  I buy my band-aids and neosporin separate, and try not to use them from the kit at home because I am a total klutz and go through a fair amount of bandaids.

Your neosporin and burn gel should probably have expiration dates on them.  If they are the type in a tube, it should be on the crimp.  If they are the packet sort, it's usually printed either on the end (embossed in the crimp again) or on one of the long edges.  I have no idea if the ice/heat packs expire.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
I try to rotate out my supplies and replace them every 5 years for stuff with no date, and more frequently for things that expire.

It is overkill for most people however, due to the intersection we live near, we have at least 1 accident a week at it, my kit gets lots of work! It is actually a fairly good sized tool box that I got at the hardware store. Kind of like this one http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W54022-22-Inch-Plastic-Tool/dp/B000N35N6K  I have braces for all the joints in it (we are a clumsy family) a disposable lab coat (for bad accidents/makeshift blanket) and a few other minor things that we have found around.  We joke around that we can treat just about any minor injury up to a limb reattachment from what is in there.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »
My kit stays in my baseball bag which is in my car from May to October.  I have a lot of cling wrap in there because trying to tape a bandage over a knee is a losing proposition.  I use the cling to hold on a 2X2 or 4X4 piece of gauze.  I have a disinfecting spray to rinse the gravel out of the wounds and I have tensor bandages for ankles and knees or to hold ice packs on.

The other thing I have that a lot of people don't is a breathing mask with a one way valve for doing mouth to mouth while doing CPR.  I also have non-latex gloves in there, since I'm allergic to latex.  There is also usually a disposable ice pack or two in there.

I keep another kit with basically just bandaids and polysporin in the bathroom drawer.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:25:37 AM »
 When I had a car we kept a first aid kit in it ( a store bought one) plus toilet paper and wipes in the glove compartment and towel/blanket in the trunk.

At home we have first aid supplies in a basket in the hallway closet:
Advil, burn gel, gauze and tape, ace bandage, thermometer, gel pack hot/cold, bandaid . I think that's it

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SheltieMom

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:13:10 AM »
Feminine pads, in assorted sizes. They are nearly sterile, and designed to be absorbent, so they are great for bleeding wounds.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

faithlessone

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 06:07:45 AM »
I've got a pre-packaged one in my car, which contains antiseptic wipes, plasters, dressings, bandages, scissors, tape and an emergency blanket.

The one in the house is a collection I made up myself. I've got 4 kinds of plasters (fabric, waterproof, blister and burn) in various sizes, bandages, dressings, 3 sizes of tape, antiseptic cream, and burn gel. I also keep supplies of painkillers (ibuprofen and paracetemol), cold remedies and throat sweets in there.

I've also recently put together a mini-kit, with plasters, antiseptic wipes and painkillers, which I keep in my handbag at all times.

As far as updating them - I keep an eye on the expiration dates, replacing as needed. I also have a clear out every couple of years or so, tossing anything that looks below standard. It's suited me well so far. :D

oogyda

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »
The one in my car is a standard, pre-packaged one.  Oogydad gets them as a freebie when he orders safety supplies/kits for work.

The one thing I always add to any first aid kit is Steri-Strips.  I had an accident prone child who would have had to have more stitches if we hadn't had these on hand. 

The one in the house is a box of pretty standard stuff (including the Steri-Strips). 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:03:37 AM »
I've got a pre-packaged one in my car, which contains antiseptic wipes, plasters, dressings, bandages, scissors, tape and an emergency blanket.

The one in the house is a collection I made up myself. I've got 4 kinds of plasters (fabric, waterproof, blister and burn) in various sizes, bandages, dressings, 3 sizes of tape, antiseptic cream, and burn gel. I also keep supplies of painkillers (ibuprofen and paracetemol), cold remedies and throat sweets in there.

I've also recently put together a mini-kit, with plasters, antiseptic wipes and painkillers, which I keep in my handbag at all times.

As far as updating them - I keep an eye on the expiration dates, replacing as needed. I also have a clear out every couple of years or so, tossing anything that looks below standard. It's suited me well so far. :D

What are plasters?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »
Band-aids and their variations are called plasters in the UK, and I'm guessing Australia and New Zealand.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
The usual bandages and stuff

Plus
Solarcain (use to lessen the itching if I have a reaction but can't wash properly right then)
Alegra
Wash cloth/alveeno soap
Cortisone cream
Individual saline eye drops
Meat Tenderizer is added if going to the beach. (For jellyfish stings)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »
Band-aids and their variations are called plasters in the UK, and I'm guessing Australia and New Zealand.

Thanks! ;D

I was thinking plasters for making casts for broken bones. :-[

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »
My main kitchen one has your standard gauze, band-aids, butterfly bandages, creams, aspirin, and cold pack. My ruck one has all of the above, tampons & pads (great for a lot of bleeding and puncture wounds), some nitrile gloves, a bunch of 550 cord, 2 belts, a couple of shiny space blankets, a nasopharyngeal airway doohickey and face mask for CPR that I got from a class, a sewing kit, some fishing line, matches, candles, and some MREs. It is my deployment/hurricane first aid kit though, so it is allowed to be random  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:56:19 PM »
And for those that are getting older...  Add a pair of magnifying glasses to your first aid kit, if you are including sewing supplies.  My brother is a wilderness medic; he had an incident on a canoe trip and had a really hard time putting in the stitches because he didn't have reading glasses.  So now there is a pair in his first aid kit.
Ontario

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
And for those that are getting older...  Add a pair of magnifying glasses to your first aid kit, if you are including sewing supplies.  My brother is a wilderness medic; he had an incident on a canoe trip and had a really hard time putting in the stitches because he didn't have reading glasses.  So now there is a pair in his first aid kit.

That is a great idea... I'm not so much on the older side, but things get fuzzy without my glasses. I should probably throw my BCGs in there as well. (BCGs = ugly, nearly indestructible glasses.)  http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2012/01/no-more-bcg-lovin.html Picture in this article. I am keeping mine until death do we part.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-