Author Topic: The Joys of a New Computer  (Read 467 times)

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
The Joys of a New Computer
« on: May 02, 2013, 01:31:16 AM »
I'm whining here, so this could have gone in 'I Need a Hug' but it is also 'Good News'

My old computer started randomly restarting itself.  Then it didn't always come back up.  Then it just started to turn itself off.  Now this started back in February.  I got it 'fixed' three times.  But, it always started up again so I got mad and ordered a new computer. 

I'm setting it up now.  I really love doing this (NOT!)

First you gotta get a repair disk (or something of the sort).  Then you gotta remove all of the junk that the manufacturer puts on for your 'convince'.  In between you have to get connected to your network, get drivers for your printer, get the stupid desktop reconfigured, etc, etc.  Then you get to load/install all of your applications.  Fun.

For weeks I'll be stumbling over things that I will have forgotten to change or set.  I won't be able to install some apps because I didn't uninstall them from the old computer.  It's really difficult to uninstall something from a computer that I can't get to power up.  So, I'll have to call Customer Support (which I really don't like to do).

On the other hand, I have a new computer.  It should be faster, smarter, and able to leap tall buildings!  I'm even going to use the new keyboard, which has some funny looking keys (the 'B' key is a lowercase 'b' in a red circle.  I have no idea.) in some weird places.  It's still Windows 7, so that's good.  Even the (old) monitor looks nicer!

I've got a gargantuan hard drive, lots of USB holes, 2 DVD drives, and it's pretty!

So, what do you all think - is getting a new computer a good thing or a painful experience?  Or both!

Please pass the Calgon

Re: The Joys of a New Computer
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:01:42 AM »
Definitely both  :D
Congrats on the new toy!!

Ereine

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:31:29 AM »
I got a new computer in January and while it's been a joy (I was using a laptop for applications that really require a large monitor and plenty of memory, for freelance work) it's also been a literal pain. My old office chair died some time ago and as I couldn't afford a decent one I just used a random chair which worked well enough with the laptop. The new monitor is so much larger that the chair was too low for it so I had to sit in a bad position and got a back ache. I still couldn't afford a good chair (the new computer took all my savings) so my father loaned me an expensive ergonomic chair he wasn't using. The chair is great, except now my desk is too low even when the chair is in the lowest position and the back ache is back if I use it for more than a few hours. My desk isn't too great anyway so I think that when I hopefully get some more money soon I'll buy a desk with adjustable legs from Ikea, it's still cheaper than a decent chair. I didn't imagine that it would be this complicated :)

squeakers

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
I just factory reset my pc because I had picked up some malware I just couldn't get rid of (tried various removers and none got rid of everything). 

Things that made it easy: I use chrome and have a google account so all my bookmarks and passwords were ready to go.  I use a personal private facebook group to store links to various tools that I like having (easier sometimes than trying to remember which of my bookmarks is for what.) For Flamingvixen I have my DHs favorite bookmarks saved as a .html page on my website which I download and then install on his FF account.

The only maintenance I had to do was remove Norton (don't care for it) and download a new copy of adobe flash.  No drivers to install or anything.  My printer still prints w/o doing anything.

The longest part was waiting for windows to download and update all the stuff it does at start up. Then the restart dance began. 

Dance over.. back to surfing!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin