General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Plugging in your cell phone

(1/9) > >>

Only me:
Hi

Was out to dinner with a friend last night. We were celebrating her moving out of my place and staying at her own. :)

We had finally gotten a seat and had been served our food. We had been seated right behind the Hostess station, were actually seated about 3 ft from it at the front entrance. As we were talking a lady came up and squeezed between my friend seat and the Hostess podium. I think she said excuse me to my friends as she looked up at our "frozen in headlights look" and then explained she was just plugging in her phone. The electrical outlet was right beside us and when she bent down to plug she came 5 inches from my friends face. Said sorry and left.

Now this was not a fast food restaurant, nor a $100 dinner but still an upscale bistro. Rude or no? I would be interested in people's thoughts. My friend and I had a good laugh, especially after I told her that I was going to post this. :)

Onlyme

JoW:

--- Quote from: Only me on April 28, 2013, 11:58:29 AM ---...... just plugging in her phone. The electrical outlet was right beside us and when she bent down to plug she came 5 inches from my friends face. Said sorry and left......   
--- End quote ---
Sounds like a good way to get her phone stolen.  You are honest but others may not be.

In my opinion the only people who should be using a phone during dinner out are people who are on call for something.  And those people should be eating at a fast-food place where they can leave instantly when they are called.  Phones should be charged at home or in your office.  The exception being if the power is out at home. 

reflection5:
I think she was rude, and I'm surprised the restaurant allowed it.

Recharging your cell at a friend/relative's home with their permission is okay.  I've never done it, but people have used my juice (after asking) and I remember walking into a friend's house and seeing several phones plugged up to different outlets.

But at a restaurant, and interrupting other patrons?  Nah.

Twik:
Now, I know that to many people, having cell phone access is at about the same level of necessity as breathing. But still, you don't get in someone else's face for *anything*, without at least an "excuse me". In this case, it should have been "Excuse me, I really need to charge my phone. Would you mind terribly if I leaned over for a moment to reach that outlet? Thank you so much."

Luci:
She interupted you and put her rear in a diner's face? Beyond rude into downright offensive!

The charging the phone is not the issue right now, although that should only be done with permission. She probably had permission as shown by her knowing where the outlet is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version