General Etiquette > Life...in general

proactive in the restaurant

<< < (2/7) > >>

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: Raintree on April 27, 2013, 02:49:29 AM ---On the other hand, during my limited time working in restaurants, sometimes I had to walk through a section that had nothing to do with me, to get a dessert out of the fridge, or something. When I say nothing to do with me, it was a completely separate section with a lighter menu, and I would have got in trouble if I'd left my own section and started helping in the other one. Customers would frequently stop me and ask for things, and I couldn't go get them as I had people in my own section to deal with urgently. Even if all I did was tell the waitress in that section, "Oh, that customer over there says you forgot his beer" I'd likely have been snapped at: "I'll be there in a minute!!"

--- End quote ---

As the customer, I wouldn't care about whether you got snapped at. Your problem.

My only concern would be getting the process started for getting me my forgotten beer. How the restaurant's staff handles it is their territory, not mine. I wouldn't presume to tell them how to deal with it. And your snappy coworker is a  restaurant management problem. I'm not going to sit there scanning constantly to see if my waiter has gotten back from whatever work errand took them  so I can raise my hand far enough for them to notice me during the 10 seconds that they happen to be looking in my direction.

They're busy, I understand. I just want to delegate the responsibility to seek out my waiter to someone who might actually know where she is.

NyaChan:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on April 27, 2013, 02:32:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: Raintree on April 27, 2013, 02:49:29 AM ---On the other hand, during my limited time working in restaurants, sometimes I had to walk through a section that had nothing to do with me, to get a dessert out of the fridge, or something. When I say nothing to do with me, it was a completely separate section with a lighter menu, and I would have got in trouble if I'd left my own section and started helping in the other one. Customers would frequently stop me and ask for things, and I couldn't go get them as I had people in my own section to deal with urgently. Even if all I did was tell the waitress in that section, "Oh, that customer over there says you forgot his beer" I'd likely have been snapped at: "I'll be there in a minute!!"

--- End quote ---

As the customer, I wouldn't care about whether you got snapped at. Your problem.

My only concern would be getting the process started for getting me my forgotten beer. How the restaurant's staff handles it is their territory, not mine. I wouldn't presume to tell them how to deal with it. And your snappy coworker is a  restaurant management problem. I'm not going to sit there scanning constantly to see if my waiter has gotten back from whatever work errand took them  so I can raise my hand far enough for them to notice me during the 10 seconds that they happen to be looking in my direction.

They're busy, I understand. I just want to delegate the responsibility to seek out my waiter to someone who might actually know where she is.

--- End quote ---

I've tried it before and the waitress just snapped at me instead "You need to ask your own waiter!"  But then that restaurant has service issues in general...

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: NyaChan on April 27, 2013, 02:34:20 PM ---
I've tried it before and the waitress just snapped at me instead "You need to ask your own waiter!"  But then that restaurant has service issues in general...

--- End quote ---

Ooh, I'm ready for that one.

"Would you find her for me, then? I'd like to concentrate on my dinner."

In my case, I looked for her but she wasn't in the room. If she had been, I'd have directly approached her.

And yeah, "service issues in general" is right! I've asked not-my-waiters to help me find my waiters. I've never had one of them snap at me! Ye gods.

camlan:
This is actually what Miss Manners suggests that diners who are stranded without their wait person in sight do. Find the nearest wait staff and politely ask them to find their own waiter/waitress.

I've spent 15 minutes waiting for the check, sometimes, after we are completely finished with the meal and wanting to leave. Or there's something wrong with the food and it needs to be replaced--if you have to wait 10 or 15 minutes to speak to the wait person, either the other diners are waiting and will have cold food, or they start to eat and are nearly finished by the time the correct food is brought to the table.

I just signal the nearest person and ask them to send our wait person to the table. Never had any response other than something like, "Oh, yes, right away! No problem!" and our wait person usually shows up pretty quickly.

It's a customer service issue. While each member of the wait staff has their own tables, they are all together in presenting good customer service to all the diners.It's all part of the whole picture the restaurant presents to the public.

Raintree:
I'm inclined to agree it's perfectly fine to ask someone to find your server for you.

I'd say if I had to spend half my meal scanning for a server to come and fix a problem, to the point where I couldn't just focus on my meal, there's a service problem in that restaurant and I probably wouldn't go there again. Occasionally having to scan and flag someone down is OK (sometimes they do forget things, and preferably I'm not waiting ages and ages for someone to appear to remind them) but if I had to spend the entire meal on server alert, waiting to ask for something, there is a problem with the service.

Usually I don't find it so hard to focus on my meal, because the server comes around and checks on things!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version