Author Topic: First aid kits . . . what's in yours?  (Read 997 times)

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
Re: First aid kits . . . what's in yours?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 02:48:53 AM »
When my children were toddlers, I kept charcoal and syrup of ipecac in our first aid kit.  These are not items you want to use except on instruction from poison control or a doctor -- but you also don't want to have to run to the store for them in an emergency.  Ipecac does have an expiration date, as I recall.

We kept everything in a large (about 12x12) food storage container.  The top sealed very well, so that it was waterproof.

Waterlight

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 04:07:35 AM »
I have a small, lightweight first-aid kit designed to fit in a pouch only a little bit bigger than a 3x5 index card.  I take it with me when I go hiking.  In it is an assortment of bandages, gauze, and tape; antiseptic wipes, alcohol swabs, and antibiotic ointment; ibuprofen; moleskin, for blisters; safety pins; and splinter/tick remover forceps.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

oogyda

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
And for those that are getting older...  Add a pair of magnifying glasses to your first aid kit, if you are including sewing supplies.  My brother is a wilderness medic; he had an incident on a canoe trip and had a really hard time putting in the stitches because he didn't have reading glasses.  So now there is a pair in his first aid kit.

That is a great idea... I'm not so much on the older side, but things get fuzzy without my glasses. I should probably throw my BCGs in there as well. (BCGs = ugly, nearly indestructible glasses.)  http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2012/01/no-more-bcg-lovin.html Picture in this article. I am keeping mine until death do we part.

Does BCG mean the same thing in the AF as it did in the Navy?  That made me smile since I haven't heard the term in a long time.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
^
 ;D The Marines call them that too!

Included in my travel bag, In addition to the bandaids and neoporin, I keep ibuprofen, anti-itch cream, hemorrhoidal cream, anti-diarrhea tablets, anti-nausea wristbands, and medicated lip balm. During the summer, I also add sunscreen, aloe gel, and Solarcane.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
Yes it does oogyda  ;D. I have to dig mine out so I can take a picture for you guys. My supervisor visibly shuddered when he saw me wear them on the last deployment... They definitely work as advertised  >:D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

onikenbai

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »
Yes first aid kit stuff expires and yes it should be checked/replaced on a fairly regular basis, especially the stuff you keep in your car because it is subjected to temperature changes.  Those chemical cold packs that have the bubble of goo you pop into the surrounding sandy stuff can crystallize and become hard as rock over time, making it almost impossible to mix when you finally need it.  So even though you haven't used it, it still might need to be replaced. 

I'm required to keep a kit in my car by law for work.  In addition to the basic stuff you get in the pre-packaged kit, I've got an eye wash, a blanket, flares, reflective traffic cones, visi-vest, flashlight with batteries, small stash of snacks and water, tool kit, string, matches, and one very scary looking utility knife capable of chopping branches off a small tree.  Depending on the day, I also have a full-size fire extinguisher, but I don't like keeping that in my car when I don't have to.  I don't work in the wilderness, but I do get out in the proverbial middle of nowhere and I have to be prepared to slide off the road in Canadian winter and not die overnight.  My car has become the family joke as people randomly name survival and safety gear to see if I have it in my car.  More than fair chance I do.

So far, the most useful stuff I've used the most of is that stretchy bandage that sticks to itself only.  I've fixed up a few scraped doggie paws in addition to my own.  I'm allergic to the adhesives on regular Band-Aids, and not just a little redness allergic... I'm talking full out, it gets ugly.  I love 3M for inventing that stretchy stuff.

reddevil

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »
I've got the standard stuff, in my house, car, and office.  I also have a few small supplies in my purse. 

My kit also includes an inflatable cast for arm or leg (clumsy), four ace bandages (great for covering gauze pads and holding pads down to stop bleeding), a Swiss Army knife, granola bars and candies for blood sugar issues, tea lights just in case.

Oh, and a ton of superglue single use packages.  For wounds.  When you can't do stitches or butterflies. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »
I keep a pretty good kit in the house - but it's pretty specific to me and DP:
-bandaids that don't make DP's skin blister (adhesive allergy)
-Nitrile gloves
-Benadryl, Advil, zyrtec, asprin
-prescription muscle relaxers, anti-emetics (3 kinds!), narcotic pain pills (two strengths and two types), anti fungals and topical steroids, blood pressure and blood sugar pills, prescription cough medicine (narcotic and non narcotic)
-burn cream, stretchy gauze, stretch wrap, three kinds of tape, neosporin
-special supplies for ostomates
-baby wipes, zip-top black disposal bags, tie top opaque disposal bags
-scissors, tweezers, razor blade knife
-hard sugared and sugarless candy, long shelf life snacks, and several bottles of water
-medical legal paperwork in case of emergency, including med lists and medical condition lists

Believe it or not, 80% of this fits in my purse or DP's medium sized 'go bag' and travels with us everywhere.

Calistoga

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
My mother purchased me an actual paramedics first aid kit. It had your run of the mill gauze pads and butterfly band aids...

Then it has a suture kit and an actual plastic thing for intubating.

We mostly use the bandaids, so we've filled some of the pockets with extras.