Author Topic: Should I correct the teacher?  (Read 6236 times)

Betelnut

Should I correct the teacher?
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
I was at my daughter's school last night for a book swap event.  She wanted to show me her classroom and we went in (the door was wide open and I know it is okay to go into the classrooms).

She showed me her desk, the "cool off" area, the different stations, where the calendar hangs, etc.  I noticed a flip chart with a drawing of a flower.  It was labeled, "The Parts of the Flower" with the stem, the leaves and the pedals.  Yes, the "pedals."  I told my daughter that it was wrong and sort of rolled my eyes to myself.  I actually was sort of shocked even though the two words are homophones and, I guess, are easy to confuse.

Sigh. 

Later I saw the teacher but by that time I had forgotten the misspelling/confusion since it was an hour later.  Besides, I was having a good time interacting with the kid and seeing the teacher was a pleasure.  We talked and laughed about the bookmarks that my daughter's class had made and were selling at the book swap.  (I confessed that I actually made the ones that my daughter had brought in.)

But, would it be impolite to email her and mention the problem?  I'm sure she will be tremendously embarrassed but still!  "Pedal" instead of "petal"?

This is first grade, by the way.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

GSNW

Re: Should I correct the teacher?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »
I would email her.  It might be slighly awkward but you're saving her future mortification.  This makes me shudder.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
I'm tempted to say you should teach your daughter the correct way and see if she corrects the teacher.

But yeah, I agree, something should be said - teacher's embarrassment aside, there is a room full of little kids learning the spellings of basic words who are looking at a poster every day that spells "petals" wrong.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »
I would send her a private handwritten note.  I brought up, discreetly, a mistake on DD's homework paper to her teacher and she thanked me.  Misspellings happen to all of us, and it sometimes takes a second pair of eyes.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »
If I had made an error like that when I was teaching, I would have much appreciated a private heads up.  I think a brief and discreet non-critical note would be completely appropriate.   

I do wonder though how many other parents noticed.   :-\

gen xer

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »

I might tell my own children it was not spelled correctly but no - I don't think I would have corrected the teacher.  I know it is a simple word that she should know how to spell.....but I just don't like correcting people.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »

I might tell my own children it was not spelled correctly but no - I don't think I would have corrected the teacher.  I know it is a simple word that she should know how to spell.....but I just don't like correcting people.

I beg to differ, gen exer. 

Not liking to correct people is an admirable thing.  That doesn't mean that errors in matters of fact should be ignored.  A misplaced apostrophe on a sign is one thing.  A misspelled word on an educational poster for young children in a classroom is something very different. 

I would send the teacher a gentle note pointing out the error.  Although there might be a moment of embarrassment, in the long run, s/he would probably be grateful for the correction. 

However, I would be on the alert for other things that might be 'off' in that classroom. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Well, if you wren't expecting the teacher to be fallible before then this might be an indicationthat you should look for things that are "off".  Honestly, I wouldn't see this one thing as a sign of anything other than the teacher's humanity. I don't think there is anyhting with kindly pointing it out as long as it is done from that mindset. 

When I have had students catch something like that I congratulate them on paying close attention and cheerfully admit to being human and thus prone to mistakes. Then I fix the mistake and we move on. If parents or teachers model for kids that making amistake is a sign that something is "off" with/about an individual it tends to make the students less willing to take risks in the classroom like answering questions, attempting challenging material, etc.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
Please know that I don't believe the teacher is 'off' in any moral way.  I was just concerned about any other factual errors that might crop up in the teaching. 

We all make mistakes but people who teach young children need to be especially careful.   

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
Please know that I don't believe the teacher is 'off' in any moral way.  I was just concerned about any other factual errors that might crop up in the teaching. 

We all make mistakes but people who teach young children need to be especially careful.   

I wasn't refferring to morals.  Everybody makes mistakes on the job.  I am pretty sure none of us have reached a level where we are flawless each and every day of our 30 some average years of working.  Certainly gratuitous issues migh raise a question but this is the one mistake the OP seems to have noticed from this teacher.  I think that it is healthy for kids (and the rest of us) to see that an occassioal mistakeshouldnot send us into a shame spiral, should not rain down judgement from others but should be an opportunity to learn, to fix the mistake and to move on with grace. If the adults on either side make a big deal out of a single mistake it makes kids afraid and/or judgemental. 

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
Of course she should be corrected!

There's no need to over think it.  Just say "You've spelled "petal" wrong, the "d" should be "t.""  The best time to say it would have been right when you saw it.  Or, send a note with your daughter.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »

There's no need to over think it.  Just say "You've spelled "petal" wrong, the "d" should be "t.""  The best time to say it would have been right when you saw it.  Or, send a note with your daughter.

That seems a little too blunt to me.  I'd say something more like "I noticed that on your flower chart you had accidentally spelled the word petal as 'pedal'.  Just thought you'd want to know."

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »
As a teacher myself, I would appreciate the correction in the moment. However, I might think it over the top in a note.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
I would tell her, but privately. 

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Library Dragon

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »

That seems a little too blunt to me.  I'd say something more like "I noticed that on your flower chart you had accidentally spelled the word petal as 'pedal'.  Just thought you'd want to know."

This.  I've created bulletin boards where I accidentally misspelled something.  It's not a sign of incorrect knowledge as a human error.  I'd appreciate an email or short note if it happened to me. 

She may opt to quietly change it or share with the students that she made a mistake. 

I wouldn't worry about teaching incorrect information unless you see a paper or test marking correct information as wrong.  We had to do that a few times in my son's school lives.  We always chose to do it quietly, after school or in a note.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter