Author Topic: Roadtrip (SE USA) Ideas?  (Read 1876 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Roadtrip (SE USA) Ideas?
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:49:15 AM »
DH and I are trying to plan a different type of vacation this year.  We usually fly to vacation location, spend 2wks, and then fly back. 

This year, he wants to take a roadtrip somewhere. (I'm game)  The kids want to go to Orlando.  So to combine both of those wants, I was thinking of planning a roadtrip from DC to Orlando, going down the SE side of the US. 

Ideas on where to go and what to see on the way to Orlando?  Favorite beach?  Favorite fun family activity?  Favorite museum? Historical location? (we love history)

Any help would be appreciated.  TIA!

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
Re: Roadtrip (SE USA) Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »
If you'll be near there, spending some time in the Jamestown/Williamsburg/Yorktown, Virginia historical area is fun! Williamsburg has shops and tours, Jamestown has a couple of museums (one traditional and some exhibits outside). I didn't go to Yorktown while I was there, because my aunt and uncle took me to Busch Gardens instead (which is also fun).

Vita brevis, ars longa

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:14:16 AM »
Love that area!  We actually do want to go back there but might make it it's own long weekend visit. We didn't have time for Yorktown the last time so that's going to be first on the list.  :)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »
Well its pretty obligatory IMO to stop at South of the Border (www.thesouthoftheborder.com). Its cheesy and its a quick stop, but its still whats done when driving down the east coast to Florida!  :)

I would also recommend, on your way back home buying one of those little lemon tree seedlings at a gas station. Sounds ridiculous I know, but honestly its fun to have home grown lemons (I had two last year in my living room) and the lemon blossoms smell so nice!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
Well its pretty obligatory IMO to stop at South of the Border (www.thesouthoftheborder.com). Its cheesy and its a quick stop, but its still whats done when driving down the east coast to Florida!  :)

I would also recommend, on your way back home buying one of those little lemon tree seedlings at a gas station. Sounds ridiculous I know, but honestly its fun to have home grown lemons (I had two last year in my living room) and the lemon blossoms smell so nice!

I am a hold-out. I've driven the I-95 corridor more times than I can count and have yet to stop by SoTB. Those Pedro signs are annoying!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »
OP, I lived in FL for many years. If you get off the main highways (75/95, etc.), you find some very interesting routes. A1A is one: http://byways.org/explore/byways/2477/

norrina

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »

I am a hold-out. I've driven the I-95 corridor more times than I can count and have yet to stop by SoTB. Those Pedro signs are annoying!

I've also not been to SoTB. I live in Charleston, SC, so it's only about 2.5 hours away, not to mention I drove right past every time I made the trip from Northern Virginia to Charleston when I was living in NoVa and in a long-distance-relationship with DF here in Charleston.

And I have to plug Charleston for a stop. We have Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie, both of which are of course very steeped in history. I actually recently created a long list of various things to see/do in this area because my family will be coming for a week later this summer, and I'm happy to share it with anyone that wants it.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
I have always wanted to stay in Savannah, GA.

SOTB, yeah the signs are annoying but kind of funny. Each one is different.  My DH and I stopped there during our kids' Spring Break 1981(they stayed with my Mom and Dad). DH and I went up in one of the towers, and when taking a picture, if ya stand in the right spot, it looks like you are wearing one of the giant sombreros   ;D

oogyda

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »
Charleston, SC.  Downtown.  Battery Park?  I forget what it's called.  Take the touristy carriage ride (historical informative) and walk through the old houses to peek into the gardens.  Awesome!

SOTB...you won't miss anything if you don't stop.

You'll love the Smithsonian...whatever bits you want to see.  The monuments/memorials are a must; Washington (you need reservations if they've opened it up yet),  Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson,Vietnam War, Korean War, WWII.  You get the picture.

Williamsburg/Jamestown are awesome.

Oh yeah, when you go across Lake Moultrie, look for "the hundred mile fish". It's a billboard with a fish on it that is 100 miles from the border.  They have one going either direction.  Okay, it's a stupid little landmark that's kindof a family joke. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »
I have always wanted to stay in Savannah, GA.

SOTB, yeah the signs are annoying but kind of funny. Each one is different.  My DH and I stopped there during our kids' Spring Break 1981(they stayed with my Mom and Dad). DH and I went up in one of the towers, and when taking a picture, if ya stand in the right spot, it looks like you are wearing one of the giant sombreros   ;D

Savannah is amazing! Parking is a big issue. I tend to park in the visitors center parking lot and walk from there. Wear comfy shoes! :-) And don't go near it on St. Patrick's Day. Way too many people.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 12:52:20 PM »

I've been to Williamsburg many times. Love it.

Now I have to go to Jamestown(e), because while doing family research I discovered that an ancestor lived there in 1608-09. That was a very exciting find!

Mikayla

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »
My vote is the lighthouse museum on St. Augustine.  http://www.staugustinelighthouse.com/

I love St. Augustine!  Also, there's a lighthouse museum on St. Simon's Island.  I detoured there once coming from Sarasota up to DC.  It's a pretty unique place.  And then of course there are the wild ponies and other wildlife on Chincoteague and Assoteague.  I'm not sure how much of a detour this is.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »
I've always wanted to visit Savannah but not sure what to do once there. Maybe visit a plantation?  My guys were pretty lukewarm about Savannah but I want it on the list.

Norrina, I'd love that list if you can share it.  Thanks!

Now I have to visit SOTB!!!  :D

St. Augustine is another place I'd like to visit though I don't know what's there, other than a beach.  I would love to visit a lighthouse!  Definitely going to look into that one. Thanks!

Jaxsue, wow...an ancestor.  That *is* interesting. 

Fort Sumter is on the list.  My boys (17 & 9) are really interested in anything Civil War related.

Thanks for the ideas.   Keep 'em coming.  I love it.  Thanks again! 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »

I've also not been to SoTB. I live in Charleston, SC, so it's only about 2.5 hours away, not to mention I drove right past every time I made the trip from Northern Virginia to Charleston when I was living in NoVa and in a long-distance-relationship with DF here in Charleston.

And I have to plug Charleston for a stop. We have Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie, both of which are of course very steeped in history. I actually recently created a long list of various things to see/do in this area because my family will be coming for a week later this summer, and I'm happy to share it with anyone that wants it.

Hey, neighbor! I'm a Charleston gal too!

And Norinna is right. Charleston is such a beautiful place with historic houses and gardens. I recently visited the tea plantation and found it to be fun and fascinating! It's the only tea plantation in the US. They provide the tea for Firefly Vodka---which just happens to be made a couple of miles from the plantation (another fun place to visit. $6 gets you into the tasting room  ;D )

And since you said you love history, well, Charleston is where the civil war began. It's a history buff's dream!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
Charleston, SC.  Downtown.  Battery Park?  I forget what it's called.  Take the touristy carriage ride (historical informative) and walk through the old houses to peek into the gardens.  Awesome!

SOTB...you won't miss anything if you don't stop.

You'll love the Smithsonian...whatever bits you want to see.  The monuments/memorials are a must; Washington (you need reservations if they've opened it up yet),  Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson,Vietnam War, Korean War, WWII.  You get the picture.

Oh yeah, when you go across Lake Moultrie, look for "the hundred mile fish". It's a billboard with a fish on it that is 100 miles from the border.  They have one going either direction.  Okay, it's a stupid little landmark that's kindof a family joke.

Locally we call it The Battery but it's officially Whitepoint Gardens.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!