Author Topic: Does anyone here raise chickens?  (Read 1392 times)

CakeBeret

Re: Does anyone here raise chickens?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
I love having them around, because I find them funny. I also love watching the llama and alpacas try to decide if these are dangerous creatures or not (every morning). And there's something about the eggs. They just taste so much better. As a bonus, we don't wash our eggs, so we don't have to refrigerate them. And pickled eggs are a favorite this time of year.

Sounds tooo funny ;). I adore my relative's chickens, they are the funniest little creatures. It cracks me up to watch the rooster running full-tilt across the yard with his contingent of ladies behind him. They also like to sneak into the cow pen and cuddle with the calves.

We are thinking of getting 2 or 3 mature hens and a couple pullets. Once the mature hens start to peter out I'd add a couple more pullets. I think the pet aspect of them will be pretty strong by that point, to be honest.

I looked at making feeders and waterers out of 5 gallon buckets, we'll probably go that route. I also saw how to make nesting boxes out of the buckets, but it would probably be easier to have the boys build nesting boxes. That way I can have them put in a drop-down opening to make collecting the eggs easier.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »
I love having them around, because I find them funny. I also love watching the llama and alpacas try to decide if these are dangerous creatures or not (every morning). And there's something about the eggs. They just taste so much better. As a bonus, we don't wash our eggs, so we don't have to refrigerate them. And pickled eggs are a favorite this time of year.

Sounds tooo funny ;). I adore my relative's chickens, they are the funniest little creatures. It cracks me up to watch the rooster running full-tilt across the yard with his contingent of ladies behind him. They also like to sneak into the cow pen and cuddle with the calves.

We are thinking of getting 2 or 3 mature hens and a couple pullets. Once the mature hens start to peter out I'd add a couple more pullets. I think the pet aspect of them will be pretty strong by that point, to be honest.

I looked at making feeders and waterers out of 5 gallon buckets, we'll probably go that route. I also saw how to make nesting boxes out of the buckets, but it would probably be easier to have the boys build nesting boxes. That way I can have them put in a drop-down opening to make collecting the eggs easier.

If they can make a trap door for the other side, you'll have trap nests, which can be helpful if you're trying to figure out which hen laid which eggs. Most people don't care, but we're hoping to get one of ours to go broody about now and raise up a few.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

CakeBeret

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:46:58 AM »
If they can make a trap door for the other side, you'll have trap nests, which can be helpful if you're trying to figure out which hen laid which eggs. Most people don't care, but we're hoping to get one of ours to go broody about now and raise up a few.

We won't be able to have a rooster, so no baby chickies for us. Although my relative has offered to let us bring our hens over for conjugal visits with Mr. Rooster. :P
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 11:56:52 AM »
So enjoy reading these posts and looking at pics! No chickens here, but check out the Little House in the Suburbs website/blog for more info.

Calistoga

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
Careful when you get the chicks! Some places will sex for you, some places just toss chicks out in a pen and let you pick your own. Surprise boys are not fun.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
Careful when you get the chicks! Some places will sex for you, some places just toss chicks out in a pen and let you pick your own. Surprise boys are not fun.

Unless they are sex-linked, I can't blame them when they get it wrong. It's really hard to tell which are boys when they are young. Then again, that's where some of our chickens, goats, and ducks have come from, people who don't want boys.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont