Author Topic: Food Processors -- what do you use it for?  (Read 2240 times)

Blondie

Re: Food Processors -- what do you use it for?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »
I have a mini (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2AW-Mini-Prep-Processor-White/dp/B0000645YL/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367342748&sr=8-5&keywords=mini+food+processor) and I am actually in the market for a full sized- the mini is just too small.

That being said I use it (in batches) for everything from salsa to bbq sauce, grinding nuts for pie crust and salads, most Indian recipes I make, smoothing out pasta sauce (the boy doesn't like the tomato chunks...), making marinades, adding flavors to homemade marshmellos, dicing chocolate to melt and put on baked goods... I would say mine is in the dish washer at least once a week, and right now closer to every load.

The thing I miss with a big one, besides the size, is the functionality. I find the two button option very restricting, and you have to physically hold them on mine for everything, so there is no letting it process while I do something else. It sounds silly, but it is a little time consuming.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »
I have a large Kitchen Aide food processor from 1993. But after doing some research last year, I wouldn't recommend them to be purchased today. My old one was built by Magimix and has hardier parts. Last years research indicated they are now a lower quality manufacturing.

Magimix Robot is still a very high quality food processor sold under their own brand name. But they are expensive.

I use my large one for pie crusts, making cauliflower mash, salsas, large amounts of grating or chopping, and mixing up large quantities of meatball mix, or bread crumbs.

For small jobs, I have a Cuisinart immersion blender that has the ability to attach to a 1or2 cup bowl for chopping.  Good for small amounts of onion/vegetable chopping, bread crumbs, or herbs. Or when I need large quantities of chopped garlic or to make small batches of horseradish.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »
I have a mini one. I use it for things that don't require vegetable uniformity--meatloaves, burgers, etc. I've made pie crust in it before, and hummus. I like to grind up bacon and mix it in with the ground beef when I make burgers. (Although, this reminds me I got a meat grinder for Christmas that I haven't used yet...) I've chopped up sweet corn for corn chowder to thicken the soup. Chop nuts for cookies. I ground polenta once when I was out of cornmeal. Matzo crackers into meal.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
I always thought it was a bad idea to scramble eggs too much?  I think it does something bad to the egg material.

Interesting. I always thought it made them fluffier.

I'll admit, my usual way to scramble eggs is ala-Bijou.

I thought that something handy on my counter would help me out of my laziness and get fluffier eggs. :-\

I ended up ordering the Cuisinart Mini Prep Plus.

Can't wait 'till it gets here. I dreamt about easy-peasy salsa last night. ;D

(eta: Do you need to skin the tomatoes before putting them in the food processor?)

No, you don't need to skin the tomatoes.  Just don't over process them, otherwise instead of Salsa, you will be making tomato soup.  lol  The pulse button is your friend.

You will also need to cut the tomato into quarters or halves to get even processing.  Throwing a full tomato in will unevenly process.  Same with other large or harder veggies - onions, peppers etc. 

MrTango

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
My mother has a barbecue sauce recipe that starts out with diced onions and celery.  I love the sauce, but I absolutely hate the texture of celery (even cooked celery).

I put the celery and onions in the food processor.  I get even more flavor out of the same amount of ingredients, but I get a smoother texture and no celery texture in my sauce.