Author Topic: Sister's Wedding Rudeness -Update #104, #122  (Read 27957 times)

StarFaerie

Re: Sister's Wedding Rudeness -Update Invitations
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »

thoughts?

That's really bad poetry. Vogon-level poetry.

That made me laugh very hard. And I agree with your assessment.

KarenK

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »

thoughts?

That's really bad poetry. Vogon-level poetry.

That made me laugh very hard. And I agree with your assessment.

I don't know. It may approach Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings-level.

GSNW

Re: Sister's Wedding Rudeness -Update Invitations post 104
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
Uh... are they thinking that it's OK to blatantly ask for cash gifts in their invitation if it's worded in a way that rhymes?  That made me cringe. 

Amava

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
Uh... are they thinking that it's OK to blatantly ask for cash gifts in their invitation if it's worded in a way that rhymes?  That made me cringe.

Oh but come on! It rhymes, see? That makes it allll okay, see? See? No, I don't see it either.  :-\

Here, for more cringing fun: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/receptions/money-poems/8907.html

;D

missmolly

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
Definitely seems to be about all having the same hair/makeup colours rather than necessarily being together getting ready.

Shower invitations have gone out. Apparently the wording was ambiguous because guests have been asking if they have to buy a normal gft as well as Tupperware.
Bridesmaids have been requested to be there about 2 and1/2 hours early to set up, stay behind to clean up, and provide food, drink, cups, platters to serve food on, an Urn (if we have one), table cloths, etc, etc...

Wedding invitations arrived on the weekend, including the following poem (on a separate slip in the envelope):

your presence at the wedding is the greatest gift to receive,
witnessing the couple exchanging vows and state what they believe.
the tradition of the wishing well used on the wedding day,
is here both for your money gifts and for what you have to say
so please drop in a token of love for this special broom and bride

as they start their lives united by God, to live forever side by side

thoughts?

Here, I fixed it for them. No less saccherine perhaps but it's probably better to choke on sugary sweet words than indignation.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Amava

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »
Definitely seems to be about all having the same hair/makeup colours rather than necessarily being together getting ready.

Shower invitations have gone out. Apparently the wording was ambiguous because guests have been asking if they have to buy a normal gft as well as Tupperware.
Bridesmaids have been requested to be there about 2 and1/2 hours early to set up, stay behind to clean up, and provide food, drink, cups, platters to serve food on, an Urn (if we have one), table cloths, etc, etc...

Wedding invitations arrived on the weekend, including the following poem (on a separate slip in the envelope):

thoughts?

Here, I fixed it for them. No less saccherine perhaps but it's probably better to choke on sugary sweet words than indignation.

Aww, but now it doesn't rhyme anymore!  :(   ;D

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »

Set 'em out, ride 'em in, ride 'em in, let 'em out, cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide!

thoughts?

Better?  It rhymes and cuts the saccharine a bit!  ;)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »

Only if they hand out whips at the wedding!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Eeep!

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2013, 12:37:55 PM »

Set 'em out, ride 'em in, ride 'em in, let 'em out, cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide!

thoughts?

Bwahahaha!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

zainabzks

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
Is your sister marrying a brooom??? ;)

NyaChan

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »

hehe  :D

Arrynne

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »

"Here comes the bride, fair, fat and wide.
Here comes the groom, skinny as a broom
Here comes the usher, the old toilet-flusher!"

wyliefool

« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »

Oh but come on! It rhymes, see? That makes it allll okay, see? See? No, I don't see it either.  :-\

Here, for more cringing fun: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/receptions/money-poems/8907.html

;D

It should be illegal to attempt poetry without a license.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »
Ugh.

I had to read that three times to get past my interpretation of "The main thing you can do for us is to be here and witness our wedding--but we really want money too."

I would be tempted to take them at their word, write some good wishes on a pretty card, and drop that and only that in the "wishing well."

However, that has more than a little to do with how I value communication: the invitation as sent isn't bad poetry just because of the forced rhyming and such: it's bad poetry because it obfuscates what the writer is trying to say. It's one thing to layer meanings, and quite another to have verse that reads as either "ha, fooled you!" or "I changed my mind but can't be bothered to go back and rewrite."

In fact, I might explicitly wish them a long, happy marriage in which they always were able to communicate clearly with each other. That's something I would wish for any relationship, but saying it explicitly here might be a bit snarky.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »

thoughts?

Firstly - the shower. I don't think you're under any obligation to go early to help set up, nor stay late to help clean up. If I'm not mistaken, you're not one the organisers/hosts for this shower, right? This is something your sister wanted, and organised off her own bat. You don't have any say in how it is run. On that basis, I honestly think you're fine in just going as a regular guest. Oh, and you shouldn't have to provide a large chunk of the food and drinks either. If you want to bring a plate or a bottle of wine, that's fine. But I don't think you're obliged to do anything more. You didn't agree to any of this upfront.

Secondly, the poem. Gak! I agree with Tea Drinker in that I'd be sorely tempted to drop a nice card into the wishing well, and nothing more.