Author Topic: S/O Roadtip Ideas - eHell Travel Guide  (Read 1092 times)

norrina

S/O Roadtip Ideas - eHell Travel Guide
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »
Roe's request for suggestions of things to do/places to go specifically in the southeastern United States got me to thinking that it MIT be cool if we had a thread where all of our eHellions could post suggestions for their hometown. An international eHell travel guide! I'm a little concerned that if the thread gets long enough it might start to be difficult to find suggestions for any one specific area, but I'm hopeful that a keyword search for a specific city/state/country/etc. within the thread could still be helpful.

I'll start. My list is long, because I just spent a significant amount of time compiling it in preparation for a one-week family reunion.

Things to do in Charleston, SC
(I haven't actually personally visited all of these suggestions, so if something turns out to be a bust, please don't hold me too accountable!)

History & Museums

Plantations
  • Drayton Hall Plantation. This claims to be America's oldest plantation house open to the public. In the W. Ashley area of Charleston, about 30 minutes from downtown. http://www.draytonhall.org/
  • Magnolia Plantation. Claiming to be America's oldest public gardens. On the same road as Drayton Hall, a little over 1.5 miles further out of town. http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/
  • Middleton Place Plantation. This claims to be home to America's Oldest Landscaped Gardens, 65 acres of them. It is in the same neighborhood as Drayton Hall and Magnolia Plantation, just under 6 miles further down the same road. https://www.middletonplace.org/
  • Charleston Tea Plantation. Credit to SamiHami for the suggestion. America's only tea garden. On Wadmalaw Island, about 35 minutes from downtown. http://www.charlestonteaplantation.com/Default.aspx
Nature

Experience the City (things to do downtown)

Shopping
  • Shopping on King. In downtown Charleston. Everything from high end clothing retailers to pizzarias to antique shops. Ends at the courthouse on Broad Street.
  • Tanger Outlets. In North Charleston, about 20 minutes from downtown. Close to (if not more than) 80 shops to choose from. AAA and AARP member discounts. http://www.tangeroutlet.com/charleston

Misc.
  • Firefly Vodka Factory. Credit to SamiHami for the suggestion. Vodka, vodka, and a little more vodka. 'Nuf said! On Wadmalaw Island, about 40-45 minutes from downtown. http://fireflyvodka.com/index.cfm#!/home.cfm
  • Spoleto Festival. Credit to SamiHami for the suggestion. 17 days and nights of over 150 opera, classical music, jazz, dance, and theater performances. Held annually in late spring, the 2013 dates are May 24 - June 9. http://spoletousa.org/home/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:54:06 PM by norrina »

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: S/O Roadtip Ideas - eHell Travel Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
And don't forget the two I mentioned in the other thread:

Charleston Tea Plantation
Firefly Vodka Factory

Also, depending upon time of year, there is the Spoleto Festival.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

norrina

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
And don't forget the two I mentioned in the other thread:

Charleston Tea Plantation
Firefly Vodka Factory

Also, depending upon time of year, there is the Spoleto Festival.

Right! I updated my OP, to have all the Charleston stuff in one post for easiest reference, and credited the suggestions to you.

SheltieMom

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:21:07 AM »
I'm in Fort Worth, TX, and there are lots of things to do here.

The Fort Worth Stockyards, and the longhorn cattle drive.

Six Flags Over Texas--the original

Depending on the season, the Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, Stars, and my personal favorite, The Dallas Sidekicks (indoor soccer)

The Fort Worth Zoo is a must. It's rated one of the top 5 zoos in the country.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Stanwyck

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »
Chicago is a great place to visit.

World-class museums (including but not limited to):
Field Museum (has "Sue" the most complete T Rex skeleton) Museum of Science and Industry (German U-Boat! coal mine!), Art Institute (2nd largest art museum in the US), Adler Planetarium (oldest planetarium in the US), Shedd Aquarium (beautiful location on the lake), Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago History Museum, Museum of Broadcast Communications...
The Field, Shedd and Planetarium are all part of the "Museum Campus" and are within walking distance of each other.

Navy Pier - a bit touristy, but has the Chicago Children's Museum and the Ferris Wheel.

The observatory on top of the Hancock building has a better view (IMHO) then the top of the Sears Willis Tower; but the latter has the ledges (glass boxes that extend out from the side of the building). The former has a nice but pricey lounge on the 95th floor.

Chicago has some of the best architecture in the country. Take one of the boat tours on the Chicago River, or head out to nearby Oak Park, home to Frank Lloyd Wright.

The parks are first rate.  Millennium Park on Michigan Avenue (right next door to the Art Institute) is home to the "Bean".  Look for the statue of Lincoln in Grant Park and the statue of Grant in Lincoln Park. Buckingham Fountain is also in Grant Park.

The two zoos are Lincoln Park Zoo (in Lincoln Park) and Brookfield in the suburbs.

State Street and Michigan Ave. are the main shopping districts.  We also have fantastic restaurants.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »
Warsaw Indiana and surrounding areas:

*Warsaw Biblical Gardens

*First Fridays (this is a downtown thing)

*Central Park

*Village at Winona (quirky shops, unique places to eat, plus a walking trail to burn off the calories!)

*Mermaid Festival (mid-to-late June)

*Marshall County Blueberry Festival (Labor Day weekend in Plymouth)

*Old Jail Museum

*Shipshewana (this is two counties away; the flea market attracts quite a lot of people so the traffic situation can be a bear during those times)

*Fort Wayne (home of the Komets and TinCaps, also the Vera Bradley outlet sale, the Botanical Gardens, the Children's Zoo and the Casa restaurant chain)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
Little Rock:

*The Visitor's Center itself is in one of the oldest homes in town (ca 1843). 

*Central High School Historical Site (the desegregation crisis).  Fantastic museum across the street from the (still operating) school.

* Clinton Museum and Library (worth checking out whether you liked him or not)

*Big Dam Bridge over the river; walk or bike

*A very good art museum and the MacArthur Museum of Military History within walking distance of one another (Douglas MacArthur was born there)

*Riverfront-lots of shops, eats and the Museum of Discovery

*Close to town are Indian mounds and a plantation museum

*Hot Springs and much recreation is 1-2 hours away :)

Writing it all out, it is a nice place to live!