Author Topic: WWYD? When the wrong job gives you an offer :P  (Read 1500 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: WWYD? When the wrong job gives you an offer :P
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
VorGuy is a teacher.  My mother was a teacher from when I was in first grade until I was in seventh grade - when she started working on a new career field to get a full time job (small schools mostly hired her part time - not enough pay for the job to balance the commute and to add to the family budget with four growing kids). 

I know that for every hour in the class room, a teacher spends more time on planning, grading, paperwork, and (depending on the subject) even more time on fund raising, accounting for funds, booster club meeting with the parents, and setting up plans for competitions on weekends.  Summer camp (in VorGuy's subject) adds to that during a time of year when most teachers are doing planning, catching up on paperwork, and staying indoors in the A/C (Houston summers can be hot - as in human body temperature or close to it much of the time).  A teacher running a summer camp will be spending a lot of time outside, with an early start time before it gets too hot AND setting up water & supplies to keep the kids from overheating & a place out of the sun to cool off, as needed.

My suggestion would be to find a place to rent in the area of the school, then stay there two or even five nights a week.  Go home Friday and drive back either late Sunday or early Monday for classes.  You'd be able to devote more of your time at home to your family if you can keep the grading, planning, and the like at your office or the room you're renting closer to work.

Dad drove an hour to work for a while - he left before dawn half the year and got home at dusk that same half the year.  Mom was driving half that distance (but on a different schedule) so for a year, we kids (14, 13, 11, and 9) were watching each other after school - this was 1971-1972 school year, so long before cell phones.  Once our parents left school (Mom finished her new degree & went to work at the college for a research project) or work - they didn't have a chance to talk to us again until they drove up to the house & parked.   They were also exhausted most of that year - the next location we lived was fifteen minutes from Dad's work and about 25 from Mom's - they were a lot less exhausted at the end of each day, even though the jobs didn't change, their commutes being cut by more than half helped a lot. 

You might be able to decompress while driving - but it is still WORK to drive that far.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 07:30:05 PM »
Go and see.  If it turns out that you hate the area or don't click with the school, then it's a done proposition, but you should see what's there.  If worse comes to worst you can always use your salary to hire someone to keep the kids on schedule, and that'll leave you where you are financially while advancing your career and your ultimate employability.  It's a really long commute but many families have dealt with worse for their long term goals, so it's worth a single visit to get the skinny on it.

Virg

You might also be able to lodge with someone during the week. and you can drive home some nights, and for others, you'll have a place to stay.

Just be sure to put the dishes away as soon as you've washed them.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 12:55:46 AM »
I would definitely at least do an interview.  Bad commute aside, you would be finishing your degree.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 02:15:52 AM »
I spent last summer commuting to another city. I flew out Monday morning and back Friday afternoon so I spent 3 nights at home. It was an excellent opportunity for me and my husband took over the care and feeding of ourvthrer year old. It let me focus entirely on the job during the week and entirely on my family on the weekend. I missed my kid but it also helped her and her dad develops their own relationship. For me it was worth it but it was an excellent job.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:04:02 PM by Deetee »

katycoo

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 03:02:10 AM »
I commute over an hour and a half each way to work.  I'd do it.