Author Topic: Was I "lippy"? Update post #17.  (Read 5342 times)

oopsie

Re: Was I "lippy"?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »
I'm wondering in your annoyance about waiting for her during the morning and her being a no show came through? Per your post "I told her that I had already come in to the office this morning to meet with her and had other appointments this afternoon." 

A lot of people don't realize that realators spend very little time in their offices. And I'll admit I would be suprised if on a Monday I was told the next time I could meet with you is 5 days later. And as the seller of the property you are representing, I would be irritated to learn you were putting off a potentially buyer for 5 days.

This is more along the lines on how I would have handled it.

Caroline: Hi, I said I'd be by before Noon today but I actually can't make it till this afternoon.
Me:  Oh, I'm sorry, I won't be in the office this afternoon. I have appointments that will have me out of the office. I won't be available again until Friday.
Caroline: Is there someone else in your office that can help me?
Me: Let me see who will be available and I'll give you a call back. Or I could fax or email you the non-disclosure form and once you complet it, you can send it back and I can forward you the requested information.

I think that was probably it. I'm not proud of it but yeah, I probably did reveal some frustration in my voice.

cheyne

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »
Voice of dissent here.  You told Caroline that you would not be in the office after lunch, then Caroline asked you specifically if someone else from your office would be able to help her in the afternoon.  You told her to come on by, not specifying who would be helping her.  At that point, why would she expect you to be there?  What difference did it make who helped her?  She was helped and got her stuff done when she wanted to.

You were not "lippy" in the least.  You explained to Caroline that you were in the office specifically to meet with her.  It's on Caroline that she didn't keep the appointment that she scheduled. 

Caroline had no reason to be rude to your co-worker (the person that was accomodating her lateness and inability to keep her appointment!).

I do have to agree with TurtleDove about the economics of "right" and getting the sale.  However, I think you were just fine and Caroline was an SS.

oopsie

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »
Well, I called "Caroline". I tried twice and got her voicemail each time. Not knowing if she was just avoiding my call or not, I left her a message after the second call.

I apologized for the way I handled the situation this morning and conceded that I should have made a much more concerted effort to be accommodating. I told her that I spoke with my colleague and was glad that she was able to sit down and answer her questions. I said that if she has any further questions, please feel free to contact me or to go through my colleague if she would prefer at this point and I would do my best to get the answers as quickly as possible. I offered my sincere apologies again and wished her all the best.

I may never get her business again but hopefully, she will at least respect me as someone who can own up to their mistakes.  :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Was I "lippy"? Update post #17.
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
I think you did good. :)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »
Edited to add: I see your update--good move!

I'm wondering in your annoyance about waiting for her during the morning and her being a no show came through? Per your post "I told her that I had already come in to the office this morning to meet with her and had other appointments this afternoon." 

Here's where I think you were "lippy." That phrase I bolded is essentially scolding, no matter what your tone.

. . . And I'll admit I would be suprised if on a Monday I was told the next time I could meet with you is 5 days later. And as the seller of the property you are representing, I would be irritated to learn you were putting off a potentially buyer for 5 days.

As either seller OR buyer, I'd be really upset that you were not going to do anything to help me until the end of the week--especially considering that I'm interested enough to come into the office and sign *anything,* even a confidentiality agreement.

I'm going to steal Hmmmm's script and change it to reflect how I would have expected you to handle it, were I Caroline.

Caroline: Hi, I said I'd be by before Noon today but I actually can't make it till this afternoon.
Me:  Oh, I'm sorry, I won't be in the office this afternoon. I have appointments that will have me out of the office. I won't be available again until Friday.
Me:
Let me see who will be available and I'll give you a call back. Or I could fax or email you the non-disclosure form and once you complete it, you can send it back and I can forward you the requested information.

I would NOT expect you to leave it up to me to think of some other way to get me the info sooner. I would expect you to do that. You are the one who has presented the roadblock; it's your schedule that's creating the big gap. And you are also the one in a position to delegate this to secretaries, etc. (Isn't that what real-estate-office secretaries are for? To handle paperwork like this bcs you guys are out of the office?)

Nice move with the phone call! Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:11:26 PM by TootsNYC »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
I like Toots' revised script.

oopsie

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
Edited to add: I see your update--good move!

Here's where I think you were "lippy." That phrase I bolded is essentially scolding, no matter what your tone.

. . . And I'll admit I would be suprised if on a Monday I was told the next time I could meet with you is 5 days later. And as the seller of the property you are representing, I would be irritated to learn you were putting off a potentially buyer for 5 days.

As either seller OR buyer, I'd be really upset that you were not going to do anything to help me until the end of the week--especially considering that I'm interested enough to come into the office and sign *anything,* even a confidentiality agreement.

I'm going to steal Hmmmm's script and change it to reflect how I would have expected you to handle it, were I Caroline.

Me:
Let me see who will be available and I'll give you a call back. Or I could fax or email you the non-disclosure form and once you complete it, you can send it back and I can forward you the requested information.

I would NOT expect you to leave it up to me to think of some other way to get me the info sooner. I would expect you to do that. You are the one who has presented the roadblock; it's your schedule that's creating the big gap. And you are also the one in a position to delegate this to secretaries, etc. (Isn't that what real-estate-office secretaries are for? To handle paperwork like this bcs you guys are out of the office?)

Nice move with the phone call! Good luck.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I feel the phone call was the right move as well. I would have preferred to speak with her directly rather than just leave a voicemail but I thought it was better than nothing.

As for the other points...

We have a secretary but she is not licenced and is not allowed to do anything related to dealing with clients. These are the rules according to our real estate board. For example, if someone calls the office requesting something as simple as the asking price of one of our listings, she is not allowed to give this information. She must forward the question to a licenced agent to answer.

Also, just to clarify, the information that Caroline was seeking is not only confidential but also fairly complicated and I actually felt really conflicted about even leaving it with my colleague to handle. I have had a lot of interest but people are coming in with a lot of preconceived notions that require further clarification. Not something that is easily explained through email or fax although it is possible.

Anyway, that is why I initially proposed waiting until Friday. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Just realistic.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
In that sort of a situation, I as a customer would expect you to explain that:
"Unfortunately, I really need to be the one to transfer that information, and there are some elements that I'd like to explain to you. I'm not in the office much--Friday's my first available opportunity."

But wow, that would seem like a long time to wait for information.

LA lady

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »
I think you should have told her that she could come by that afternoon (if it was ok) but that she would be dealing with your coworker.  You left out an important piece of information for her.  She still thought she'd be dealing with you and was confused.

You know, sometimes it seems as if people on e-hell just look for a reason to criticize the original poster. 

From the original post:  "She very abruptly said that "well, can't someone else just give me the information? I don't want to wait until Friday." I took a second to think it over and then said, "okay, come ahead this afternoon." She said okay and then hung up."

When I read the original post, my immediate understanding was that the OP was getting someone else to give Caroline the info, just as Caroline asked (demanded) that she do. 

On top of that, even if Caroline had expected the OP, that would have nothing to do with her complaint of the OP being "lippy" in the phone call.  It sounds to me as if Caroline would never be pleased with anything but getting her own way, at all times, not matter the inconvenience to anyone else.

OP, I think you were both polite and professional to someone who showed no consideration of you, your other clients an prospects, or frankly, anyone but herself.  IMO, you di just fine, assuming your tone of voice was as professiiiiiiiiional as your words.

oopsie

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
I think you should have told her that she could come by that afternoon (if it was ok) but that she would be dealing with your coworker.  You left out an important piece of information for her.  She still thought she'd be dealing with you and was confused.

You know, sometimes it seems as if people on e-hell just look for a reason to criticize the original poster. 

From the original post:  "She very abruptly said that "well, can't someone else just give me the information? I don't want to wait until Friday." I took a second to think it over and then said, "okay, come ahead this afternoon." She said okay and then hung up."

When I read the original post, my immediate understanding was that the OP was getting someone else to give Caroline the info, just as Caroline asked (demanded) that she do. 

On top of that, even if Caroline had expected the OP, that would have nothing to do with her complaint of the OP being "lippy" in the phone call.  It sounds to me as if Caroline would never be pleased with anything but getting her own way, at all times, not matter the inconvenience to anyone else.

OP, I think you were both polite and professional to someone who showed no consideration of you, your other clients an prospects, or frankly, anyone but herself.  IMO, you di just fine, assuming your tone of voice was as professiiiiiiiiional as your words.

Thanks LA Lady. In reality, I do think that Caroline was (also) rude, however, I definitely could and should have handled it better.

Phoebe

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »

LA Lady, I completely agree with everything you said.   Caroline was rude in not showing up for her appointment, for the way she spoke to the OP, and for the things she said about the OP to the colleague.  It was very gracious for the OP to call Caroline and apologize; somehow, I doubt the OP will receive the same courtesy in return.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »

I think you'd have lost the right to be upset when you blew off the original meeting in the morning.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »

The OP asked for our feedback.  It was not criticizing her; it was giving her the feedback she requested.  In response, she agreed that there might have been another way that might have been better in handling it.  So I'm really not seeing how the above is true.

The OP just said, "...I definitely could and should have handled it better."  And, to be honest, her followup actions did just that.  I think her phone call to Caroline was a positive step.  I think the OP did a great job with that call.  She didn't have to call Caroline back.  But, in doing so, she took a high road and showed that she was able to admit that she might have not done something she could have.

I don't think anyone is saying Caroline was polite or a nice person.  But that's not the OP's problem.  The OP can only deal with how she reacts in the situation.  She got some constructive feedback on what she could do in the future.  And she's responded to that feedback with grace.  No one is bashing the OP.  We're just trying to help her see this situation from another angle and offer advice on how she might approach it in the future.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:54:47 PM by DottyG »

GSNW

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 07:53:32 PM »

The OP asked for our feedback.  It was not criticizing her; it was giving her the feedback she requested.  In response, she agreed that there might have been another way that might have been better in handling it.  So I'm really not seeing how the above is true.

I think different perspectives are often taken as criticism when really, they are not.  Sometimes someone completely removed from a situation can point out things we ourselves did not consider, and if this advice is given in the correct way, I don't exactly see it as criticism.

I do agree that Caroline was a bit snotty and entitled, but in the OP's position, I would rather roll my eyes privately and be all sugar and honey to a person I am hoping to make a sale with.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
I think different perspectives are often taken as criticism when really, they are not.  Sometimes someone completely removed from a situation can point out things we ourselves did not consider, and if this advice is given in the correct way, I don't exactly see it as criticism.

I agree.