Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Hummus!

<< < (2/8) > >>

Nikko-chan:
Also: This is good!

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/

of course i used a bit of peanut butter instead of a bunch of tahini... but still.

SamiHami:

--- Quote from: MOM21SON on April 28, 2013, 09:34:06 PM ---I really think that you should look into a very small, like 2-3 processor for hummus.  small batches.  Then when you find what you like expand to a larger serving.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm really the only one who'll eat it so it'll always be small batches. I like to take it to work along with some dried veggies for lunch.

Betelnut:
I don't have a food processor.  Can I just use a hand-held mixer?  I LOVE hummus but have never done homemade.

Outdoor Girl:

--- Quote from: Betelnut on April 29, 2013, 03:25:43 PM ---I don't have a food processor.  Can I just use a hand-held mixer?  I LOVE hummus but have never done homemade.

--- End quote ---

Mixer or blender?  A hand-held blender would work.  It might come out a little chunky but it would work.  A mixer wouldn't, really, since the chick peas wouldn't get mashed.  A potato ricer might work.

WillyNilly:
I do, in the food processor:

1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1-2 tbsp tahini*
1-2 tbsp olive oil*
1-2 tbsp lemon juice*
1-2 tbsp water
1 tsp garlic powder*
1/2 tsp cumin*
1/4 fresh onion
pinch salt

That's the basic. To that I add any of the following (not all at once though!):
chipotles in adobo, fresh jalepeno, fresh bell pepper, 1 bulb roasted garlic (omit the garlic powder if using this), roasted red pepper, herbs, etc

Or for a fancy looking hummus, say for a party, I make the basic, then top with a dollop of one of the following made separately in the mini chop:
roasted red peppers, fresh basil, fresh lemony (an herb), sea salt and some olive oil
or
sundried tomato, fresh basil, fresh chives, sea salt and olive oil
or
(all fresh) rosemary, thyme, parsley and olive oil then in the mini chop then stir in some pine nuts

*I don't actually measure, I just eyeball the amounts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version