Author Topic: Plugging in your cell phone  (Read 5102 times)

Only me

Plugging in your cell phone
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »
Hi

Was out to dinner with a friend last night. We were celebrating her moving out of my place and staying at her own. :)

We had finally gotten a seat and had been served our food. We had been seated right behind the Hostess station, were actually seated about 3 ft from it at the front entrance. As we were talking a lady came up and squeezed between my friend seat and the Hostess podium. I think she said excuse me to my friends as she looked up at our "frozen in headlights look" and then explained she was just plugging in her phone. The electrical outlet was right beside us and when she bent down to plug she came 5 inches from my friends face. Said sorry and left.

Now this was not a fast food restaurant, nor a $100 dinner but still an upscale bistro. Rude or no? I would be interested in people's thoughts. My friend and I had a good laugh, especially after I told her that I was going to post this. :)

Onlyme

JoW

Re: Plugging in your cell phone
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »
...... just plugging in her phone. The electrical outlet was right beside us and when she bent down to plug she came 5 inches from my friends face. Said sorry and left......   
Sounds like a good way to get her phone stolen.  You are honest but others may not be.

In my opinion the only people who should be using a phone during dinner out are people who are on call for something.  And those people should be eating at a fast-food place where they can leave instantly when they are called.  Phones should be charged at home or in your office.  The exception being if the power is out at home. 

reflection5

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »
I think she was rude, and I'm surprised the restaurant allowed it.

Recharging your cell at a friend/relative's home with their permission is okay.  I've never done it, but people have used my juice (after asking) and I remember walking into a friend's house and seeing several phones plugged up to different outlets.

But at a restaurant, and interrupting other patrons?  Nah.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »
Now, I know that to many people, having cell phone access is at about the same level of necessity as breathing. But still, you don't get in someone else's face for *anything*, without at least an "excuse me". In this case, it should have been "Excuse me, I really need to charge my phone. Would you mind terribly if I leaned over for a moment to reach that outlet? Thank you so much."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »
She interupted you and put her rear in a diner's face? Beyond rude into downright offensive!

The charging the phone is not the issue right now, although that should only be done with permission. She probably had permission as shown by her knowing where the outlet is.

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »
I think she was rude to not excuse herself before pushing in so close to you, rather then waiting until after she was done when she couldn't ignore your presence anymore.  I also think it is really weird to charge a cell at a nicer restaurant, but perhaps that's just because I've never seen it done before?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »
There are a few "internet cafes" - like Starbucks, where a plug for your electronics is an option (not a lot of them - but some) - and the prices reflect the probability that people are there for juice and "juice" - as well as more than the thirty minutes to absorb calories.

But unless it is advertised as that kind of café.....NO WAY, Jose!  (or Josephina)!  Sheesh - I'd have unplugged it and handed it to her under the guise of being afraid of tripping over the wire and breaking her cell phone.....or the charger.

I do go to an internet café once in a while - but usually don't plug anything in - it is an available option at Panera, Starbucks, and a few other places - but, I'd rather have my electronics plugged in to the car power outlet/converter while I'm driving or wait until I get to a hotel, if I'm traveling!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

reflection5

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
She probably had permission as shown by her knowing where the outlet is.

Could be she asked and the hostess was caught off-guard and thought “what the heck” and said it was okay.

I’m guessing that as soon as she walked in she looked around to spot where the outlets were, and saw one.

I’m thinking of the houses I visit most often.  I could not say right now where the outlets are – because I’ve never looked for them.

delabela

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »
It's imperative that I have access to my phone during my work day, so there have been situations where I have plugged it in places that were not my home or office. However, I would not do so in a restaurant unless there happened to be an outlet right at my table and it was unobtrusive. So pretty unlikely.

MrTango

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »

I don't think there's any need to question it: Cell phone lady was rude.

As for the bolded, a restaurant allowing it isn't at all surprising to me.  Many restaurants offer free Wi-Fi (wireless internet access), and I've had many occasions to ask for a table with a power outlet nearby so that I can use my laptop while there. 

reflection5

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »

As for the bolded, a restaurant allowing it isn't at all surprising to me.  Many restaurants offer free Wi-Fi (wireless internet access), and I've had many occasions to ask for a table with a power outlet nearby so that I can use my laptop while there.

By that I mean if the phone charger cord was at all in anyone’s way or in a spot where someone could trip over it, or (phone) could fall off something or get stolen.  We can’t see what the actual physical arrangement was.  (I’m assuming there was no outlet near cell phone lady’s table, so she had to intrude on the space of other diners.)

MrTango

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »

By that I mean if the phone charger cord was at all in anyone’s way or in a spot where someone could trip over it, or (phone) could fall off something or get stolen.  We can’t see what the actual physical arrangement was.  (I’m assuming there was no outlet near cell phone lady’s table, so she had to intrude on the space of other diners.)

Ahh, I see what you're saying.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn the person didn't bother to ask permission.

lellah

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
[quote author=JoW link=topic=127177.msg2933785#msg2933785 date=1367165416

In my opinion the only people who should be using a phone during dinner out are people who are on call for something.  And those people should be eating at a fast-food place where they can leave instantly when they are called.  Phones should be charged at home or in your office.  The exception being if the power is out at home.
[/quote]

I think this is a bit harsh.  A number of people---including my mom, who is the only doctor in a small, remote town---are on call 24/7.  Consigning them to a life of McDonalds is unnecessary.  It seems like mannered people could readily put their phones on silent, excuse themselves from their dining companions upon feeling its vibration, and take calls in a foyer.   

In response to the poster, I think the woman plugging in her phone was certainly graceless. Of course she should've said excuse me or explained to your companion that she needed to plug her phone in for urgent reasons.

But, as is so often the case, stewing about this is isn't a benefit to anyone.  For all we know, she had an old cell phone that didn't hold a charge and a relative in intensive care at a nearby hospital.  I imagine we'd all be happier people if we were better able to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Only me

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »
Hi

So just for some clarification. I believe the bistro has free wifi cause I was there the other day with another friend. She got the free wifi on her ipad.

As for the cell phone, it was out of the way on a ledge. The plug was just by the fire place in the front entrance and the table she was sitting at had no outlet near it.

Onlyme

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 11:13:41 PM »
When you get close enough to someone that you are in their personal space you should excuse yourself.

But the fact she was doing it to plug in a phone seems irrelevant. That is between her and the restaurant. If the management doesn't mind I don't see how it could possibly be anyone else's business or should bother them.