Author Topic: Hummus!  (Read 2461 times)

magician5

Re: Hummus!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 05:22:03 AM »
Don't rinse the drained chickpeas, and reserve the liquid - you'll need some of it to keep the mixture moving as it grinds in the processor, and to thin it to your taste.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

AvidReader

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »
Everyone ends up with a favorite recipe.  I have two tips for the preparation.  First, drain and rinse the can of chickpeas if you are using canned chickpeas.  It will get rid of the viscous liquid it is packed with.  Second....and this is time consuming....skin the chickpeas.  It will make for an exceptionally smooth hummus.  To skin them, pinch them lightly between your thumb and first two fingers until the skin slips off.  Discard the skins.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 11:07:08 AM »
Don't rinse the drained chickpeas, and reserve the liquid - you'll need some of it to keep the mixture moving as it grinds in the processor, and to thin it to your taste.

Draining and well rinsing canned beans can reduce the sodium levels by about 30% (even more if you soak them in fresh water then rinse).

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »
My tricks:

Use only a small amount of fresh garlic (i.e. one small clove)
Don't use canned chickpeas. I cook dried beans in my slow cooker and then can them in Classico spaghetti sauce jars. 1 bag chickpeas = ~ 5 jars
The days are long but the years are short.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
My recipe is not much different than the others but I prefer to use a food MILL instead of a processor.  The hummus is much, much creamier and less "grainy" than when made in the food processor.

If you don't know, food mill looks sort of like a sauce pan with a bunch of holes in the bottom, like a sieve or a steamer pot, and a crank in the middle.  The crank turns a blade which pushes the food through the holes and removes some of the more fibrous matter making a very smooth and creamy consistency.  Picture an oversized potato ricer with a crank.

eta I also like to either boil the garlic cloves briefly or roast them in a skillet a few minutes to soften the flavor a little.

magicdomino

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
I'm making notes on these recipes.  The one time I tried making hummus, it reminded me of gritty wallpaper paste.   :)

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else eat hummus with tortilla chips?  I used to hate hummus until a party where I tried it with Fritos.  Turns out, it's the pita bread that I don't like.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »
^^
I prefer to eat hummus with something crunchy. I like the difference in textures.  I like hummus with green chiles with regular Sun Chips.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »
I absolutely dip tortilla chips in hummus.  Also Triscuit crackers.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »
Interesting ideas. I think I will try making some on Friday (my day off). I already bought canned chick peas, so I will use those first. But I will try the slow cooker idea another time as well, just to see which I prefer. I will take the advice of soaking and peeling them first; that makes sense to me. I like it a little spicy so I think I might add a serrano pepper to the mix, as well. That just sounds good to me.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »

Draining and well rinsing canned beans can reduce the sodium levels by about 30% (even more if you soak them in fresh water then rinse).

That's why I drain and rinse mine and use water to smooth out the texture, rather than the liquid.  I can taste just about any added amount of salt these days.  I actually have to remember to add extra salt or seek out a salty snack in the summer when I'm sweating a lot.  Or pass out with low blood pressure.

I have an antique food sieve.  It is a conical shaped thing that will fit over a bowl and it has a wooden pestle that you use to push out the food.  I use it to make applesauce - I boil the apples with the skins on then use this thing to remove the skins.  I wonder if it would work with the canned chick peas to remove the skins?  I don't mind it a little chunkier, though, so I'm not sure I'll bother.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else eat hummus with tortilla chips?  I used to hate hummus until a party where I tried it with Fritos.  Turns out, it's the pita bread that I don't like.

I had a recipe for "cowboy" hummus from (I think) Vegetarian Times.  It was made with pinto beans & chili peppers and was served with tortilla chips.  A friend made it and said it was delicious.

This looks like it might be the same or a similar recipe

http://gsn.festfoods.com/Recipes/RecipeFull.aspx?RecipeID=41203&QuickSearch=99&PageNumber=2&Source=search

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »
^^ That is what we refer to as bean dip. I noticed the recipe calls for red kidney beans but I do make mine with pinto beans.

Ginger G

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »
My recipe is pretty much the same as others listed, but I thought I would add this idea I tried just this past weekend.  For some reason, I was convinced I had a can of chickpeas in my pantry but alas I must have used them already.  I didn't want to run to the store, so I found a can of white cannellini beans and used them instead.  It was actually really good, not quite the same but not bad at all!  I always use tahini in mine, a jar lasts awhile in the fridge and I like to use it in other ways in addition to hummus.

Betelnut

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »
Obviously, I need to get a food mill or blender.  I really want to make homemade hummus now.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »
Jedikaiti, your recipe sounds a lot like ours.  The main difference is that we add cumin because we like cumin.  We also often use canned white beans instead of the chick peas. 

A local shop carries a Brand of Lebanese tahina that keeps for months in the fridge and doesn't turn into cement if it's not used for a while. It's also nice and sweet while other brands tend to be bitter.    We don't have any in the house right now so I can't supply the brand. 

With gazpacho, hummus is a summer staple in our house because it doesn't need cooking. 

Yup, time to lay in the hummus supplies.