General Etiquette > Life...in general

Should I correct the teacher?

<< < (2/14) > >>

gen xer:

I might tell my own children it was not spelled correctly but no - I don't think I would have corrected the teacher.  I know it is a simple word that she should know how to spell.....but I just don't like correcting people.

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: gen xer on April 27, 2013, 11:20:36 AM ---
I might tell my own children it was not spelled correctly but no - I don't think I would have corrected the teacher.  I know it is a simple word that she should know how to spell.....but I just don't like correcting people.

--- End quote ---

I beg to differ, gen exer. 

Not liking to correct people is an admirable thing.  That doesn't mean that errors in matters of fact should be ignored.  A misplaced apostrophe on a sign is one thing.  A misspelled word on an educational poster for young children in a classroom is something very different. 

I would send the teacher a gentle note pointing out the error.  Although there might be a moment of embarrassment, in the long run, s/he would probably be grateful for the correction. 

However, I would be on the alert for other things that might be 'off' in that classroom. 

Sharnita:
Well, if you wren't expecting the teacher to be fallible before then this might be an indicationthat you should look for things that are "off".  Honestly, I wouldn't see this one thing as a sign of anything other than the teacher's humanity. I don't think there is anyhting with kindly pointing it out as long as it is done from that mindset. 

When I have had students catch something like that I congratulate them on paying close attention and cheerfully admit to being human and thus prone to mistakes. Then I fix the mistake and we move on. If parents or teachers model for kids that making amistake is a sign that something is "off" with/about an individual it tends to make the students less willing to take risks in the classroom like answering questions, attempting challenging material, etc.

Thipu1:
Please know that I don't believe the teacher is 'off' in any moral way.  I was just concerned about any other factual errors that might crop up in the teaching. 

We all make mistakes but people who teach young children need to be especially careful.   

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on April 27, 2013, 11:56:51 AM ---Please know that I don't believe the teacher is 'off' in any moral way.  I was just concerned about any other factual errors that might crop up in the teaching. 

We all make mistakes but people who teach young children need to be especially careful.   

--- End quote ---

I wasn't refferring to morals.  Everybody makes mistakes on the job.  I am pretty sure none of us have reached a level where we are flawless each and every day of our 30 some average years of working.  Certainly gratuitous issues migh raise a question but this is the one mistake the OP seems to have noticed from this teacher.  I think that it is healthy for kids (and the rest of us) to see that an occassioal mistakeshouldnot send us into a shame spiral, should not rain down judgement from others but should be an opportunity to learn, to fix the mistake and to move on with grace. If the adults on either side make a big deal out of a single mistake it makes kids afraid and/or judgemental. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version