Author Topic: Issue at work today (closing time)..need advice (UPDATE p2)  (Read 5515 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Issue at work today (closing time)..need advice
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
I think I'd talk with the bank manager and ask the preference for dealing with customers trying to enter after closing. Since your co-workers agreed with the customer, you might have used a tone you didn't mean to use.

I remember banks having a person (usually security) who'd lock the doors at closing time and then stand at the entrance to let out customers. If someone tried to enter after hours, that person would tell them it was after hours and they'd need to return a different day. Maybe suggest a similar approach to your supervisor.

I do think yelling through a door to a customer is unprofessional.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »
Hi guys,

She came at 203 and the doors were locked because it was 2. She stood at the door about 10 minutes and a customer leaving prompted her to come in and she said she was allowed to be in after close because she called ahead of time. I told her to take a seat and wait for The banker. Another lady tried to open the door and I told her we closed at 2-I said it loudly from my spot on the line because I was trying to put my stuff away and balance. The lady gave me a look and gesture (hard to describe) like I was not telling her the truth, so I said "the hours changed in January".

Well that started World War 3. My coworkers yelled at me for being rude and the lady who forced her way in told the banker I was the "rudest person that has ever worked there". I'm so mad at my coworkers, I'm willing to say that I should have gone to the door and talked to her instead of through the door, but I really don't think what I said was rude, and also I think that letting people into a bank after we close is not safe. Thanks for your advice

This whole incident was handled badly.  How did a customer leaving at 2:13 let another customer in?  I am thinking bank security needs to be handled better. 

If all your co-workers and the customer said you were rude, there might be a little truth there, maybe your tone does need to be a little softer. 

This location may need a refresher on security and customer service and how to handle problems.   

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
I said it loudly from my spot on the line because I was trying to put my stuff away and balance.

When you get interrupted like that, it's necessary to give short answers in order not to lose count in the middle of counting up a bunch of dimes and have to start over.

"Oh....are you still open?"
"No, sorry" (30, 40, 50, 60.....)
"Oh!! You close at 5:30?"
"Yes." (....70, 80, 90, 1....)
"But I really need to send a registered letter...."

(sigh....start over.....10, 20, 30, 40.....)

And so it goes.  I would like to universally bust the illusion that some people are under that says that just because you can see people in there, doesn't mean they are open for business. Locked doors and closed signs generally mean you'll have to come back another time.

It is sad that the Post Office can't extend hours when they see multiple customers need them to be open later.

BarensMom

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »
Allowing a customer to come into the bank after it has closed and the tellers are counting their tills is an obvious breach of security.  There should have been a security guard to prevent that first customer from entering.  I don't think the OP was rude for calling out to the second customer, but I think it was unnecessary.  Presumably the customer could read the sign and see the operating hours.

OP, ask your coworkers what if it had turned out that the person who forced/tricked their way in or if the second person came to rob the place?  Closing is often a prime time for bank robbers.  Would you be rude, then? 

But my real question here is where was the security guard and why wasn't he doing his job?

reflection5

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
I still say OP should not have told the woman to come in and have a seat.  By then it was way after 2:00 (closing time).  And yes, there should have been a security guard at the door to let people out and prevent anyone from entering.  Then there would be no need for anyone inside to say anything.

I also think that all-too-often people have the “it’s just a few minutes” mindset and this is used an excuse to inconvenience others.  A few minutes is rarely a few minutes.  People often think if they smile or plead "only a few minutes" that others should automatically accomodate them.

The closest branch of my bank closes at 4:00.  I rarely go inside the bank.  The most recent time that I did, I called (it was about 3:30) to confirm closing time.  When I was told they close at 4:00, I decided to go in the next day.  To me, that’s preferable to rushing, getting my papers/items together, etc.  Then there’s traffic, possible road construction, school busses.  I would never call at 3:50 and try to get there before 4:00.  Arriving after 4:00 - even at 4:01 - and expecting to be let in would be out of the question.

ILoveMyCello

Re: Issue at work today (closing time)..need advice UPDATE
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 04:07:16 PM »
Just wanted to update my thread. First, I apologize for the typo I made yesterday. I was typing on my phone and pretty upset, so I used my computer and edited the new post. My coworker was the one who let the girl in, not me (hence why I was pretty mad). There are two doors, a door to get into the ATM foyer (open all the time) and one to get into the bank. The hours are posted on the first door, but not the second.

Anyway, I ended up texting my boss to ask her if we could have a conversation on Tuesday about what happened, and she just called me so we had a conversation about it. She agreed with me 100 percent. Banks should not stay open past closing-bank robbers study patterns and habits of a bank and thats how they figure out when the best time to rob it is. She was pretty mad that my coworkers didn't stick up for me, but we agreed not to tell them about our conversation unless it became an issue. Since I work all Sundays, she suggested to me that since we don't have a security guard, have one of the two tellers that is working close a little early and act as a doorman of sorts, standing by the door to make sure nobody gets in. She was also going to call the lady that forced her way in and explain that it's a security breach to come that close to closing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:07:32 PM by ILoveMyCello »

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Issue at work today (closing time)..need advice UPDATE
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
Just wanted to update my thread. First, I apologize for the typo I made yesterday. I was typing on my phone and pretty upset, so I used my computer and edited the new post. My coworker was the one who let the girl in, not me (hence why I was pretty mad). There are two doors, a door to get into the ATM foyer (open all the time) and one to get into the bank. The hours are posted on the first door, but not the second.

Anyway, I ended up texting my boss to ask her if we could have a conversation on Tuesday about what happened, and she just called me so we had a conversation about it. She agreed with me 100 percent. Banks should not stay open past closing-bank robbers study patterns and habits of a bank and thats how they figure out when the best time to rob it is. She was pretty mad that my coworkers didn't stick up for me, but we agreed not to tell them about our conversation unless it became an issue. Since I work all Sundays, she suggested to me that since we don't have a security guard, have one of the two tellers that is working close a little early and act as a doorman of sorts, standing by the door to make sure nobody gets in or out. She was also going to call the lady that forced her way in and explain that it's a security breach to come that close to closing.

Really? Not going to let anyone out? I don't know if the customers will be very happy spending the night in there... ;D

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

ILoveMyCello

Re: Issue at work today (closing time)..need advice (UPDATE p2)
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
Haha sorry! Was rushing to class. Corrected :-)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 05:12:23 PM »
But my real question here is where was the security guard and why wasn't he doing his job?

I haven't seen a security guard in a bank for twenty year.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

MyFamily

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »

My bank has a security guard.  He's a very nice person, but I've seen him get real mean and tough very fast when someone kept trying to give my kid candy and wouldn't accept me saying no.  I'd hate to see him if there was a real threat in the bank.

As far as this situation, your words weren't rude, but I wonder if there was something in your tone that made everyone react the way they did.  The other thing it could have been was who was the first to call you rude - coworkers or the person who came in late - if she was the one who started it, your coworkers could have felt they had to agree with her because you don't want to upset the customer.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

BarensMom

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »

Really?  I don't remember ever being inside a bank w/o a security guard present.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »

My bank has a security guard.  Very nice too

Minmom3

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »

Wow!  I have NEVER been to a bank with out a guard.  He might be discrete about his presence (and I don't think I've ever seen a female guard at a bank) but they are ALWAYS there, even in the little local branches.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

reflection5

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »
Larger banks downtown have security guards, but the branch bank near me doesn't.  Strange, because it seems branch banks (usually remotely related) are often the ones that get robbed.  Bank branches located inside grocery stores don't usually have security giards, but the store itself does.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 11:12:41 PM »
Even if the co-workers genuinely thought the OP was rude, they were still wrong to chastise her in public, in the presence of customers. The correct thing for them to do was to address it with her later, in private.