Author Topic: What would you do (roommate accidentally stole)? Update #53, Final Update #96  (Read 12116 times)

ettiquit

My roommate came home from the grocery store and told me that she "accidentally" stole the dog food that she got.  Apparently it was on the bottom of her cart, the store was busy, and even though she noticed it before she left the store, she decided to just leave anyway.

Now that I'm writing that out, I realized that she can't really get away with calling it an accident.

It surprised me that she did that, and it's really bothering me that I'm feeding my dogs with stolen food.

I was considering going to the store and explaining what happened and pay for it myself, though it would involve taking an already opened package with me. 

Should I just let this one go or try to make it right?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:30:17 AM by ettiquit »

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: What would you do (roommate accidentally stole)?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »
I would make it right.  My daughter once took a small doll that was in the checkout lane at Target. I didn't realize she had it until we were almost home and she confessed (she was 3 at the time).  I turned the car around and called her dad, who met us at the Target where she returned the doll personally and learned a lesson. 

LeveeWoman

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »
My roommate came home from the grocery store and told me that she "accidentally" stole the dog food that she got.  Apparently it was on the bottom of her cart, the store was busy, and even though she noticed it before she left the store, she decided to just leave anyway.

Now that I'm writing that out, I realized that she can't really get away with calling it an accident.

It surprised me that she did that, and it's really bothering me that I'm feeding my dogs with stolen food.

I was considering going to the store and explaining what happened and pay for it myself, though it would involve taking an already opened package with me. 

Should I just let this one go or try to make it right?

I'd make it right by going to the store's manager. Part of me would be concerned that the  manager would think that I'd taken it instead of my roomie, but I'd still do the right thing.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »
What if, the next time you buy dog food, you ask them to charge you for two bags (but only take the one), explaining that on a previous visit your roommate didn't realize until afterward that she hadn't been charged for the bag under the cart? I'm pretty sure the cashier would just ring the bag in twice and take your money without much comment.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:52:15 AM »
What if, the next time you buy dog food, you ask them to charge you for two bags (but only take the one), explaining that on a previous visit your roommate didn't realize until afterward that she hadn't been charged for the bag under the cart? I'm pretty sure the cashier would just ring the bag in twice and take your money without much comment.

I wouldn't go to a cashier because she might not have the authority to do that.

thunderroad

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »

You can go to the courtesy or customer service counter, however.

I did this once when I discovered, upon getting to my car, that I had a large bag of bird seed that I inadvetently neglected to put on the belt and the cashier did not see.  I went to the aisle, determined how much the item cost, went to the courtesy desk, explained with a smile that I had inadvertently shoplifted a really big bag of bird seed, and asked to pay.

The woman behind the counter was surprised but charged me.  You could similarly explain that a bag of "this" ended up at home without being paid for, and you would like to pay for it. 

LeveeWoman

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »

You can go to the courtesy or customer service counter, however.

I did this once when I discovered, upon getting to my car, that I had a large bag of bird seed that I inadvetently neglected to put on the belt and the cashier did not see.  I went to the aisle, determined how much the item cost, went to the courtesy desk, explained with a smile that I had inadvertently shoplifted a really big bag of bird seed, and asked to pay.

The woman behind the counter was surprised but charged me.  You could similarly explain that a bag of "this" ended up at home without being paid for, and you would like to pay for it.

That should work.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
I'm going to use your dog food as an example, so this doesn't get too confusing.

The next time you go to the store, get your dog food, and have the cashier ring up two of them, even though you only have one. Explain to the cashier what happened, and that you need to pay for the one that was forgotten. If there is a question, still, from the cashier, talk to a manager then. Accidents happen.

I've had this happen a few times, as a csahier and while it is a little confusing, at least the item was paid for.

Isisnin

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
I'd be concerned that the store would start thinking of me (if not watching me) as "one of those" or a "difficult/weird" customer. But I'd still want to be one with the universe, so I'd give a comparable dog food to an animal rescue group.  One of our local pet supply stores has a big bin for animal food donation by their door.  Perhaps yours does.

(this is assuming this is a big, corporate store, when a big, corporate profit margin (which, in my case, has been profiting from me for 20 yrs).  Mom and Pop store, I'd pay for the bag.)

LeveeWoman

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
I'd be concerned that the store would start thinking of me (if not watching me) as "one of those" or a "difficult/weird" customer. But I'd still want to be one with the universe, so I'd give a comparable dog food to an animal rescue group.  One of our local pet supply stores has a big bin for animal food donation by their door.  Perhaps yours does.

(this is assuming this is a big, corporate store, when a big, corporate profit margin (which, in my case, has been profiting from me for 20 yrs).  Mom and Pop store, I'd pay for the bag.)

Why is it okay to deny a corporation its money? Would it be acceptable to not pay back a rich person after you'd accidentally stolen from her?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »

I don't think the store would watch her more carefully, rather they would be grateful and think more highly of her. I would just go to the service desk and explain the accident, not saying who the buyer or cashier was.

It doesn't matter if it is a large store or a small one, the item needs to be paid for to the place it came from. I feel I get the same service from Walmart as I do our local gift shop. I pay for what I get, and they in turn rightfully deserve the profit.

I won't cheat my huge insurance company any more than I would cheat the server at the local diner.

LeveeWoman was a little more succcint than I am!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:04:17 AM by Luci45 »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »
The problem is that the OP didn't "take it without paying for it", her roommate did and there is no reason for OP to put herself on the line by trying to make it right.  (They may be concerned that she is trying to cover up something dishonest, and start watching her with a suspicious eye).  I would not feed my dog the food and would go and buy a bag myself.  Let the roomie deal with it in some way.  I would get the same kind and refill the original bag with what I had used and tell the roommate, "Here, it's yours to deal with.", then forget about it. 
Incidentally, the clerk may well be held responsible for not checking the bottom of the basket and this spells trouble for the clerk in some stores. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

bonyk

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 11:22:12 AM »
This just happened to a friend of mine.  Although, in her case, she did not realize until she was home.  She called the manager and told him what happened, and that she would be mailing cash in an envelope.  He told her not to bother, but she insisted.

reflection5

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »
The problem is that the OP didn't "take it without paying for it", her roommate did and there is no reason for OP to put herself on the line by trying to make it right.

That's what I'm thinking.  Roommate should deal with it and make it right.  Whether she will or not remains to be seen.

Peregrine

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 11:39:44 AM »
Many store inventory systems are not set up in such a way as to accept payment after the fact.  Hence the manager telling another poster not to bother trying to send in a payment.  It may actually make it more difficult for the store/cashier/manager to deal with inventory and reports.

Going forward, I would say call the store if it was the day-of.  But after that, my experience has been that it causes more trouble for the stores for the customers to insist upon it.