Author Topic: Roadtrip (SE USA) Ideas?  (Read 1602 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Roadtrip (SE USA) Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
My vote is the lighthouse museum on St. Augustine.  http://www.staugustinelighthouse.com/

I love St. Augustine!  Also, there's a lighthouse museum on St. Simon's Island.  I detoured there once coming from Sarasota up to DC.  It's a pretty unique place.  And then of course there are the wild ponies and other wildlife on Chincoteague and Assoteague.  I'm not sure how much of a detour this is.

I know I keep jumping in and I apologize! I agree, St. Augustine is a must. It's amazing. And ditto for St. Simon's Island. So much history and natural beauty.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »

Jaxsue, wow...an ancestor.  That *is* interesting.

Yeah, when I fist saw the info I thought, "No way!" But, as Wayne and Garth on SNL said: Way! :) He sailed over on a supply ship and was a member of The London Company. Imagine seeing our country at that point in time!

Library Dragon

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
If you can work in a trip to the western coast of Florida try to go to Homossa Springs or Crystal River http://www.homosassasprings.org/Homosassa.cfm to see the manatees please do it. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

rain

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
If you'll be near there, spending some time in the Jamestown/Williamsburg/Yorktown, Virginia historical area is fun! Williamsburg has shops and tours, Jamestown has a couple of museums (one traditional and some exhibits outside). I didn't go to Yorktown while I was there, because my aunt and uncle took me to Busch Gardens instead (which is also fun).

POD to cabbagegirl

IF you can avoid the busy time in the tunnel - Nags Head is great - there's Kitty Hawk, botanical gardens, great sea food places,
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

norrina

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »
I was going to send a PM with my list of suggestions for Charleston, SC, but then I thought others may be interested in it too. I've created a spinoff thread, http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=127185.0.

Autumn Rose

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 01:59:57 PM »
My family and I went to Georgia last year on a mini vacation.    What a great state!
If you are taking I-95 down to Orlando - when you leave you could take I-75N.

If you like nature - check out Providence Canyon in Georgia.   AMAZING!    They call it the "Little Grand Canyon" for good reason.
Here is a link:    http://gastateparks.org/ProvidenceCanyon

We also went white water rafting on the Ocoee River.  This is the river they used for the Olympics...alot of fun!

Enjoy your trip!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS!...will put Little Grand Canyon on the list, for sure!  Thank you. 

StarFaerie

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 05:29:18 AM »
Well its pretty obligatory IMO to stop at South of the Border (www.thesouthoftheborder.com). Its cheesy and its a quick stop, but its still whats done when driving down the east coast to Florida!  :)

I would also recommend, on your way back home buying one of those little lemon tree seedlings at a gas station. Sounds ridiculous I know, but honestly its fun to have home grown lemons (I had two last year in my living room) and the lemon blossoms smell so nice!

I am a hold-out. I've driven the I-95 corridor more times than I can count and have yet to stop by SoTB. Those Pedro signs are annoying!

I've also not been to SoTB. I live in Charleston, SC, so it's only about 2.5 hours away, not to mention I drove right past every time I made the trip from Northern Virginia to Charleston when I was living in NoVa and in a long-distance-relationship with DF here in Charleston.

And I have to plug Charleston for a stop. We have Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie, both of which are of course very steeped in history. I actually recently created a long list of various things to see/do in this area because my family will be coming for a week later this summer, and I'm happy to share it with anyone that wants it.

Sorry just saw your other post. Scratch that :D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »
My only experience with I95 was on Friday afternoon, between DC and Fredericksburg.  Apparently it takes around 45 minutes if there's no traffic; it took us four hours.  It also convinced me I never want to live here  :)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
Having grown up in Jacksonville, I POD a lot of stuff above - St. Simons (beautiful!) and also Big/Little Talbot Islands, Fernandina Beach (much prettier than Daytona or Jacksonville beaches, all of them).  St. Augustine - take a night, and do the ghost tours. They are AWESOME. Ripley's is great for most kids - the Castillo de St. Marcos is gorgeous, and great for letting the kids run off some energy and don't miss out on some of the touristy stuff (the old jail, the old schoolhouse). If you go to Scarlet O'Hara's restaurant in the old quarter, the food is amazing, and more ghost-y goodness can be found there (my dad wrote a song for the ghost there, in fact!).

Savannah is great with older kids - lots of history. Incidentally, it's the home of the founder of the Girl Scouts (Juliette Gordon Lowe) and is a really interesting place to visit for that alone - the museum is REALLY cool.

Orlando is overrated, unless you are doing one of the parks - WDW, Sea World, Universal. It's just hot, crowded, and full of tourists. You'll have MUCH more fun elsewhere for the bulk of your time. The parks are great, if pricy, but having spent many, many days down there, it's just really not that much fun unless you are at the parks, or a heavy drinker.

Hope the trip is lovely - it sounds like what we used to do with DD. Such memories!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »
If you can work in a trip to the western coast of Florida try to go to Homossa Springs or Crystal River http://www.homosassasprings.org/Homosassa.cfm to see the manatees please do it.

My son swam with manatees there. They're awesome creatures!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 12:37:55 PM »
Having grown up in Jacksonville, I POD a lot of stuff above - St. Simons (beautiful!) and also Big/Little Talbot Islands, Fernandina Beach (much prettier than Daytona or Jacksonville beaches, all of them).  St. Augustine - take a night, and do the ghost tours. They are AWESOME. Ripley's is great for most kids - the Castillo de St. Marcos is gorgeous, and great for letting the kids run off some energy and don't miss out on some of the touristy stuff (the old jail, the old schoolhouse). If you go to Scarlet O'Hara's restaurant in the old quarter, the food is amazing, and more ghost-y goodness can be found there (my dad wrote a song for the ghost there, in fact!).

Savannah is great with older kids - lots of history. Incidentally, it's the home of the founder of the Girl Scouts (Juliette Gordon Lowe) and is a really interesting place to visit for that alone - the museum is REALLY cool.

Orlando is overrated, unless you are doing one of the parks - WDW, Sea World, Universal. It's just hot, crowded, and full of tourists. You'll have MUCH more fun elsewhere for the bulk of your time. The parks are great, if pricy, but having spent many, many days down there, it's just really not that much fun unless you are at the parks, or a heavy drinker.

Hope the trip is lovely - it sounds like what we used to do with DD. Such memories!

Hey, Jax native! I lived there for 22 yrs (my X was a native), and I second your recommendations.

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
If you don't mind getting off I-95 at I-74/US 74 in North Carolina, try Wilmington.  It is a port town with Orton Plantation  in the area, plenty of sights and very historic.  If your kids like military stuff, the USS North Carolina is docked there and is open for tours.
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
Fort Sumter is on the list.  My boys (17 & 9) are really interested in anything Civil War related.

Petersburg/Richmond Battlefield Park/Fredricksburg.  There's a fabulous Civil War guidebook that was written by Michael? Shaara that gives tours of all the major battlefields and a history of what happened.    (As an aside, if they love Civil War stuff...Antietam is FABULOUS.  IMO better than Gettysburg.)