Author Topic: Moving Advice  (Read 785 times)

Sneezy

Moving Advice
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
I am in the process of planning a move to Dallas for the somewhat near future. I'm looking forward to this move, but I think I may have overthought myself into paralysis here. If you were to do a move like this, how would you go about it and in what order?

Work: I may be able to telecommute to my current job, but business has been slow so I am not against the idea of looking for work there. I work in federal contracting, which seems fairly active in Texas in general, but I'm not averse to working in a different industry.

The actual move: I have this one taken care of, but am open to further advice in this area.

Place to live: Find a place a mile or less from the DART rail that will allow five animals. This means I'll probably have to buy something (but I'd rather rent, if I could); and

Probably something else I'm forgetting.

Other factors that may come into play: I have a minor disability that means I can't operate a motor vehicle, but am otherwise able to do anything, lots of pets, unable to work on the Sabbath.

onikenbai

Re: Moving Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
Well it never fails that if you move there then get a job, your job will invariably be in the most inconvenient place possible from your home.  Having moved 23 times myself (two more times and I get a cake with a silver moving truck on it!!) I would wait until you have an idea of where your job will be until you pick a home.  In a perfect world you would be able to throw your stuff into storage and grab a furnished place or sublet for a couple of months until you find a job and then get a permanent place.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
I am hoping to move at some point (not actively planning right now), and you seem to have some of the issues I have.

Grocery shopping - since you don't have a car, is there a store near your potential new home or job? Somewhere along the rail line? If not, are you near enough to a bus stop to take the bus to the store?

If you have dogs, is there a park nearby? If you have cats/other animals, are there nice sunny windows and lots of room to run? Is it fairly soundproof, or are the neighbours going to hear them thundering up and down or having fits at squirrels (I am including cats in this one, since mine are bad for that!).

If you have other activities you enjoy (martial arts, nature walks, clubbing, museums) are they close by or easy to get to?

If you decide to change jobs and you end up renting, you might want to find a new job either well before or after you move. Rental places will ask about your income. I'd suggest before, but onikenbai has a point - it's hard to predict where your new job will be.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:51:19 PM »
Well it never fails that if you move there then get a job, your job will invariably be in the most inconvenient place possible from your home.  Having moved 23 times myself (two more times and I get a cake with a silver moving truck on it!!) I would wait until you have an idea of where your job will be until you pick a home.  In a perfect world you would be able to throw your stuff into storage and grab a furnished place or sublet for a couple of months until you find a job and then get a permanent place.

That's what I want to do. It is a little difficult with pets!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »
I recently moved across the country (New York City to the Seattle area) and one thing that made it a lot simpler was that we worked with a real estate agent before we got here. We told her what we thought we wanted, and she emailed us a bunch of listings. Based on that, we said "oh, we actually want.." (mostly about amount of space) and she sent us another batch. We looked at geography (online mapping and Google street view are helpful here) and floor plans and picked some buildings to actually look at.

Our nonnegotiables were that it had to be in walking distance of transit; allow our cat; and not have stairs. That ruled out quite a bit, but it's also straightforward to describe: the agent wasn't dealing with a nebulous "we'll know it when we see it." That sounds like it's pretty close to what you need, though Dallas might be trickier than Bellevue. If we'd had more time we might have found something we liked better, but this apartment s definitely Good Enough.  I'm still unpacking boxes and buying furniture (some things didn't survive the move, and we decided to wait until we got here to buy a new couch), but I'm pretty happy with the location. (The downsides I've noticed so far are either idiosyncratic--after many years in my previous location, I miss watching the tides on the salt marsh--or something we're not going to find anywhere around here: there are no subways anywhere in the Seattle area.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
Me again: we spent s bit over a month in a furnished temporary apartment, through a company called Aboda, before moving into our permanent apartment. They do have some pets-allowed apartments, though there was an extra charge for the cat. I don't know whether similar companies that do weekly or monthly rentals of studio or larger apartments (with kitchen etc.) can also handle pets, but it's not impossible.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
It's been a long long time since I moved a far distance, but I have moved frequently around this area.  I can give some advice there.

Stock up on tape and large black markers.  MARK EACH BOX with the room you want it to go into.

Have a 'last box' - the last box to get packed and put into the truck.  In it, put the stuff that you'll need the most when you get there, such as dishes and silverware enough for one meal, perhaps a pot, maybe something boxed that you can cook up easily, and don't forget the can opener!   Think of all those things you need to be comfortable immediately, and put them aside to be packed in this box.  This is the stuff that you'll be needing until the last minute. Towels and washcloths.  Sheets for the bed.  A shower curtain for the bathroom. TP.   Trust me, this will be your lifesaving box. 

I usually carry a backpack to work anywya, so I just used that backpack to pack all of my bills, moving paperwork, and anything *that* important that I needed to get my hands on it *now*.  It was a huge help. 

Don't forget the cash.  You won't always have access to an ATM, so have some cash stashed away somewhere safe that you can get to in a hurry.

When you get there......one of the things I always hated was that they unpacked the boxes first, putting them against the walls, then the furniture, which ended up in the middle of the room.  Argh.  (For the record, I have lived in some small apartments).   For the last couple of moves, I asked them to pile the boxes into the middle of the room, neatly stacked and lined up, then put the furniture around the edges of the walls.  That way, I could put the furniture where I wanted it, then unpacked the boxes around them.  it worked very well for the last two moves.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
Have you spent much time in the Dallas area? Are you aware how spread out it is and how many towns actually make up the Dallas Metorplex? You might want to spend sometime looking at the DART map. I think they have something called DART on call in a few areas that would probably be beneificial for those without private vehicles. Texas heat can be brutal in the summer to make walking anywhere very uncomfortable.

I don't have advice for relocating to a new city. All relocations I've done have been for a specific job so picking housing locations was focused on what was the easiest commute to work based on my budget.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
I agree on the DO NOT LOSE THIS BOX box. It doesn't go in the removal van, it goes with you. Toilet paper, kitchen roll, pack of tea bags, jar of coffee, pint of milk, small containers of salt and sugar (or a handful of paper packs from a fast food place), couple of knives/forks/spoons. Pack of paper plates or cheap plastic ones that you don't mind losing. Couple of mugs, kettle. Marker pen, roll of sticky labels, roll of small sandwich bags, pen, notebook (for Things To Do Marked Urgent lists, and Has Anybody Done lists). Flannel, handtowel, bar soap, travel bottle of washing up liquid and a cloth. Carrier bag or two. Bottle of water and bag of apples.