General Etiquette > Life...in general

What would you do (roommate accidentally stole)? Update #53, Final Update #96

(1/21) > >>

ettiquit:
My roommate came home from the grocery store and told me that she "accidentally" stole the dog food that she got.  Apparently it was on the bottom of her cart, the store was busy, and even though she noticed it before she left the store, she decided to just leave anyway.

Now that I'm writing that out, I realized that she can't really get away with calling it an accident.

It surprised me that she did that, and it's really bothering me that I'm feeding my dogs with stolen food.

I was considering going to the store and explaining what happened and pay for it myself, though it would involve taking an already opened package with me. 

Should I just let this one go or try to make it right?

TurtleDove:
I would make it right.  My daughter once took a small doll that was in the checkout lane at Target. I didn't realize she had it until we were almost home and she confessed (she was 3 at the time).  I turned the car around and called her dad, who met us at the Target where she returned the doll personally and learned a lesson. 

LeveeWoman:

--- Quote from: ettiquit on April 28, 2013, 07:50:55 AM ---My roommate came home from the grocery store and told me that she "accidentally" stole the dog food that she got.  Apparently it was on the bottom of her cart, the store was busy, and even though she noticed it before she left the store, she decided to just leave anyway.

Now that I'm writing that out, I realized that she can't really get away with calling it an accident.

It surprised me that she did that, and it's really bothering me that I'm feeding my dogs with stolen food.

I was considering going to the store and explaining what happened and pay for it myself, though it would involve taking an already opened package with me. 

Should I just let this one go or try to make it right?

--- End quote ---

I'd make it right by going to the store's manager. Part of me would be concerned that the  manager would think that I'd taken it instead of my roomie, but I'd still do the right thing.

MorgnsGrl:
What if, the next time you buy dog food, you ask them to charge you for two bags (but only take the one), explaining that on a previous visit your roommate didn't realize until afterward that she hadn't been charged for the bag under the cart? I'm pretty sure the cashier would just ring the bag in twice and take your money without much comment.

LeveeWoman:

--- Quote from: MorgnsGrl on April 28, 2013, 08:50:27 AM ---What if, the next time you buy dog food, you ask them to charge you for two bags (but only take the one), explaining that on a previous visit your roommate didn't realize until afterward that she hadn't been charged for the bag under the cart? I'm pretty sure the cashier would just ring the bag in twice and take your money without much comment.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't go to a cashier because she might not have the authority to do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version