Author Topic: Was I "lippy"? Update post #17.  (Read 4959 times)

oopsie

Was I "lippy"? Update post #17.
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
I work in real estate sales and I received a request for additional information on Friday from someone interested in a listing I have. I told the interested party (I'll call her Caroline) that releasing the information would require her signing a confidentiality agreement and she wrote back saying she would come by my office sometime before lunch on Monday (today).

So, this morning I go in to the office and while waiting for her, I work on paperwork, etc. At 11:07am she calls me to say that she would not be able to come before lunch but would be by this afternoon. Unfortunately, I was not available in the afternoon and told her that would not be possible but that I had an opening to meet on Friday. She was incredulous and said "Friday, why do I have to wait that long? Why can't I just come today?" I told her that I had already come in to the office this morning to meet with her and had other appointments this afternoon. She very abruptly said that "well, can't someone else just give me the information? I don't want to wait until Friday." I took a second to think it over and then said, "okay, come ahead this afternoon." She said okay and then hung up. I could tell by her lack of proper ending of the conversation that she was annoyed.

I asked a colleague of mine who was going to be in the office all day if she would mind looking after this for me. I explained the whole situation, gave her the pertinent details of the listing, the paperwork and explained exactly what I needed from the client before releasing the confidential information. Then I left.

Almost 2 hours later, my phone rings and it's Caroline. I didn't answer but her voicemail said she would be arriving in 20 minutes. I called my office to let my colleague know. My colleague said that Caroline had already called the office to speak with me and "wow, she is such a nice person." That not having been my experience with her on the phone, I replied "really?" and my colleague said "no, she was a giant B."

She said that Caroline called asking for me and my colleague explained that I was out of the office, could she take a message? Caroline replied that she had already left a message on my cell phone was supposed to be meeting with me to look over some paperwork and my colleague said "oh is this Carole?" (she accidentally got her name wrong, innocent mistake) and she coldly replied "no, actually my name is Caroline."

Anyway, my colleague called me back afterwards to tell me how the appointment with Caroline went. She said that when she got there she was really grouchy but that she sat with her and by the end of the appointment she was much better. When I asked why she was so grouchy, she said that Caroline told her that I was "lippy" with her on the phone.

So now, wanting to grow and learn from my mistakes, I'm wondering...would you consider what I said to her "lippy?" I realize that I was not accommodating her the way she wanted but from my point of view, I was simply protecting my time/schedule and shining up my spine...

In any case, would her anger with me excuse her initial rudeness to my colleague?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:39:54 PM by oopsie »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Was I "lippy"?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
I think you should have told her that she could come by that afternoon (if it was ok) but that she would be dealing with your coworker.  You left out an important piece of information for her.  She still thought she'd be dealing with you and was confused.  I don't blame her there.  No, she shouldn't have been grouchy.  And no, she wasn't completely in the right.  But you should have told her that you weren't actually going to be the one that would helping her.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
POD to Dotty.  I don't think you were lippy, but I think you could have handled the situation better.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »
This sounds like a woman who didn't get her way and was going to make sure someone knew that you were supposed to rearrange your schedule to accommodate her.

Sometimes "professionally polite" is turned into "snarky", "lippy" or any other adjective when the person is not getting what they want when they want it.  I think you were fine.

reflection5

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:49:03 PM »
Total POD to what DottyG said.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »
I agree with PPs. She had no idea she was meeting with the colleague instead, so when she heard you were out, she thought she was being stood up. She shouldn't have been rude to your co-worker, and you weren't lippy, but I do think you made an error.

oopsie

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
I think you should have told her that she could come by that afternoon (if it was ok) but that she would be dealing with your coworker.  You left out an important piece of information for her.  She still thought she'd be dealing with you and was confused.   I don't blame her there.  No, she shouldn't have been grouchy.  And no, she wasn't completely in the right.  But you should have told her that you weren't actually going to be the one that would helping her.

Normally, I would agree however, she was acting rude to myself and my colleague before she even realized that I was not the one who was going to be there...

Also, she was the one who wanted me to just have someone else give it to her as she didn't want to wait until a more convenient time. When I told her to come ahead, I was busy thinking of a way that I would make it work. Either I was going to rearrange my schedule or ask a colleague to help out. In the end, having a colleague fill in was the best solution for all.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:56:44 PM by oopsie »

CreteGirl

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
Couldn't any of this be accomplished via e-mail?  I, too, would be annoyed to have to wait until Friday. 

I think you should have found a way to be more accommodating to your customer.  Perhaps by suggesting that your colleague handle the matter in your absence.

oopsie

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »
Couldn't any of this be accomplished via e-mail?  I, too, would be annoyed to have to wait until Friday. 

I think you should have found a way to be more accommodating to your customer.  Perhaps by suggesting that your colleague handle the matter in your absence.

Yes, but she was the one wanting to come in to the office to get it. Friday was the next day I was available to meet with her.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
Also, she was the one who wanted me to just have someone else give it to her as she didn't want to wait until a more convenient time. When I told her to come ahead, I was busy thinking of a way that I would make it work. Either I was going to rearrange my schedule or ask a colleague to help out. In the end, having a colleague fill in was the best solution for all.

Yet you didn't communicate that you'd found that solution to her.

oopsie

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »

Yet you didn't communicate that you'd found that solution to her.

True enough. I sincerely don't think that was the catalyst for her upset though.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 04:19:09 PM »
Not saying it was the start of the upset.  But it also didn't do anything to end it.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »
I work in real estate sales and I received a request for additional information on Friday from someone interested in a listing I have.

This is the part I do not understand, OP.  Would you rather be "right" or get the sale?  If it were me, I would go above and beyond to ensure someone interested in a property I am trying to sell gets all of the information as soon as possible.  I grasp that you are "busy," but your behavior here did not convey to Caroline that you were interested in her interest in the property YOU are trying to sell.  You are not doing her a favor by providing the information to her.  You are doing your job.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
I'm wondering in your annoyance about waiting for her during the morning and her being a no show came through? Per your post "I told her that I had already come in to the office this morning to meet with her and had other appointments this afternoon." 

A lot of people don't realize that realators spend very little time in their offices. And I'll admit I would be suprised if on a Monday I was told the next time I could meet with you is 5 days later. And as the seller of the property you are representing, I would be irritated to learn you were putting off a potentially buyer for 5 days.

This is more along the lines on how I would have handled it.

Caroline: Hi, I said I'd be by before Noon today but I actually can't make it till this afternoon.
Me:  Oh, I'm sorry, I won't be in the office this afternoon. I have appointments that will have me out of the office. I won't be available again until Friday.
Caroline: Is there someone else in your office that can help me?
Me: Let me see who will be available and I'll give you a call back. Or I could fax or email you the non-disclosure form and once you complet it, you can send it back and I can forward you the requested information.

oopsie

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »
I work in real estate sales and I received a request for additional information on Friday from someone interested in a listing I have.

This is the part I do not understand, OP.  Would you rather be "right" or get the sale?  If it were me, I would go above and beyond to ensure someone interested in a property I am trying to sell gets all of the information as soon as possible.  I grasp that you are "busy," but your behavior here did not convey to Caroline that you were interested in her interest in the property YOU are trying to sell.  You are not doing her a favor by providing the information to her.  You are doing your job.

Yes, you're quite right. Good point. This is why I love this forum. Not afraid to tell it like it is, lol!

I will use this experience to learn from my mistake and (hopefully) not repeat it again.